Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000 loses wireless internet connection as soon as I connet cable to LAN Ethernet Ports

Fbrunet
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 loses wireless internet connection as soon as I connet cable to LAN Ethernet Ports

My router has been working fine so far. Recently I lost internet acces without me doing anything to the network.

I then upgraded firmwares on both my netgear router and my ASUS extender. Wireless access internet now works fine, but as soon as I connect wires to the ethernet LAN ports, I lose wireless access to the internet. I cannot even connect to the router wirelessly any longer. Internet access via LAN ports works though.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: Nighthawk R7000 loses wireless internet connection as soon as I connet cable to LAN Ethernet ...

Hi Fbrunet,

1. You can set security but it only uses WEP.

2. Try to update the firmware of the router and factory reset it.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
JamesGL
Master

Re: Nighthawk R7000 loses wireless internet connection as soon as I connet cable to LAN Ethernet ...

Hi Fbrunet,

Reset the router to factory default and reconfigure it manually.

Message 2 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi Fbrunet,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 3 of 6
Fbrunet
Aspirant

Thanks for following up. Well, I tried and it failed. As my Asus repeater was limited in range I decided to buy a R8000 as main router and use my R7000 as repeater... so far a big mistake as this caused two new problems:

1. I found out that the Netgear firmware does not allow to enable security modes on R7000. This is a imo a complete non sense as this gives basically an open door into the network to anybody. This problem has been already identified by others, as I realized too late. I had to flash a third party firmware to get proper security mode on the repeater. Question to Netgear: what are you waiting for to get your acts together with your firmwares, and how can you tolerate that your users are forced to move to third party firmwares to get proper security on their network?

2. Much to my surprise, the range on the range R8000 is significantly worse than on the R7000 in spite of the healthy price / spec difference. The router was installed at the exact same place as the R7000. Am I doing anything wrong here?

Message 4 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi Fbrunet,

1. You can set security but it only uses WEP.

2. Try to update the firmware of the router and factory reset it.

Message 5 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi Fbrunet,

Any update on your issue?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7