Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000 - mail problem after firmware update

KHeilborn
Tutor

Nighthawk R7000 - mail problem after firmware update

Hi

After upgrading my R7000 Nighthawk AC1900 to with the latest firmware V1.0.9.10_1.2.21 I can no longer receive e-mails. This applies both when trying to use Outlook or my ISPs (Ownit/Sweden) webmail service using my PC (HP Spectre x360, Windows 10 Home 64 bits, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2,5GHx)and the same happens when using my iPhone (iOS11.0.1). I get some kind of DNS-related error when trying webmail and nothing at all happens when trying Outlook.

I've restarted and reset the router to factory settings. I've tried using google DNS instead of ISPs dynamic DNS.

It works fine when using a cable directly into my ISPs router (Inteno 500). But normaly I have the Inteno router briged to my Netgear Nighthawk router. It also works just fine when the iPhone is connected throught 4G.

ISP support states they have not made any changes that should affect my ability to connect to them using either webmail or Outlook.

Any clues?

Best regs/Knut

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
KHeilborn
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk R7000 - mail problem after firmware update

Thanks for your reply

If you by that mean the normal quick start guide I've ran it thruogh a couple of times by now both on my bridged  router (Inteno500) and the Netgear router. Everything working just fine except of emails were both Outlook is having problem to receive send emails and the adress webmail.ownit.nu is blocked somehow. 

Additional info: I tried to use Kaspersky Secure Connection (gott IP address in Chech republic) and then got it working with receiving mail using Outlook and also could reach my webmail.

Regards

/Knut

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies

@KHeilborn wrote:
It works fine when using a cable directly into my ISPs router (Inteno 500). But normaly I have the Inteno router briged to my Netgear Nighthawk router.

Maybe the Iteno box is fighting the router.

Try taking the whole network through the startup regime described in the Quick Start guide, which is one of the things at the end of this link:

>>>> R7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

Message 2 of 5
KHeilborn
Tutor

Thanks for your reply

If you by that mean the normal quick start guide I've ran it thruogh a couple of times by now both on my bridged  router (Inteno500) and the Netgear router. Everything working just fine except of emails were both Outlook is having problem to receive send emails and the adress webmail.ownit.nu is blocked somehow. 

Additional info: I tried to use Kaspersky Secure Connection (gott IP address in Chech republic) and then got it working with receiving mail using Outlook and also could reach my webmail.

Regards

/Knut

Message 3 of 5
William10a
Master

Netgear has changes to firmware security settings on the routers firmware this may be the cause that they closed a setting that you need open for mail program to work with your isp. Security is a good thing on a router but may play badly with some services that play their own rules. 

Message 4 of 5

@KHeilborn wrote:

Regards

/Knut

Sounds like the problem has nothing to do with the hardware – it doesn't block email servers – but with some sort of network issues. Maybe your anti-virus software is getting in the way.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7