Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7000 not connecting to Spectrum modem

riktagena
Follower

Nighthawk R7000 not connecting to Spectrum modem

Around noon today, my Nighthawk router suddenly disconnected from the internet completely. When I rebooted it, it also turned off both broadcasted SSIDs (I figured this is because there was no internet connection) I disconnected both my Spectrum modem and the router itself, waited about 10 minutes, then plugged everything back in. Still no connection. I got on one of the PCs in my house that's connected to the router via Ethernet to check my router settings just in case it was something I did wrong there at some point, and that did not seem to be the case as I had changed no advanced settings like DHCP, IP addresses, router MAC address, etc.

I still have the Wave 6 router that was given to me by Spectrum, so as a test, I plugged that back into the modem. No issues, connected to the internet just fine. I then tested further by basically doing a mesh network, doing a LAN-to-WAN connection with the Spectrum Wave 6 router as the primary router, and the Nighthawk as a secondary router. Magically, there was connectivity. Internet connection light on the Nighthawk lit up and everything. Still not broadcasting connection points, but I figure that's because it was set as the secondary router.

At this point, I figured this may be an issue with the Spectrum modem not liking the MAC address of the Nighthawk or something, so I factory reset the modem as well as the Nighthawk. At this point, it starts broadcasting connection points again, however, I still have no connection to the router. The Ethernet cable is plugged in, just for some reason, not connecting to the modem. I'm figuring at this point I'll have to just get in contact with Spectrum support, but wanted to double check here before going through that song and dance.

Message 1 of 3
Kitsap
Master

@riktagena wrote:

Around noon today, my Nighthawk router suddenly disconnected from the internet completely. When I rebooted it, it also turned off both broadcasted SSIDs (I figured this is because there was no internet connection) I disconnected both my Spectrum modem and the router itself, waited about 10 minutes, then plugged everything back in. Still no connection. I got on one of the PCs in my house that's connected to the router via Ethernet to check my router settings just in case it was something I did wrong there at some point, and that did not seem to be the case as I had changed no advanced settings like DHCP, IP addresses, router MAC address, etc.

I still have the Wave 6 router that was given to me by Spectrum, so as a test, I plugged that back into the modem. No issues, connected to the internet just fine. I then tested further by basically doing a mesh network, doing a LAN-to-WAN connection with the Spectrum Wave 6 router as the primary router, and the Nighthawk as a secondary router. Magically, there was connectivity. Internet connection light on the Nighthawk lit up and everything. Still not broadcasting connection points, but I figure that's because it was set as the secondary router.

At this point, I figured this may be an issue with the Spectrum modem not liking the MAC address of the Nighthawk or something, so I factory reset the modem as well as the Nighthawk. At this point, it starts broadcasting connection points again, however, I still have no connection to the router. The Ethernet cable is plugged in, just for some reason, not connecting to the modem. I'm figuring at this point I'll have to just get in contact with Spectrum support, but wanted to double check here before going through that song and dance.

Knowing the brand name and model of the Spectrum modem would be helpful.  Also you have posted the same question over in the Netgear cable modems section.

Many people have found themselves in your spot.  The hardware initialization sequence and timing are important to establish a connection.

Power down your modem (pull the power cord), disconnect both the coax cable and the output Ethernet cord.

Power down your router and disconnect the power cord.

Power down your computer.  If it is a desktop, disconnect the power cord.

Take a breath, connect the coax cable to your modem and connect the power cord.

Give your modem ample time to boot and to connect to your ISP and stabilize.  Look at the LEDs on the front.  The internet indicator should be on and solid.

Connect the Ethernet output from your modem to the WAN input on your router.

Connect the power cord and boot up your router.  Give it ample time to boot and stabilize.  The router indicator showing internet connection should be one of the last indicators to stabilize.

Power on your computer and you should be good to go.

Message 2 of 3
wcalifas
Prodigy

I would try doing a hard reset of your router and if that doesn't work I'd revert to an older version of firmware to see if that resolves the issues.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7