Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000 Won't connect

pikman80
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 Won't connect

I purchased this router on July 7, 2015. I was able to set it up fine, and it was working perfect. All of a sudden, it stopped work. It won't send out a wifi signal to none of my devices. I am running on Windows 8.1. I was able to connect my old netgear router just fine, but I bought the nighthawk so I could get a better signal throughout the house. I've tried reseting the router, unplugging it, etc. Once it gets going, it flashes the lights on the fron, from ports 1 to 4, as well as the one to the right of port 4 light.

Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
pikman80
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R7000 Won't connect

OMG, that's what the issue was! I was at the computer shop today, and the guy told me to bring it back in, he wanted to check something. I looked at the power plug, and tried one that was the same, and it worked. I feel like a **bleep**. So much frustration. Wish they would have sent those accessories with it. I never would have thought to check that, because it was getting power to it. Thanks for all the help.

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 21

All Replies
VE6CGX
Master

Won't connect to what? Devices won't connect? Router won't connect to your ISP(Internet)?

Little more details please...

Message 2 of 21
pikman80
Aspirant

Sorry. Yes, won't connect to my isp. It was working fine, then all of a sudden, it just stopped.
Message 3 of 21
VE6CGX
Master

Couple things to try:

1. I am sure you reconfigured or restored router configuration from saved one since you

reset the router.

2. Turn of everything, modem, router, your PC - wait for 1 min. or so -them turn on modem,

wait a few seconds for modem to settle down, then turn on our router, wait a few seconds,

then PC.

Problem solved? If not from PC use command ipconfig /all,  what do you see? If still no good,

ipconfig /renew, still no good? then ipconfig /flushdns let us know the result.

Good luck.

Message 4 of 21
pikman80
Aspirant

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : F*****
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Ethernet while it has its media disconnected.

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 6C-62-6D-EC-93-A3
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

And it flushed the dns fine.

When I connect my old router, it conects no problem.

Message 5 of 21
TheEther
Guru

Your PC doesn't appear to have a Wi-Fi interface. Moreover, your wired Ethernet interface is reporting itself as disconnected.

Are you trying to use Wi-Fi or Ethernet?
Message 6 of 21
pikman80
Aspirant

Either, or. I called tech support, and they determined that the router is pooched, and are going to replace it. Thanks for the support.
Message 7 of 21
pikman80
Aspirant

Ok, so...I have received my new router. I've plugged everything in, and it STILL won't connect. Everything is plugged in correctly. I have tried all brand new cables. What could be the issue, because when I plug my old netgear in, it works.

Message 8 of 21
VE6CGX
Master

By any chance did you try to use the CD came with the R7000 in the box to set the router up?

Answering the question presented, how far can you proceed?

Message 9 of 21
pikman80
Aspirant

I will try that. But it was working fine before the cd.

I wasn't able to find the cd, but i downloaded the genie software from the website. Here are the results from it:

netgear.jpg

Message 10 of 21
rpoffen
Virtuoso

There doesn't appear to be a wireless interface recognized on your computer. It should show up regardless of whether the router is working. Is this a laptop? If so, many laptops have a switch or command key combo to physically disable the wireless, are you sure it isn't disabled?

As for the wired connection, try a different cable, as the adapter is reporting it as disconnected. Make sure it is plugged into one of the 4 black ports on the R7000, not the yellow uplink (WAN) port. When connected to your computer, does the corresponding LED on the R7000 panel for that port light up?

If you still get media dicsonnected when connecting with a new cable to the router, but it works with your older router, then it sounds like you got another bad router.

Message 11 of 21
pikman80
Aspirant

Thanks for the response. I've tried different cables. Brand new and old. ALL cables I tried worked with my old netgear router, but not my new one. If I've got another bad router, then my faith in netgear has diminished greatly, as I've spent over $200 for this router, plus another $30+ for the fast shipping on the replacement. The only other thing I can possibly think would be wrong, is the firmware that is installed on it. And, since I am unable to access the interface on the router, I am S. O. L.

As a last resort, I'm going take it to a computer repair place I get my cable's from, as I have been going to them for years, and would just like to get a second opinion, as proof, that I am not crazy. Lol
Message 12 of 21
rpoffen
Virtuoso

What LED lights on your R7000 are on when you plug in the computer via cable? Do any of the 4 port lights come on?

Message 13 of 21
pikman80
Aspirant

20151001_112942.jpg

Sorry it's sideways. That is what I get when I turn it on and leave it for a about a minute. Then, all the lights turn off, and the 4 port lights start flashing. This is the THIRD router I have gotten from netgear. I called yesterday, and they set me another, priorty shipping. I took it with me to my friends house, opened the box there, and set it up, and it still won't work. I am getting very pissed about this. I feel like im just flushing money down the crapper on this.

Message 14 of 21
VE6CGX
Master

Is it really brand new or repacked used/returned unit? That LED indicator means it is not

in normal ready state. What if you turn the router off.  holding the reset button down, turn it

back on,  after 20 secs. or so release reset button. Any change?  Last thing to try is manually reflahsing the router.

A few Netgears I had, only one smoked and quit after about 2 weeks use.  Every thing else just

worked fine.  The burnt out one was promptly replced by Netgear via over night shipping prepaid.

Message 15 of 21
rpoffen
Virtuoso

My original R7000 bricked itself, all the LED's would flash and recycle over and over as if it was rebooting itself.

Netgear replaced it with no problems. This one has been fine since (fingers crossed)

Message 16 of 21
VE6CGX
Master

Often flaky AC adapter is the cause of funny problems. I don't use OEM adapter.

Instead I use heavier better quality, rated at 5 Amp. one I use. Most router uses

12V DC input. ASUS ones is oddball at 19V.

Message 17 of 21
rpoffen
Virtuoso

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. My replacement came with just the router, I used the old AC adapter, and it seems fine now.

If the DC is 19V for an Asus, that is a common voltage for many laptop adapters, so a good quality universal laptop power supply should work for that. They come with different tips, one would probably fit.

Message 18 of 21
pikman80
Aspirant

OMG, that's what the issue was! I was at the computer shop today, and the guy told me to bring it back in, he wanted to check something. I looked at the power plug, and tried one that was the same, and it worked. I feel like a **bleep**. So much frustration. Wish they would have sent those accessories with it. I never would have thought to check that, because it was getting power to it. Thanks for all the help.

Message 19 of 21
rpoffen
Virtuoso

If you want to go through the hassle, hopefully they will RMA the adapter given what you just found out.

Good luck!

Message 20 of 21
VE6CGX
Master

Just checking the voltage output from adapter is not  a gurantee it is good.

I made up a little cable, at one end is female connecter, and male connector

at the other end with a tap so I can read current draw. Also I have a oscilloscope

which visually check the output power. Often bad adapter is unstable or won't

supply necessary rated current to the router causing frustration. My back is in EE. When

I retired I hoarded some surplus test instruments which is very useful for many

things around. Lately most neighbors asking help is how to set up home network

or home theater. I don't mind helping them to keep my brain active, LOL!  Good to hear

it is all sorted out.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7