Robynanne73
Follower

Nighthawk R7000 keeps restarting

I have had my router hooked up for about 2 months.  My internet connection is great, but the router keeps restarting.  It has been doing this for about 3 days.  I have done a factory reset.  I have done any updates.  I don't know what else to do.

We have 3 phones, xbox, 2 computers, 1 tablet and fire stick that hooks up to it.  Not all at the same time, but I was told this router could handle all this.

When I called for support they told me I need to pay 89.99 for them to help me.  I am almost ready to just return the router.  Please any suggestions would be great.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
JWS9518
Apprentice

Re: Nighthawk R7000 keeps restarting

@Robynanne73 wrote:

I have had my router hooked up for about 2 months.  My internet connection is great, but the router keeps restarting.  It has been doing this for about 3 days.  I have done a factory reset.  I have done any updates.  I don't know what else to do.

We have 3 phones, xbox, 2 computers, 1 tablet and fire stick that hooks up to it.  Not all at the same time, but I was told this router could handle all this.

When I called for support they told me I need to pay 89.99 for them to help me.  I am almost ready to just return the router.  Please any suggestions would be great.

If you are using the latest firmware, .64 or .60.. those are known to have issues such as disconnects and reboots.  I suggest trying .42 firmware as it seems pretty stable.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 10
FORTYSiXNTWO
Aspirant

@JWS9518How are you supposed to install the firmware when you can't stop the thing from rebooting every 5 seconds? I've tried every thing and I can't get it to stop rebooting long enought to transfer the frimeware 

Message 3 of 10
JWS9518
Apprentice

@FORTYSiXNTWO wrote:

@JWS9518How are you supposed to install the firmware when you can't stop the thing from rebooting every 5 seconds? I've tried every thing and I can't get it to stop rebooting long enought to transfer the frimeware 

I suggest from a PC direct wired to the modem, download the firmware onto your computer.... Then connect the router and try doing a hard reset of the router and then immediately update the firmware afterwards...hopefully that works for you.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 4 of 10
FORTYSiXNTWO
Aspirant

It didn't work kept saying transfer time out
Message 5 of 10
JWS9518
Apprentice

@FORTYSiXNTWO wrote:
It didn't work kept saying transfer time out

Not really sure unless you have a defective router.. maybe someone else here has a suggestion on what you can do.  I have never had that issue.  Wish I could offer more help.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 6 of 10
FixMyWiFi
Initiate

Buy a different brand of router. Have had nothing but problems with NETGEAR. Most expensive IT mistake ever.
Message 7 of 10
myersw
Master

@FixMyWiFi wrote:
Buy a different brand of router. Have had nothing but problems with NETGEAR. Most expensive IT mistake ever.

Could not agree more. Would suggest looking at Asus and making sure the router you select is supported by RMerlin firmware. His firmware is a nice step up from the OEM. Here is his site. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 8 of 10
FORTYSiXNTWO
Aspirant

Maybe it would help if I told you I was trying to set the router settings for use as a repeater before it started acting up..
Message 9 of 10
Tricky27
Tutor

Same issue here, for around 6 months, the R700 keeps restarting from time to time. 

Used to be mosthly at nights but now is anytime during the day.

When I bought it around a little bit longer than a year it was working fine with the first firmware versions.

I installed at least 6 or 7 different firwares going to older versions with no success.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements