Re: Nighthawk R7000 freezes after a few days, firmware V1.0.7.12_1.2.5

bascaves
Apprentice

Nighthawk R7000 freezes after a few days, firmware V1.0.7.12_1.2.5

Hello,

The instablity saga continues with my Nighthawks R7000.
I have 3 nighthawks R7000,  One as Router and two as AP's.
It is the router one that is constantly given grieve.
After previous firmware issues now the latest is that every so many days I find my R7000 Router frozen/hanged.

1. You cannot browse/login to it
2. Doesn't provide DHCP ip-address for devices
3. Internet Access for devices is lost, However Leds on R7000 indicates on Issue, All LED's are nicely showing White Color.

A power reset resolves it for a whille. I have with every upgrade done this stupid factory reset and reconfigured the router.

The R7000 acting as AP's, V1.0.7.12_1.2.5,  are doing fine. Even after every upgrade without even factory reset they do keep working fine.

BTW:
With the previous firmware I experience other issues like slow internet throughput speeds, but no hangs.
I do not use any fancy features, QoS, Guest network, Blocklists etc. Enabling any addtional feature causes issues. Mainly that the internet connectivity for the devices behind my R7000 Router is gone.

I know the community is helpful and tries to help out. But IMHO Netgear needs to get their firmware act together.
I am thinking to downgrade again and rather have slow speeds then broken internet connectivity.

Any other suggestions (besides factory reset) are welcome.

BTW2: Several friends aks me about what type of SOHO gear they should buy. Despite earlier good reviews, Netgear isn't on the list anymore.

Brgds,

Bas.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16
TheWorstPing
Apprentice

Try the Asus ft 88u

or the Turris Omnia

Or the netgear r6900p
Message 2 of 16
TheWorstPing
Apprentice

Asus Rt88u * spell check is the worst lol
Message 3 of 16
bascaves
Apprentice

Hello TheWorstPing,

I spend 500 euro's on Netgear stuff, No budget left, just to swapped that out. I expect Netgear to deliver reliable and trusted gear.

Brgds,

Bas.

Message 4 of 16
Pluto8
Apprentice

Since you have 3 R7000’s, I would suggest that you swap the router with one of the R7000 access points and see what happens. If the problem is still there with the other R7000, it would probably be firmware or something with the internet connection.

I have two R7000, one as router and the other as access point. Both are running V1.0.7.12_1.2.5, and I have not experienced any problems.

Message 5 of 16
bascaves
Apprentice

Hello Pluto8,

In the past for other issues I already used one of the AP as second router to confirm hardware vs firmware issue. Sofar it was always it turned out to be a firmware issue, different R7000 experiences then the same. Because I did an upgrade of the Firmware and the problem issue again changed, at this point I do not suspect a H/W problem with this R7000. Specific it hangs just every so many days. Heat or temprature shouldn't be an issue either, because specific the R7000 sits together with my Synology NAS, TP-Link TL-SG1024DE smart-swtich in an open rack in the cool (~15-18 Celcius) basement where also my wine is stocked :-). Things are well ventilated. In comparison the R7000 AP's are in rooms of my house were the temprature can be higher, but keep running fine with those conditions.

Thank you anyhow for the tip. Sure I can do another swap again of the Netgears, but right now i have no suspision that the hardware is at fault.

BTW:
To be honest you get a bit tired doing these lenghty troubleshooting execrises with the Netgear stuff with almost every firmware release. Specific as you also keep hearing others about similar issues with their Nighthawks.  Before I had 3 linksys E3000/E2000 routers with a simple 100Mbps ehternet-switch, that setup ran fine with DD-WRT without touching it for ages.  I replaced this with a Gigabit-Next-Gen network in which the R7000 Nighthawk Router function is the trouble child.  Every device that is stationary and has a (Giga) ethernet port runs via the Gigabit Ethernet Switch.  The R7000 Router and AP's give wireless connectivity accross the 3 levels of house.

Brgds,

Bas.

Message 6 of 16
aubylife
Guide

I have updated the firmware to V1.0.7.12_1.2.5. And suffered long ping (400ms), used to be 7ms before updating. 

I use QoS for VOIP, so speed is very slow. But, it becomes better after disabling QoS.

Waiting for netgear technicians to solve this problem quickly. 

Message 7 of 16
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Switch out the "router" router with one of the "AP" routers, as someone suggested above.  If that doesn't work, try going back on firmware versions until you find one that works.

Keith

(3xWNCE2001, FS116, GS116, 6xR7000, EX7000, EX6400)
Message 8 of 16
TheWorstPing
Apprentice

it use to be 7ms ping to what? and now its about 400ms ping to what address?

Message 9 of 16
aubylife
Guide

7ms ping for speed test

Message 10 of 16
aubylife
Guide

HI,

I have only one router for r7000. 

Spoiler

Message 11 of 16
TheWorstPing
Apprentice

WOW so on speedtest .net your getting 400ms??

Message 12 of 16
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

Sue NG for a refund.
Message 13 of 16
theroys88
Apprentice

I downgraded to a firmware a few years old which solved the issue. I also changed out the antennas to 3 12dbi ones and our wifi has been rock solid. Speeds are up and latency is down.  The firmware I downgraded it to was V1.0.4.28_1.1.64. Make sure you reset the router after you downgrade.  I had trialed a Verizon Gateway router and had no dropouts but the speeds and range were not close. Definately was a firmware issue. Also do not enable downstream QOS. That crippled our computers and smartphones.  

Message 14 of 16
bascaves
Apprentice

Hello,

You go through the same as most others downgrade to some older firmware with a lesser issue then the one you are facing.  This not how realiblity works. Actually one would expect that overtime with later maintenance releases within the same major release version things get more stable due to simply more bug fixes. Apparently not at Netgear. Even worse that the advertised features,  which worked on other brands just OK, with Netgear gives issues. 

I appreciate the advices of other to downgrade to find a release that kind of gives the lesser pain. But that that was not my primary goal of this email thread. I would like to hear if others experience the same or similar issues with this release. And I still hope that Neatgear support reads this, because this is for most the only channel to report issues and obtain support from other users ( not from Netgear ).

BTW: now already for a couple of days since the last reload that R7000 keep running. 

I keep monitoring it.

Brgds, Bas

Message 15 of 16
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

So which one is the most recent stable version?

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E