Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7000: WI-FI Pring sharing

melci
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000: WI-FI Pring sharing

Hi,

On my R7000 I have enabled smart connect to let the system intelligently select the best WiFi band 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz. But my HP WI-FI printer is on 2.4 GHz band. The devices (laptops, smartphones) that are on 5 Gwz band are not able to see the printer. Is there a way to share the printer between the bands?

Thanks,

Melci

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
melci
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. As you have indicated they were not on the same network. After modifying the setup, everthing works fine.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 13

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

The SSID bands have nothing to do with sharing, that is just how they connect to the network. It sounds like they are NOT on the same network? Do you have GUEST enabled, maybe either the printer or devices are connecting to that, those are isolated (LAN and GUEST network) unless you set the GUEST network to see the LAN.

Message 2 of 13
melci
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. As you have indicated they were not on the same network. After modifying the setup, everthing works fine.

Message 3 of 13
VE6CGX
Master

Give assigned ip address to the printer. All devices to access printer should have printer driver installed. Wireless band has nothing to do with network printer.  Another good thing to do is if you are on Windows create home group to share things. Also don't use smart connect. Just selecet a channel.

Message 4 of 13
TheEther
Guru

An assigned address is not really required for a printer. Most devices can find the printer just fine by other means (e.g. Windows name).
Message 5 of 13
IrvSp
Master

@TheEther wrote:
An assigned address is not really required for a printer. Most devices can find the printer just fine by other means (e.g. Windows name).

'not really required' is the operative word. Under Windows 7 my HP 310A although found would not stay connected. Contacted HP and they said make it 192.168.1.10 *specifically*. Did that and had no problems after that. Funny part is under W8 and W10 it can use any DHCP IP Address it gets.

I'll assume some printers could use fixed IP Addresses then?

Message 6 of 13
TheEther
Guru

Your situation could be unique to your HP310A.  I doubt HP would be so dumb as to require all of their network-enabled printers to use a static IP address, especially 192.168.1.10.  My Brother printer has no problems working with a DHCP address.

Message 7 of 13
VE6CGX
Master

Giving assigned address to important devices are benefitial. You can id. the device by ip address or won't get into trouble like ip address confilict.  Assigned address is arbitrary within the LAN ip addess range defined in the router set up. In my case I assigned address for

NAS, wirelss ip cameras, wireless printers for that reason. I don't believe HP printer works only with assigned  address 192.168.1.10.

Message 8 of 13
IrvSp
Master

@VE6CGX wrote:
I don't believe HP printer works only with assigned  address 192.168.1.10.

True, but that was HP's 'work-around' for that printer under W7 for me. Had to start the router DHCP at 192.168.1.20 to be safe. All I can say it worked. W8 and above, no need to do that. I think the real problem was the driver, especially after the PC went to hybernation. It sort of got 'lost' I guess, but direct addressing I guess worked.

I only mentioned that as maybe there are some printers that do either need or work better with assigned IP Addresses.

Right now I only assign set IP Addresses to the PC's so I can tell which one it is in the LOG. NG doesn't provide device names in the log, and on bringing up systems without assigned IP Addresses they will move around.

Message 9 of 13
VE6CGX
Master

Of course so. If you want to quick look at currently connected devices, run ipscan. Some devices will id. itself like Brother printer, other's will give MAC address.

Message 10 of 13
IrvSp
Master

@VE6CGX wrote:

Of course so. If you want to quick look at currently connected devices, run ipscan. Some devices will id. itself like Brother printer, other's will give MAC address.

There appears to be more than one IPSCAN for Windows. I've tried 2 and they miss names that R7000 can find. No iPad's are identified nor the Amazon Fire TV Stick.

Message 11 of 13
VE6CGX
Master

My favorite is 'advanced ipscan' which gives device name , manufacturer , MAC address.

Message 12 of 13
IrvSp
Master

@VE6CGX wrote:

My favorite is 'advanced ipscan' which gives device name , manufacturer , MAC address.

Sorry, doesn't cut it... see the screen capture when it appears... both the R7000 Attached Device list (which is correct) and Advanced IP scan...

Capture.JPG

Note the Attached List with names I edited in.

3 of interest in the NG listing, the .5, .11. and .12. .5 is the Fire TV, and Android device. In IPSCAN it shows as PRIVATE, so I'd assume any Android device would appear like that? The other 2 are NEW iPad's as of this week. Does NOT appear to IPSCAN... and that has me wondering as it sees a .2? That is the OLD iPad and there was a .4 as well  before. Where did IPSCAN get that info? The Browser Genie DOES have some problems under Access Control with the latest Official F/W. It doesn't seem to know of devices that once connected to the LAN but are off now, and then sometimes it does? Today it remembers the OLD iPad's, the .2 and .4 but not the SmartTV that was on a few hours ago at .7?

Capture1.JPG

Even the Windows Netgear Genie gets it right 🙂

Capture2.JPG

You'll have to wait for the captures to appear, but trust me, IPSCAN didn't get it right.

I do wonder where it did find the .2 and how or why Access Control 'not connected' missed the TV as well as others that have connected recently?

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7