Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000 Won't connect

ian22red
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 Won't connect

Hi
I have just purchased a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk router to use with my home set-up because my existing Netgear router DGND4000 doesn't support Chromecast.  So I though of using the 4000 as the ADSL2 router and the R7000 just as the router. 
The issue is that when I do this I can't connect  to the internet

I have setup the 4000 in modem (full bridge) mode
I can connect direcly from my Windows 7 PC to the 4000 and then out to the Internet using my ****@plusdsl.net account so I know the "modem" is working correctly but when I then connect the R7000 to the modem and configure it using my plusdsl account I get allocated a 172.21.44.** ip address and when connecting to the internet I can only get to a BTWholesale web page on 62.6.38.125 saying the service provider can't accept my connection.

Any idea on what is going wrong?

Resetting my 4000 back to modem / router allows me to connect back fine to the Internet.  

Thanks

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: Nighthawk R7000 Won't connect

Hi @ian22red,

Welcome to Community!

What is the IP address of the computer when directly connected to the modem? Did you enter the ISP credentials in Internet setup option of the R7000? What is the firmware version of the router?

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Hi @ian22red,

Welcome to Community!

What is the IP address of the computer when directly connected to the modem? Did you enter the ISP credentials in Internet setup option of the R7000? What is the firmware version of the router?

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 2 of 3
ian22red
Aspirant

Resolved.

I tried my old Thompson router set it up as the modem connected the 7000 to it and was prompted about a clash of IP address range and that it was changing my 7000 to the 10.xx range. This all then worked with the Thompson "modem" so I tried my 4000 and it also worked. So even though the 4000 was in bridge mode there was obviously some issue with conflicting IPs

Thanks

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7