Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000 Wifi Connection Drop with high rate

_Saru
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 Wifi Connection Drop with high rate

The Issue: (Firmware V1.0.9.88_10.2.88 and V1.0.9.66) Probably others as well

Wifi connection drops very frequently. Sometimes it will reconnect within a minute or two, other times I have to reset the modem & router to get it back to a happy place.

It appears to happen when the download rate is rising, such as downloading a game on steam. (~20mb/s) 

Even when it is not disconnecting, I see pretty substantial packet loss (15% - 20%)

Happens on both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz signals. 

All lights on the wifi router stay on as if it is still working, but it clearly is not. Wired connection appears to be fine. 

Things I have done to fix already: (Suggestions from other forums etc)

• Factory Reset
  • Firmware update -> Factory reset & firmware update
  • change channel
  • change MTU to 1480 or 1420
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
myersw
Master

Re: Nighthawk R7000 Wifi Connection Drop with high rate

The issues you are talking about have been around for sometime. 

Some say the last good was .42. If you have not tried it I would suggest you do. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 11

All Replies
myersw
Master

You did not include firmware version number. To say latest or updated means nothing. Could be a new one after the post. 

There is a new version out for the r7000 have you tried it?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/NEW-R7000-FW-Version-1-0-9-88/m-p/1771390#M1...

Message 2 of 11
_Saru
Aspirant

Yes, I am currently operating on the latest firmware(V1.0.9.88_10.2.88).

And the issue was prevelant before the update to the latest firmware.

Message 3 of 11
myersw
Master

The issues you are talking about have been around for sometime. 

Some say the last good was .42. If you have not tried it I would suggest you do. 

Message 4 of 11
_Saru
Aspirant

I assume you mean V1.0.9.42 ... and if so, I am going to give that version a go and see what happens. 

I also downloaded "inSSIDer Plus" (some network monitoring software) just to check nearby wifi traffic and channel usage. It is quite illuminating, however I am unsure it is really all that useful for solving my current problem.

Message 5 of 11
myersw
Master

Yes V1.0.9.42. That seems to be the one folks report working for them. Newer Netgear firmware releases seem to have issues. 

Message 6 of 11
IrvSp
Master

@_Saru wrote:

I assume you mean V1.0.9.42 ... and if so, I am going to give that version a go and see what happens. 

I also downloaded "inSSIDer Plus" (some network monitoring software) just to check nearby wifi traffic and channel usage. It is quite illuminating, however I am unsure it is really all that useful for solving my current problem.

Not sure what you consider 'illuminating', but I'll assume you mean the channels. Youe router SSID's bands operate on one specific band (well, there could be a span on some that hits a span of the neext one. Many routes will default to AUTO... and that can cause problems depending on other router density and who was installed first and if all are always one (some can also HIDE the SSID and InSSIDer can't see those.

The object of the program is to show you 'who' is using what. Too many close the the channel you are on or even on the same channel can cause some problems. Use an empty or less used channel by changing that setting on the Wireless page of the router.

Do you have many users on the same channel as you?

Message 7 of 11
_Saru
Aspirant

Thanks for the breakdown, after quite a bit of reading I had made just about the same realization as to whate you have described.

In my area I saw channels with as high as 17 users. I used the tool to pick channels with the least.

Assuming people use the "auto" channel feature and aren't manually selecting their channels I could end up on a high traffic channel again (id imagine).

Also, I typically operate on the 5ghz (Doesn't have auto), so hopefully it shows more lasting improvement. 

Quick side question, I watched the Wifi Utilization on my selected channel while downloading something. In got all the way up to 90% pretty regularly, how normal is that? Does that point to some other issue? 

Message 8 of 11
IrvSp
Master

@_Saru wrote:

Quick side question, I watched the Wifi Utilization on my selected channel while downloading something. In got all the way up to 90% pretty regularly, how normal is that? Does that point to some other issue? 

I'm lost, where are you seeing this? An app for your network adapter? On InSSIDer? I'm only using the Free one.

Assuming it is your device telling you that, it could mean something or nothing? Maybe you've reached capacity or not? Maybe your ISP speed doesn't mesh with the device speed?

Message 9 of 11
_Saru
Aspirant

Free InSSIDer. 

When you select the Channels view it shows the Wifi Utilization or Channel Utilization in one of the columns.

It shows a progress bar with a given percent %. It appears to fluctuate quite a bit. I tried reading about it in the InSSIDer user manual on their website, but it essentially just told me what that column represents and you obviously want a lower percentage, but no more depth than that.

Message 10 of 11
IrvSp
Master

@_Saru, ahh, that is part of PLUS, the paid content. Sorry, using FREE (and also use Acrylic as well).

Decreasing the percentage may not be the intent of that? It could be telling to how close to saturation of the channel you are (100% would be max. I assume). Nice to know, but you have limited ways to improve that? Probably would know it already if you had serious slowness on the LAN or high amounts of buffering in streaming? High Ping times as well.

Solutions, faster ISP speed, better management of devices and which SSID they connect to (as a test disconnect one device from SSID and see if it goes down?), enable QoS which would manage the devices to some degree, at a penalty to overall speed. I basically assume it is like a load meter on  a battery?

There is a FORUM for the program at http://forums.metageek.com/forumdisplay.php?4659-inSSIDer-4, could ask there. A search of the forum for that didn't tell me much... but seems to be what I thought it was, but then some posts seem to indicate it isn't a 'hard' numbers, more an indicator that you could experience a problem and even not sure at what point/value that would happen? Some even say it is a device problem, not band problem (that I guess says it would be different when used on different devices?)?

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7