Re: Nighthawk R7000 keeps crashing

Pyroteq
Tutor

Nighthawk R7000 keeps crashing

This stupid thing is driving me insane.

I spent hundreds on this thing hoping I'd FINALLY buy a router that didn't suck, yet apparently that's impossible.

So what's wrong?

• Let's see... Apparently DNS will just stop working for no reason at all. I've tried Google (8.8.8.8) as well as Cloudflare (1.1.1.1) without luck. Netflix and stuff will continue playing but I won't be able to access any websites. Ping DNS servers will be successful.
  • Pages randomly fail to load and need to be refreshed (Not sure if this is an OS issue, a router issue or both) and then they load fine. All other devices in the house this never happens, only on my PC.
  • Router will crash, all devices lose internet connectivity (but stay connected to network) but I can't do anything except ping the router (Can't even access the router web page)
  • Sometime's I'll lose connectivity on my PC only, every other device will work on the network. Again, not sure if this is an OS issue or router issue or both. I've tried every possible method to fix this and the only thing that works is restarting my PC. It's as if the router just suddenly decides my PC is banned from the router.

Things I've tried to resolve the issues:

• Constantly updated the firmware pretty much every time there was an update. New features but never improved stability.
  • Setup IPv6
  • Changed my ISP login from PPPoE to DHCP (This was also required for IPv6)
  • Restarted the router over 9000 times

Setup is:

Telstra ADSL2 -> Netgear DM200 VDSL modem -> Netgear Nighthawk R7000 Router -> Clients

Clients include PC's on LAN, wireless devices, a wireless repeater, a wireless bridge, a NAS and consoles.

I've got debug logs if anyone cares to view them, I'm not sure if they contain anything useful.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lsna690vocxzlf0/Debug_log-wed-8-2018-netgearr7000-crash.zip

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4
Pyroteq
Tutor

Update:

Browsing web, everything ok.

Start a 700mb download that took maybe 15 minutes... That entire time I couldn't access any websites. Just got time out issues over and over.

This was just a normal download through a browser, not torrent or P2P or anything. I couldn't even access the routers web GUI during this time.

As soon as the download finished the router page loaded and other pages started working.

Someone from Netgear wanna explain what's happening here?

Message 2 of 4
microchip8
Master

have you done a factory reset and manually configure things after? 

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.86SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400 - Cruncher: Intel Core i5-7400
Message 3 of 4
IrvSp
Master

@Pyroteq wrote:

Update:

Browsing web, everything ok.

Start a 700mb download that took maybe 15 minutes... That entire time I couldn't access any websites. Just got time out issues over and over.

This was just a normal download through a browser, not torrent or P2P or anything. I couldn't even access the routers web GUI during this time.

As soon as the download finished the router page loaded and other pages started working.

Someone from Netgear wanna explain what's happening here?

To me it sounds like a browser problem possibly? Have you tried the same with a different browser? I'm reading it as the d/l started and then you could do anything else with that browser which is why I'm leaning towards a browser problem?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements