Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7000 as a base station

tony-h
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 as a base station

hello  new here

i have nighthawk r7000 router

i would like to set it up as base and use older d-link dr-628 as extender but dont want to disable security options on nighthawk base

would appreciate any help

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, then leave the R7000 as the main host router running router mode.

The only way to use the DIR-628 aside from router mode is this: LAN to LAN AP mode

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=40856.0

You would place the 628 in a remote location on 2nd or 3rd floors. This will need be LAN wired from the main host router to the 628 at the remote location.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 15

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

You can use the R7000 as a LAN to LAN wired Access Point. Just connect the LAN cable from the 7000 to the back of the 628. Configure the 7000 to disable DHCP, and all other features including uPnP, then configure each radio for your needs. The channels between the 7000 and 628 will need to be different. Farthest channel appart. 

Is the 628 and DIR-628? 

Message 2 of 15
tony-h
Aspirant

yes its a dir-628

your instructions are for an experienced user

a more detailed reply would really help me out

what about the security on my netgear  do i have to disable it

which mode do i choose for the nighthawk, ap, bridge, or repeater

thanking you in advance  i would like the connections to operate wireless

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

No, keep security on the 7000 at WPA2 and AES is preferred. 

Yes, set AP mode on the 7000. Once you save setting and it reboots, during the reboot process, connect a LAN cable to one of the LAN ports in back of the 7000 to one of the LAN ports in back of the 628. You might need to look at the 628s connected client table to see what IP address the 7000 gets. Use this IP address to connect to the 7000 in AP mode.

Which wireless mode do you have the 628 in. I have this router too. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 15
tony-h
Aspirant

wpa2

Message 5 of 15
tony-h
Aspirant

not sure what you mean by which wireless mode on dir628

Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

The 628 is a dual band wireless router, however you can only select 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz frequency to use at a time. Not simultanious. Was wondering which freqency your using on it if any.

Message 7 of 15
tony-h
Aspirant

ok  its the 2.4

please excuse my ignorance as i am new to this

am i able to connect the two routers wirelessly

Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Check to see if Wireless Bridge, Bridge mode or Wireless WDS is listed in the R7000 modes of operation. You may see Router, AP or Bridge mode listed under Advanced Setup. I presume if any one of those is not present, then wireless bridge mode isn't supported and you can't wirelessly connect them. I recommend using the 7000 in AP mode so you can take full and better advantage of it's wireless capabilities as the 628 is older N mode and only supports up to 300Mb max on either 2.4 or 5Ghz. Also the 628 maybe Draft N as well. It's kind of old now.

Message 9 of 15
tony-h
Aspirant

from what i read in ap mode the netgear will act as the extension of an existing router  i am comfused on the bridge mode and the repeating mode

i want the netgear to be the base and the dir628 to be the extension  the bridge mode has wireless settings

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you wanting the R7000 to be the main router thats connected to the ISP modem? If so, then run the R7000 in normal router mode.

If your wanting to use the 628 as the main host router, then you can LAN to LAN wire connect the R7000 to the 628 or try wireless bridge mode if the R7000 has that feature.

You can use the DIR-628 as a wired AP, LAN to LAN only. The 628 does not have or support any wireless bridging or repeating.

Bridge mode means that one wireless device like a wireless bridge device connects to the main host routers wifi SSID name and PW. This is just a wireless connection between these two devices. On the back of the wireless bridged device will be LAN ports. Any wired LAN cable device can then connect to the wireless bridge device here for internet connection thru the wireless bridged connection to the main host router.

Repeater mode means that a wireless device that supports repeating, is connecting to the main host routers SSID name and PW, this is just a connection. Then this same device will re-broadcast the signal with the same SSID name and pw to remote locations based on where the repeater device is placed away from the main host router. This repeater device can also have LAN ports in back for additional connections thru the device. So like wireless bridging however the wifi signal is repeated and re-broadcast and wireless clients can connect to this repeater device.

AP mode means just that, a stand along wireless access point where wireless signal is broadcast and any client can connect to it's SSID name with a PW.

Message 11 of 15
tony-h
Aspirant

yes Smiley Happy  isp modem-netgear-dir628

i want the dir to boost wireless signals to remote rooms

now just curious about config settings on netgear  if lan to lan is onl option i can run a cable  i just want to extend wireless range to 2nd and 3rd floors

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, then leave the R7000 as the main host router running router mode.

The only way to use the DIR-628 aside from router mode is this: LAN to LAN AP mode

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=40856.0

You would place the 628 in a remote location on 2nd or 3rd floors. This will need be LAN wired from the main host router to the 628 at the remote location.

Message 13 of 15
tony-h
Aspirant

thank you for your help  connection successful Robot Happy

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome, enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors