Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7000 keeps restarting

frankruiz419
Tutor

Nighthawk R7000 keeps restarting

So I bought this router about a week ago to replace a router that just couldn't handle all the devices we have. It worked fine the first two days and then started rebooting every now and then, the reboots have become more frequent now and after the second reboot the wireless stops working. The only way to get the wireless working again is if I turn the router off and then on again, and that's starting to become a hassle with the router rebooting more frequently. I had the 1.0.7.6 firmware installed at the beginning but have downgraded to the 1.0.4.28 hoping that would fix it since it has been recommended on multiple discussions. It still disconnected and caused the same problems. I've also switched the power from a brick connection to wall connection no luck. I have tried finding my problem somewhere else but have had no luck just similar situations, I spent a lot of money on this router so I would like to have it work without these problems. Please someone help me out.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
LeeH
Prodigy

It could be the router or the power supply.  Better to take it back to the store and swap it out for a new one. 

I am running 17 devices off mine without problems for over two years.  Best to get a new one and update the firmware to 1.0.7.10 and not change the firmware again unless you have problems that a newer version of firmware fixes or there is a security fix.  There is always risk in changing firmware.

Also did you do a reset after changing firmware?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
LeeH
Prodigy

It could be the router or the power supply.  Better to take it back to the store and swap it out for a new one. 

I am running 17 devices off mine without problems for over two years.  Best to get a new one and update the firmware to 1.0.7.10 and not change the firmware again unless you have problems that a newer version of firmware fixes or there is a security fix.  There is always risk in changing firmware.

Also did you do a reset after changing firmware?

Message 2 of 9
frankruiz419
Tutor

Yes I did a reset before and after changing the firmware...

Message 3 of 9
LeeH
Prodigy

Please do let us know how this works out for you.

Message 4 of 9
frankruiz419
Tutor

Quick question planning on returning and swapping for a new one tomorrow morning but would you suggest when I install the latest firmware on the new one I reset it after installing?
Message 5 of 9
LeeH
Prodigy

Absolutely yes.   Many problems can occur after a firmware change if a proper reset is not done.

Press the reset button on the back of the router for about 10 seconds until the power light turns orange and starts to blink.

Message 6 of 9
frankruiz419
Tutor

Just finished the install and reset, I'm hoping for the best! I'm hoping I don't have to come back to this discussion, but if I run into a problem i know who to ask.
Message 7 of 9
LeeH
Prodigy

Please let us know if this fixes the reboot problem.

Message 8 of 9
frankruiz419
Tutor

Been going strong since! Not a single hiccup thanks for the help.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7