Re: Nighthawk R7000 firmware V1.0.9.26_10.2.31 still drops WIFI!

illest33
Luminary

Nighthawk R7000 firmware V1.0.9.26_10.2.31 still drops WIFI!

I have had issues with the wifi dropping out completely on firmware version V1.0.9.26. It's been going on for a long time. Supposedly it was patched with 10.2.31 but it still did not fix the problem. The wifi goes down on both 2.4G and 5G every single day. Devices aren't able to get an IP from dhcp server. Devices will not connect when the wifi is down. The router still broadcasts both ssid's fine. A hard reboot fixes the wifi connection issues but it then comes back. The firmware V1.0.9.26_10.2.31 does not fix anything. When I have friends over and they bring their PC's they are able to connect through wifi but all apps say they are disconnected. Speed test fails to start. You can ping the router through wireless but it will not load web pages. How does this firmware even get approved without testing?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 33

@illest33 wrote:

A hard reboot fixes the wifi connection issues but it then comes back.

What about a factory reset? Tried that too?

The consensus is that the latest firmware fixes many of the 2.4 GHz issues that Google inflicted on the world just before Christmas. (5GHz suggests something else.) But it also helps to ensure that your Chromecast and Android stuff is up to date.

There's a load of stuff on this issue in the forum archives.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 33
illest33
Luminary

@michaelkenwardwrote:

@illest33wrote:

A hard reboot fixes the wifi connection issues but it then comes back.

What about a factory reset? Tried that too?

The consensus is that the latest firmware fixes many of the 2.4 GHz issues that Google inflicted on the world just before Christmas. (5GHz suggests something else.) But it also helps to ensure that your Chromecast and Android stuff is up to date.

There's a load of stuff on this issue in the forum archives.

Factory reset has been done multiple times. All devices are updated that fixes the packet flooding issue with android and chromecast.

Message 3 of 33
illest33
Luminary

@Case850wrote:

>>> Factory reset has been done multiple times. All devices are updated that fixes the packet flooding issue with android and chromecast.

The combination of updating router firmware & Google firmware has solved the problem for the vast majority of people. However you may have additional problems that need to be identified. It may be a router hardware issue or it may be an environmental interference issues that is causing the router wifi to fail.

You listed these devices on another thread, Android (2), PC (2), Samsung TV (2).

1 Are these absolutely all the devices connecting to your network?

2 Can you state the version number all your devices and Google patches you have installed?

3 What type of ISP connection do you have? Does it use a splitter/filter?

4 Do you have any other wireless devices such as cordless phones that may be a source of wireless interference?

The more information you can provide the better.

1. Yes

2. All are on 11.9.75

3. Coax no splitters

4. No tx devices 

Channels are spread out enough for the least interference as possible. Getting -50dBm on both networks. The older firmware worked fine and wifi was stable. V1.0.9.26 has wifi disconnections/drops every day. Thinking about flashing to DD-WRT. 

Message 4 of 33
illest33
Luminary

@Case850wrote:

@illest33

>>> The older firmware worked fine and wifi was stable. V1.0.9.26 has wifi disconnections/drops every day. Thinking about flashing to DD-WRT. 

Your not providing detail information about your devices because I can see that you believe the problem to be the R7000 firmware. I cannot help you if you have already made up your mind the problem is with the R7000 firmware.

I just gave you the information you asked for....what else do you need?

1 Are these absolutely all the devices connecting to your network?

2 Can you state the version number all your devices and Google patches you have installed?

3 What type of ISP connection do you have? Does it use a splitter/filter?

4 Do you have any other wireless devices such as cordless phones that may be a source of wireless interference?

The more information you can provide the better.

1. Yes

2. All are on 11.9.75

3. Coax no splitters

4. No tx devices 

Message 5 of 33
illest33
Luminary

@Case850wrote: 

Your not providing detail information about your devices because I can see that you believe the problem to be the R7000 firmware. I cannot help you if you have already made up your mind the problem is with the R7000 firmware.

Version number is pretty generic. Are you talking about OS build version, firmware or model version/rev? Do you mean the version of Google Play services because I gave you that information. You need to be more specific to what detailed information you are asking for. I can't give you acurate data when you aren't asking specific enough questions. 

Message 6 of 33
illest33
Luminary

@Case850wrote:

It would be useful to provide model number of each device, OS version and apps particularly the Home/Cast apps.

Also, does the router log provide any clues about the wifi failure?

UN55MU6300F, v1520, default apps installed factory reset

UN40MU6300FXZA, v1520, default apps installed factory reset

G-2PW4100 sailfish, android 7.1.2 homecast not installed

XT1635-02, 7.1.1 android homecast not installed

I do not see anything in the log but there was a disconnection yesterday. I just cleared it.

Message 7 of 33
illest33
Luminary

@Case850wrote:

Can you install on Android and have a look at channels on the 2.4G & 5G bands

Wifi Analyzer

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

Stated channels are spread out and dBm strength in 6th post. 

Message 8 of 33
jwmarrott
Luminary

Agreed that there are still issues.  No Google devices.  2.4 was good for about a week. Then I drop 2.4 at least once a day.

Message 9 of 33
illest33
Luminary

@Case850wrote:

@jwmarrott, There will always be problems as long as there is change. The only constant is change, so unless specific problems are identified they will not be solved. If you have a problem outside the Google MDNS bug then you need to provide some meaningful information for the Engineering Team to work with.

Woke up this morning and 2.4G was broadcasting but no devices could connect to it. Checked the logs and nothing was reported. Checked to see if any devices were still connected to the 2.4G and none were. 5G was working fine and devices were connecting to it fine. All devices on my network are up to date so it's the router that is causing the disconnections of 2.4G. So we solved something so far. Now we know its the router. The engineering team needs to test this with devices we listed and test the firmware. I am confident they can replicate the same problem we are all having. I mean if we are seeing disconnects within a day or two then they should see the same results. I disabled the 2.4G for now to see how the 5G will hold up. If the 5G goes down like the 2.4G did then its time for a new router. When I bought the R7000 when it first came out the wifi was working just fine. They have implemented or changed something in the firmware that causes stability issues they can't figure out yet. 

Message 10 of 33
illest33
Luminary

@jwmarrottwrote:

Agreed that there are still issues.  No Google devices.  2.4 was good for about a week. Then I drop 2.4 at least once a day.

No google devices here either. Just android phones and two tv's which are all updated to the latest version. Every single device in my house is on the latest version. (firmware/os/patch) Mine still broadcasts the SSID but devices are unable to connect to the 2.4G network. About 2 weeks ago the 5G was doing the same thing but since the new netgear patch 10.2.31 now the 2.4G is doing the same thing. Netgear needs to test this firmware or just go back before 1.0.9.26 and impement the security patches. 

Message 11 of 33
rogier64
Luminary

Do yourself a favor and flash alternative firmware to get rid of the problems.

Message 12 of 33
illest33
Luminary

5G just went down! The 2.4G was disabled about 2 hours ago and a reboot was initiated. Access control has been enabled and disabled. Now it is enabled to allow ALL NEW DEVICES to connect. If the wifi goes down again I am changing the firmware to a third party. Netgear firmware is completely trash. Never buying another Netgear product again. 

Message 13 of 33

@illest33 wrote:

@jwmarrottwrote:

No google devices here either. Just android phones and two tv's which are all updated to the latest version. atches. 

I have bad news for you, Android phones are Google devices. Worse, Google may not have updated them as rapidly as it has other devices.

People learned that lesson the hard way, when the Chromecast thing was at its peak. Disabling Chromecast devices did not fix things, so thoughts turned to Android. It turns out that there are more "Google inside" things out there than people thought.

This is no guarantee that you suffer from Chromecast disease – there's plenty of evidence out there that this isn't the sole issue here – just a warning about jumping to conclusions.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 14 of 33
rogier64
Luminary

I'm sure it is not (only) a Google thing. I now use XWRT-Vortex for 9 months and I have never experienced any problems. The whole Wi-Fi dropping, spontaneous reboot, slow internet, wifi connection but no internet access, etc., I do not have it with my R7000. The hardware is fine, thank God there are quite a lot of alternative firmwares available.

Message 15 of 33
illest33
Luminary

@michaelkenwardwrote:

@illest33wrote:

@jwmarrottwrote:

No google devices here either. Just android phones and two tv's which are all updated to the latest version. atches. 

I have bad news for you, Android phones are Google devices. Worse, Google may not have updated them as rapidly as it has other devices.

People learned that lesson the hard way, when the Chromecast thing was at its peak. Disabling Chromecast devices did not fix things, so thoughts turned to Android. It turns out that there are more "Google inside" things out there than people thought.

This is no guarantee that you suffer from Chromecast disease – there's plenty of evidence out there that this isn't the sole issue here – just a warning about jumping to conclusions.

Now you're making things up. Chromecast disease isn't a thing. There is plenty of evidence that this firmware has had wifi stability issues years before the chromecast bug came about. You might want to check website reviews on the R7000 routers from 2+ years ago describing the wifi problems. Stop defending netgear and blaming chromecast. You're starting to sound like intel and microsoft. 

Message 16 of 33
illest33
Luminary

@rogier64wrote:

I'm sure it is not (only) a Google thing. I now use XWRT-Vortex for 9 months and I have never experienced any problems. The whole Wi-Fi dropping, spontaneous reboot, slow internet, wifi connection but no internet access, etc., I do not have it with my R7000. The hardware is fine, thank God there are quite a lot of alternative firmwares available.

Like many customer reviews have stated, wifi problems stay away. These reviews were out months to years before chromecast. Rogie, you have XWRT-Vortex for 9 months and the wifi is stable without issues. This proves that it's a netgear firmware problem. I will be flashing mine to vortex tonight and I will report back if the wifi drops. Twice so far today. 

Message 17 of 33

Now you're making things up. Chromecast disease isn't a thing. There is plenty of evidence that this firmware has had wifi stability issues years before the chromecast bug came about. You might want to check website reviews on the R7000 routers from 2+ years ago describing the wifi problems. Stop defending netgear and blaming chromecast. You're starting to sound like intel and microsoft. 

Oh dear. thought we'd nailed that one weeks ago.

I really can't be bothered to go all over that again, so I will point you at these discussions:

R7000 keeps losing 2.4GHz wireless connectivity - NETGEAR Communities

Nighthawk D7000 2.4Ghz WiFi issues - NETGEAR Communities

There are more where they came from.

To sum up, there have been wifi issues with these devices. For many people it turned out to be the "chromecast wifi flood"

Google fuels up Chromecast Wi-Fi flooding fix • The Register

That quotes Google:

“In certain situations, a bug in the Cast software on Android phones may incorrectly send a large amount of network traffic which can slow down or temporarily impact Wi-Fi networks,”

Both Google (Android) and Netgear, along with other makers of wifi stuff, eventually worked out what was going on and put out fixes. Those fixes sorted out the wifi issues for many sufferers, especially those who caught the disease in October, when the Chromecast update went out. But there is a residual hangover of people who still have problems that are probably due to other things.

My reason for joining in was to warn that Chromecast, and the flood bug, are more widespread than many people first thought.

By all means, believe what you want, and ignore Google's statements. I was just adding evidence that it may not be down to Russians interfering with your Internet.

Just another user.

Message 18 of 33
illest33
Luminary

@michaelkenwardwrote:

Oh dear. thought we'd nailed that one weeks ago.

I really can't be bothered to go all over that again, so I will point you at these discussions:

R7000 keeps losing 2.4GHz wireless connectivity - NETGEAR Communities

Nighthawk D7000 2.4Ghz WiFi issues - NETGEAR Communities

There are more where they came from.

To sum up, there have been wifi issues with these devices. For many people it turned out to be the "chromecast wifi flood"

Google fuels up Chromecast Wi-Fi flooding fix • The Register

That quotes Google:

“In certain situations, a bug in the Cast software on Android phones may incorrectly send a large amount of network traffic which can slow down or temporarily impact Wi-Fi networks,”

Both Google (Android) and Netgear, along with other makers of wifi stuff, eventually worked out what was going on and put out fixes. Those fixes sorted out the wifi issues for many sufferers, especially those who caught the disease in October, when the Chromecast update went out. But there is a residual hangover of people who still have problems that are probably due to other things.

My reason for joining in was to warn that Chromecast, and the flood bug, are more widespread than many people first thought.

By all means, believe what you want, and ignore Google's statements. I was just adding evidence that it may not be down to Russians interfering with your Internet.

I've read through all those discussions. You aren't telling me anything new. What I am telling you is before the "chromecast disease" the R7000 had wifi disconnect/instability issues. Did you know that? We have been struggling for a long time trying to figure this out before chromecast was even invented. Netgear is lucky that chromecast/google play services has a bug. Now they can blame them for their unstable firmware. There are a few older firmwares out there people have tested to be working before V1.0.7.10. I've had this router since 2013 and the first 2 years I never had any problems. Also the patch that netgear released for the chromecast/google play/android fix has been pulled. Why?

Message 19 of 33
rogier64
Luminary

It may be that Asus (XWRT is a port of Asus WRT) has done a better job with their firmware.

Message 20 of 33
illest33
Luminary

They are devices that run google services which doesn't make them a google device. Like I said, all devices are up to date and there are no current updates available for any of my devices. The only solution here is to use a different firmware. Like many have stated the newest firmware and patch does not fix the issue so many users with some netgear routers are using ddwrt vortex and its rock solid. You can keep suggesting more and more things but I highly doubt they will work. By default those two options are already enabled. Access control has been enabled to allow all and disabled multiple times. Neither did anything to improve the disconnecting of wifi.
Message 21 of 33
illest33
Luminary

I am not home so I cannot post a screenshot. Either way its a firmware issue. If I have the latest firmware with the patch and all my devices are up to date then it shouldn't drop 2.4G and 5G. I don't know why you keep blaming google when this issue has been going on before chromecast and google services were even released. Please stop blaming the wrong things.
Message 22 of 33
Fiendishmuffin
Luminary

I installed this firmware update last night and have been having issues all morning. It started with my printer disappearing from the network (Epson ET-3600). Then I noticed it didn't have an IP address when I checked its network status. Then I tried to launch the router settings in Chrome and it failed to connect to the router (NEVER had that happen before). I restarted the router. Now I can access the settings, but it cannot identify any device on my network (I see boxes with question marks where it used to identify my macbook, iphone, ipad, windows laptop, xbox one, etc...). Now my PC is losing Internet connection randomly... and it's wired directly into the router. 

Can I roll back firmware to the previous version? This is junk.

Message 23 of 33
JamesGL
Master

Hi Fiendishmuffin,

Reset the router to factory default and reconfigure it manually. After that check if the same problem.

Message 24 of 33
mpgrimes
Luminary

I for some reason am thinking something environemtal. I have same router, same firmware, 2 chrome casts, 2 home minies, 2 android phones 2 android tablets, 2 wireless printers my xbox one and dont have any issues. I did have issues when i was running the ASUS firmware with connectivity issues from my LAN connections.

Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E