Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7000 needs frequent reboots

mnijskens
Star

onimic70 ,..that's not how read this thread..  maybe you should read the whole thread

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router, R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 26 of 70
mnijskens
Star

today again dramatic speed drop ! I'm getting fed up with this netgear **bleep** !!

New firmware does not help !!

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 27 of 70
Zsirbacsi
Aspirant

Hey there,

My Nighthawk R7000 worked really well in the first few months, then I changed ISP and upgraded to 1Gigabit fiber. Since then I have to restart (switch off/on) it nearly every single day. Both wired and wireless connections go off at the same time in random times during the day on all devices. It's really annoying. Might be too much traffic it needs to handle? 

It has the firmware V1.0.9.88_10.2.88

Maybe I should downgrade the firmware?

My second option, I am considering to buy a wired router and use the R7000 in Access Point mode to ease its workload.

Any advice welcome, thanks guys.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 28 of 70
Zsirbacsi
Aspirant

Sorry a few more details:

15-20 devices connected including 4 wired.

Guest network disabled. Parnetal Control disabled. No USB drive attached.

Smart Connect disabled.

2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz signals are set on channels not conflicting with neighbours. 

I'm running out of options. Maybe it's working on its edge.

Message 29 of 70
mnijskens
Star

hmm i'm finished with this router,  i am going to implement an option that I found on the internet. I will add a smart plug en reboot it everty night or once a week at a time I sleep 😉 

See : https://www.howtogeek.com/289178/how-to-automatically-reboot-your-router-on-a-schedule-the-easy-way/

it's not how it should work but it's probably a nice (and cheap) bypass !

But my next Router will NOT be a NETGEAR for sure !

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 30 of 70
mnijskens
Star

just spent again 2 3 hours .. resetting and reverting to .44 or .42 whatever... Initial speed 250 but after 1 hour speed was again down to 37Mbs. 

My Smart plugs won't connect anymore !! 

I'm Done with it !!! Goodbye to Netgear !!

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 31 of 70
mnijskens
Star

to be complete/....rebooting helps for 30 mins... So Smartplug is no option !

Message 32 of 70
DDozier110
Aspirant

I am having this same issue, How do i down grade?  I have reset, hard reset (pressed reset button). I currently have to reset (switch off/on) daily.

Please Help.

DDozier110.

Message 33 of 70
plemans
Guru

plenty of posts about it with a quick search. here's one for example. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/How-to-Downgrade-Firmware-on-Nighthawk-R7000...

Message 34 of 70
mnijskens
Star

My solution : the Netgear R7000 in the trashbin !! And bought me "TP-Link Deco M9 Plus Smarthome Multiroom Wifi 3-Pack"

Works flawless !!!

No Support from Netgear .... so never NetGear again !!

Message 35 of 70
bcjacobson
Tutor

I’m thinking about doing the same thing but I spent so much $ on this router - ugh! I’m tired of rebooting everyday though
Message 36 of 70
bcjacobson
Tutor

Smart!
Message 37 of 70
plemans
Guru

Another option is there is a ton of 3rd party firmwares for the r7000. Some have shown to work quite well as well as add extra features. Might be a viable option for some on here. Keep in mind that it voids your warranty and any support for it would need to go through that support forum. 

Message 38 of 70
BlondieSL2
Aspirant

You mention a version that ends in .44.

Is it possible that you mean, .42?

I checked the downloads (prev. versions) and I'm not seeing .44.  I do see and have downloaded ver .42.

Please clarify also, if possible, could you please confirm how things are working now?

I had to update my R7000 to the latest version due to so many attacks right now coming from Russia.

I also have to reboot this router as well as my internet Modem as that gets a new, external IP each time.  That helps.

But today, I had to reboot the R7000 becasue even with a new external IP, the router became very unstable, dropping all connections, both to the internet and my internal network.

After reboot, as usual, it's fine.

That new Armor thing not only doesn't seem to really do anything, but seems to just be a money grab.

Any time that I go into the Armor app, it always has 0 Threats Blocked!

It's NOT blockint those DoS attacks at all.

As for "Vulnerabilities" goes, it always says that there are 6 and all of those are my security cameras, which ARE secure.  LOL

It also complains, "Device HiJack vulnerability detected" and then suggests software update.  But at no time does it go into any detail at all about WHAT is the issue or WHERE the issue is SUPPOSEDLY being detected.

VERY poor implementation of this Armor thing.

Clearly, this Armor thing is crap.

I will be disabling it.

So I might go back to .42 as many report it as stable.

Right now, I'm on 

V1.0.11.116_10.2.100

Message 39 of 70
antinode
Guru

> You mention a version that ends in .44.
> Is it possible that you mean, .42?

"You"?

Does "V1.0.9.42_10.2.44" end in ".42" or ".44"?  How much of it does?

> Right now, I'm on
> V1.0.11.116_10.2.100

In what does that end?  ".116"?  ".100"?

Message 40 of 70
BlondieSL
Guide

Sorry, antinode. I don't know what happened there. This website is giving me a very hard time. If I do a google search which brings me to this forum, it complains that I cannot be authenticated. Every time! I have to open a new window, go to netgear.com and login from there. Then I come back to refresh here and that works. However, I was trying to respond to mnijskens. I did click on Reply in that person's comment. So the "You" should be to " mnijskens". As for my current version, V1.0.11.116_10.2.100, that is a copy and paste right from the router's window when logged in. The actual filename of this firmware is: R7000-V1.0.11.116_10.2.100.chk. Other than that, I'm not sure what you mean. 🙂 As for the .42 version, the filename I have here is: R7000-V1.0.9.42_10.2.44.chk. I will mention that with the version I updated to, V1.0.11.116_10.2.100, I did run into weird problems accessing my security cameras from my smart phone away from my internal network. Very odd. Some cams worked, others did not. I had to remove them then readd them to work again. At least things are working better now, but still, the issue where the router needs to be rebooted sometimes. Mind you, only once since the update a few days ago. I've also disabled Armor as it doesn't seem to actually do anything. But that's another thread. LOL I hope that answers your questions. 🙂

Message 41 of 70
BlondieSL
Guide

Sorry, the "you" was referring to another poster. I'm not sure what happened there. As for the version name, it is exactly as posted. The actual filename is the same as presented.
Message 42 of 70
David500
Aspirant

I have a nighthawk CM1200 that is about a year old and has the same problkem. It was expensive but I will pass on Netgear products in the future. They do not appear reliable. 

Message 43 of 70
ilovepoodles
Aspirant

I have this same issue.  It appears it's connected on the Netgear site, but my mac says can't connect to the page.  I have a Arries Surfboard 8200.  It will connect for a while and then just drop off. HELP.

Message 44 of 70
DDozier110
Aspirant

The way I solved my issue with the need for daily reboots was too upgrade to the latest firmware version.
Message 45 of 70
BlondieSL
Guide

Current Firmware: V1.0.11.116_10.2.100 I've tried several different firmwares from that 42 (I think it's really 44) up to what my current is. The problem is still there. While the problem is not "solved" I do have it a lot more stable now, as I can get a week or more before it starts dropping packets to the point of totally going off line (internally and externally). I should mention, that this router is ion my internal network and to get to the internet, it connects to a Fiber Modem which links to my ISP. This modem is in "bridge mode" which means it does NOT authenticate to the ISP nor does it do any routing at all. The router is disabled when in bridge mode. In troubleshooting this issue, I check the logs constantly. I A LOT of port scanning coming from Russia, China, India and other countries. Only a few from N. America. As I used to run a gaming server, I had a lot of special ports forwarded to my server's IP. In the logs, I could see those countries trying to mass scan and even DDos using those ports! I no longer run that server, so as a test, I removed ALL items in Port Forwarding, EXCEPT those that I need for all my security cameras. Since then, the logs are cleaner, MUCH cleaner and the router is running a lot smoother (not being attacked and having to deal with re-routing to an IP that no longer exists nor to a fake IP I set up so when the morons are port scanning, they'd just be sent to nothing. I also played around with different firmware versions, from .42 to latest. For me, the current firmware I'm at seems to be pretty good, BUT NOT PERFECT. The router still will slow down (dropping packets) then stopping completely. I do have 2 Command Prompts running 24/7. One that: ping www.google.com -t and the other pinging my internal router's IP. By having both pings visible, I can see if the drops are both internal and external or just one or the other. When I see the packets start to drop on the external side (internet) and internal ping is fine, I'll then log into the router and reboot it that way. That usually "cures" things for a while... IMPORTANT TO NOTE, in my case, my ISP is awesome because by rebooting my router, it does the authentication THROUGH the bridge and the ISP automatically assigns a new external IP (most of the time). I find THAT HELPS! I think that there's so much massive port scanning going on that it just eventually messes with these routers until their internal cache gets overrun and BOOM! It just stops working. Just a theory. BUT, since I'm seeing other models having this same problem in the Netgear brand, if I decide to buy a new modem, I will probably just go a different brand. Before buying, however, I will be doing a lot of research on their forums first to see what problem they have.
Message 46 of 70
spcrick
Apprentice

I gave up on every firmware after .42.. i tried every single one up to around 100 and ended up just buying a different brand router instead. Ended up getting an asus rt-ax88u and happy with it instead of using .42 which has so many security bugs.
Message 47 of 70
BlondieSL
Guide

Thanks for that. I'm going to research it. I love ASUS products. I will research this model and see if it has a full Firewall as well as DDoS protection, port forwarding and other features. I do need those 3 for sure. I do also need 2 and 5 Ghz wireless (fully configurable).... etc.
Message 48 of 70
ProfKB
Aspirant

So simple!  I should have thought of this.

Message 49 of 70
Jmadsen1977
Aspirant

Mine keeps needing to be rebooted how hard is it to reset and go back to .42 version
Message 50 of 70
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7