Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7000, WEMO Switch problem

mikewest
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000, WEMO Switch problem

Have Nighthawk AC1900, Model R7000 Netgear92. About 6 years old. Running mostly Apple devices. Have 4 Belk WEMO switches that work fine. Trying to add a 5th and 6th but software won't let me log into 5G network. Is there a limitation on number of devices this router can handle? Removed an old switch physically and in software and replaced with a new one and it worked leading me to believe there is a limit. Have done all the normal rebooting, etc.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
mikewest
Aspirant

Thank you Antinode for giving me confidence that there must be a way to solve the problem.

I have about 15 devices running through the Nighthawk unit.

I again plugged one of the new Belkin mini switches into the wall (the one I tried to install yesterday) and tried to find it in the WEMO app on my iPhone, was not there. Went to Settings on iPhone and changed from 2G to 5G (apparently it was changed during the dozens of times I tried to install it yesterday). Then, went to the WEMO app and it ......MAGICALLY...... appeared. I have no idea why. Was then able to add the 6th WEMO mini switch and all are working just fine. I can run the iPhone of either the 2G or the 5G network on the Nighthawk router and everything seems to work on both networks.

🙂

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> Have 4 Belk[in] WEMO switches that work fine.

Ok.  And how did you connect those?

> [...] software won't let me log into 5G network.

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F7C027/

[...]
      GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS

o Electrical Ration: 120V~/15A/60Hz/1800W
          o Wi-Fi: 2.4GHz 802.11n
      [...]

If "5G network" means the 5GHz network, then I believe that I can
explain that.  If your devices are different from that one, then some
more precise identification than "Belk[in] WEMO switch" might help.

These devices generally exchange short messages at wide intervals.
They have no need of a high-performance (5GHz) wireless network.

Message 2 of 5
mikewest
Aspirant

Hi.... Sorry I have not gotten back sooner. Was locked out of website for some reason. The first two Belkin WEMO devices were exactly like you showed in your answer, the older larger style. I installed them about a year ago. They worked just fine. The next two were newer mini smart plugs that I installed about 5 months ago. All four of them worked just fine so I bought two more. To install I would activate the smart plug, then go to settings in iphone, engage the switch through WEMO app till it found Wifi, then go back to settings and connect to the 5G network. This all worked just fine. When I tried to install the 5th smart plug, the WEMO app would find the smart plug but could not find the 5G network when I tried to finish the install. Only showed the 2G network, but...... would not connect to it. After numerous attempts, I finally removed one of the original mini smart plugs, physically and the software, then substituted a new one and set it up for a different lamp. It worked just fine. That is why I am suspicioning there might be some type of limit to the number of switches the router can handle. I would be surprised if the Apple 6S iPhone I am using would have a limit like this but I have been wrong before. Again, my original setup was fine for 2 of the older Belkin switches and 2 of the newer mini Beldin switches. I sure appreciate your input. Thank you. MikeWest

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 5
antinode
Guru

> [...] That is why I am suspicioning there might be some type of limit
> to the number of switches the router can handle.

I'd expect any limit of the router to be more in the neighborhood of
32 wireless clients, not six WEMO switches.  None of your numbers looks
(to me) big enough to cause any trouble.

I've done more with Orvibo S20 smart sockets than WEMO switches, but
they seem to be pretty similar in most ways.  I've seen the Orvibo app
(on an iPad) fail to get a gizmo configured using one of the two
methods, but the method where the gizmo supplies its own wireless
network (and you need to type in the real wireless credentials) has

worked pretty reliably (if tediously).

> [...] Apple 6S iPhone [...]

That's new enough to deal with the 5GHz radio/network?

If I got desperate, I'd try disconnecting all but the one gizmo which
I was trying to configure (until it's configured).  But no bets.

Message 4 of 5
mikewest
Aspirant

Thank you Antinode for giving me confidence that there must be a way to solve the problem.

I have about 15 devices running through the Nighthawk unit.

I again plugged one of the new Belkin mini switches into the wall (the one I tried to install yesterday) and tried to find it in the WEMO app on my iPhone, was not there. Went to Settings on iPhone and changed from 2G to 5G (apparently it was changed during the dozens of times I tried to install it yesterday). Then, went to the WEMO app and it ......MAGICALLY...... appeared. I have no idea why. Was then able to add the 6th WEMO mini switch and all are working just fine. I can run the iPhone of either the 2G or the 5G network on the Nighthawk router and everything seems to work on both networks.

🙂

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7