Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000 connectivity problem with ARRIS

tebtech
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 connectivity problem with ARRIS

Hi, new member here. So here is my quandry:
Equipment: Arris TG3452A gateway and Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router plugged into Port #1 on Arris(not sure that matters)
- Had Arris running in bridge mode using Netgear as the router (this has been working normally for over a year)
- Have set SSIDs on Netgear for 2.4 and 5ghz, with channel as auto on 2.4 (looks like it is using ch 10) and 513 on 5ghz
- WPA2 security
Now the fun begins > Last Friday with a slight power glitch connectivity drops, Arris reboots and now Netgear will not connect to internet.
Reboot Netgear same problem.
Try to log into Arris but it won't take my password that I created way back when. Hmmm, that's weird.
Call ISP and they reset it back to factory default. Try to log in as admin again with password as password. Nope !
Now try preshared key from label. Nope!
One of ISP techs said that Arris did firmware update 2 weeks ago and that when the gateway restarted they think the user name got changed to password in error. Really? Anyway tried that with password as password again. NOPE ! Tried preshared key...NOPE!! Now getting annoying.
Ok next day another factory reset is done and now I could get in with admin and preshared key as pw. ISP said they have never seen password as password not work after reset.
Ok, now I can get into gateway BUT when gateway is set to bridge mode , the Netgear will not receive internet. Sooo, took Arris out of bridge mode and Netgear gets internet connectivity. Netgear retained the SSIDs I set with the WPA2 security and Arris has its' own SSIDs and security.
All devices in the house are working ok, but I'm now sitting here with two routers running at the same time which I understand is not a great idea.
Does anyone have a clue as to what may have happened and/or how to remedy this so the Netgear connects with Arris in bridge mode again ?
The ISP has kind of throwin' in the towel.
BTW I use the Netgear because it's range is better than the Arris in my house.
Thanks for any help.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R7000 connectivity problem with ARRIS

Not sure why the arris bridge mode won't work. 

What you can do though if you're just using the netgear for wireless is to place the R7000 in AP mode. (access point). 

this disables its routing functions and leaves the arris to manage though.

You even have the option of running both wifi networks. Just make sure that they're using different wireless channels so they don't interfere. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Not sure why the arris bridge mode won't work. 

What you can do though if you're just using the netgear for wireless is to place the R7000 in AP mode. (access point). 

this disables its routing functions and leaves the arris to manage though.

You even have the option of running both wifi networks. Just make sure that they're using different wireless channels so they don't interfere. 

Message 2 of 3
tebtech
Aspirant

Thanks for the response. Yes, the ARRIS bridge mode problem is bizarre. You are right, I think I'll make the Netgear an access point with the same SSIDs as the Arris but with different channels. This also creates a backup wireless connectivity if after a power glitch the Netgear doesn't come back up but the ARRIS does.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7