Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000 loses WIFI connections during backup process

qzkhtw
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 loses WIFI connections during backup process

I have a wintel laptop directly attached, via Cat5, to my Nighthawk router.  I also have a Cisco IP Phone #7965 attached, via Cat5.  There is a 3tb Seagate USB drive attached to the 3.0 port, using ReadySHARE Basic.  I have approximately 8 -10 different end points connected via WIFI.  The router has a standard configuration, with no QoS (Firmware Version V1.0.4.30_1.1.67).  ISP is via a cable modem with up to 50Mpbs download.  The cable modem is connected to the R7000 via Cat5.

Regardless of whether I use ReadySHARE Vault or move the folders from the laptop to the Seagate drive, at some point during the process, the WIFI connections drop.  Ocassionally, I will also lose LAN connections (no internet access).  The interesting thing is that when the LAN and WIFI connections are down, I can still use the IP Phone.  I end up having to reboot the router.  I'm moving ~120g of data during this backup. 

I also have an iMac that backs up to the Seagate drive (different partition), via WIFI.  So the drive is mapped to the iMac.  This process also causes the WIFI connections to drop at some point during the backup process, where the router needs to be reset to recover.  This backup is only moving ~2g of data.

I have ordered new Cat6a cables to replace all of the Cat5.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and if so, how do I address it?  Are there router configurations that I should be using to move large amounts of data across the LAN or via WIFI? 

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
qzkhtw
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R7000 loses WIFI connections during backup process

I did perform a factory restore using the current firmware (V1.0.4.30_1.1.67).  I still experienced the connection loss, so I down graded the firmware to V1.0.4.28_1.1.64.  I haven't noticed any connection loss, as of yet, but I also unplugged the Seagate drive from the USB 3.0.  

I'll attached the drive, cycle the router, and run a backup this evening.

I've had connection related issues, usually associated with backing up large files to the network drive, for many months - using different versions of firmware.  When the issue happened, I just reset the router.  This is the first time I downgraded firmware.  I also had legacy Cat 5 cables that I recently swapped out with Cat 6a.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 12

All Replies
rpoffen
Virtuoso

WiFi to the ReadyShare drive won't have anything to do with the CAT5 cables (good quality CAT5e should be adequate for the connections), so I doubt these are the issue.

Where is the router physically located? Is it in an area that has good ventilation and reasonable temperature control? I wonder if it could be over heating.

Message 2 of 12
qzkhtw
Aspirant

Router is in the same room as the laptop and iMac.  Router is on a shelf with Seagate drive - no obstructions, so good ventilation.  The Cat 5 cable I have is legacy Cat 5 and not Cat 5e.

Message 3 of 12
rpoffen
Virtuoso

All the ports on the R7000 are GB ethernet, so if the device being connected is capable of GB, then by default they will connect at that speed, regardless of the actual bandwidth of your WAN, so you typically need CAT 5e minimum for GB ethernet. A substandard cable can cause various problems.

Message 4 of 12
qzkhtw
Aspirant

All cables have been replaced with Cat6a.  Haven't attempted a back up yet because the router seems to loose it's connections, both wired and wifi.  Lost connection after runinng several internet speed tests, from a wired laptop.  Issue appear to be with the router, either firmware or settings.

Message 5 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi @qzkhtw,

Welcome to Community!

Have you performed a factory reset to your router? Did it work before with other firmwares?

Regards,

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 6 of 12
qzkhtw
Aspirant

I did perform a factory restore using the current firmware (V1.0.4.30_1.1.67).  I still experienced the connection loss, so I down graded the firmware to V1.0.4.28_1.1.64.  I haven't noticed any connection loss, as of yet, but I also unplugged the Seagate drive from the USB 3.0.  

I'll attached the drive, cycle the router, and run a backup this evening.

I've had connection related issues, usually associated with backing up large files to the network drive, for many months - using different versions of firmware.  When the issue happened, I just reset the router.  This is the first time I downgraded firmware.  I also had legacy Cat 5 cables that I recently swapped out with Cat 6a.

Message 7 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi @qzkhtw,

Did it work now with the downgrade?

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 8 of 12
qzkhtw
Aspirant

The firmware downgrade corrected my connection issues.  I was able to backup ~125tb to both the local usb drive as well as the network drive, without loosing any connections.  I did notice in the log, that the network drive disconnected, then reconnected about 10 minutes later.  This was early in the morning and I didnt see anything that would have caused this (no backups were running).  Perhaps this is normal behavior and I'm just now noticing it. 

Message 9 of 12
JamesGL
Master

@qzkhtw,

You can try this firmware as well.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-firmware-v1-0-5-44-limited-release/m-p...

Regards,

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 10 of 12
qzkhtw
Aspirant

Thanks.  I'm out of town, but will try this version upon my return.

Message 11 of 12
qzkhtw
Aspirant

I applied the firmware and all seems to be well.  Also ran a backup with no issues.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7