Re: Nighthawk R7000 internet speed drops after firmware update

wml52
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 internet speed drops after firmware update

I purchased the Nighthawk R7000 router May 2018 Firmware version out of the box was 1.0.9.34. It was working fine with download speeds of over 100mbps which is what I should be getting according to my internet provider.  On 10/04/18 I ran a speed test and got 105mbps which is pretty much what I was always getting.

On 10/09/18 I made the mistake of updating the firmware to version 1.0.9.42 since the update the highest speed I recorded was 64.31mbps with the lowest being 14.39mbps.

I then tested my internet speed directly from the ISP provided modem and was getting speeds in excess of 110mbps.

I then reverted back to the original firmware 1.0.9.34 and performed a factory reset. Unfortunatly this did not resolve the issue and I am getting speeds of no more then 46.68mbps as of the writing of this query.

I have read many posts on various sites that state that this is a common issue with Netgear routers. Netgear was absolutly no help whatsoever as all they can say is my 90 day phone, chat and email support has expired. But they would be more then happy to help me if I choose to pay them a rediculous price.

I would really appreciate any help or suggestions as to what I can try next short of throwing this POS againt the wall and purchasing another brand to resolve the speed issue.

Thanks to all.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
IrvSp
Master

How did you perform the Factory Reset and did you manually re-enter all your settings?

Message 2 of 4
wml52
Aspirant

I used a paperclip and held the reset button down for approximately 10 seconds. Yes I manually entered my settings.
Message 3 of 4
IrvSp
Master

That is one of the proper ways to do that.

You using some settings that have caused problems before, Parental Controls, QoS, Traffic Meter? If so, turn those off and test. QoS especially if you have over 100Mbps service, usually don't need it for that speed and  above.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E