Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7000 WIFI loosing connection

krisdev25
Tutor

Nighthawk R7000 WIFI loosing connection

My Negtgear R7000 router is dropping the Wifi connection on both the 2.4GHz b/g/n & 5GHz a/n/ac WiFi networks several times a day.  I don't have anything connected to the physical ports, so those might be affected as well.

All devices (Windows laptops, Macs, Andrioid, iPhone) experience the same problem.  Sometimes if I wait a few minutes every goes back to working.  A lot of times, I have power cycle the device.

I enabled the logging on the device, but I can't find anything.  To dig deeper I would need access to the internals of the device.  This is a networking applicance, it just needs to work.  The WiFi needs to work over any other features.

I work from home, so this gets really annoying when I am on a working session with others.

My firmware version is V1.0.9.88_10.2.88.  How can I submit this as a bug to Netgear or determine if anyone is actually working on it or if they will post a fix for this relatively soon?  Or if I just need to go back to a different version of the firmware?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

I'd first try updating to the latest firmware over a hardwired connect, then factory reset and do a clean install (not from backup). 

The latest is 1.0.11.110

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r7000.aspx

If that doesn't help, the agreed upon stable version for the R7000 is the 1.0.9.42 version. Again, if follow the install over hardwired connection, reset, and clean install for best results. 

Message 2 of 5
krisdev25
Tutor

I called Netgear technical support and spoke with someone. This particular person asked me to change the following two settings:

Web Interface -> BASIC tab -> Wireless -> Wireless Network (2.4GHz b/g/n) -> Channel: Auto (default)
Web Interface -> BASIC tab -> Wireless -> Wireless Network (2.4GHz b/g/n) -> Channel: 06

Web Interface -> BASIC tab -> Wireless -> Wireless Network (5GHz a/n/ac) -> Channel: 153 (default
Web Interface -> BASIC tab -> Wireless -> Wireless Network (5GHz a/n/ac) -> Channel: 161

I was asked if I had Ring system in my home and I don't, but I do have Netgear Arlo, so I think the technical support person chose those ports based on this.

After that we both attempted to see if the device could connect to the servers update the firmware, but was getting the "No new firmware version available." in the Web UI
Web Interface -> Advances tab -> Administration -> Router Update -> Check for new version from the Internet.

The current version is V1.0.9.88_10.2.88 and the new version that can be manually downloaded from the Netgear support website is V1.0.11.110_10.2.100.

I will download and update this firmware tonight and monitor the WiFi "loosing connection" or "dropping wireless".

Stay tuned for more updates.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

let me know how the firmware changes go. 

All they had you do was change the wireless channel. It can help if there's interference. 

Message 4 of 5
krisdev25
Tutor

Ok, so in order to get super confident about what was happening I decided to hold off on the firmware update and see how things go with just the channel changes.

It has been 6 days now with the channel change and no more problems with wirless connections being dropped.

I will keep it this way until the weekend.  After that I will update the firmware.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7