Nighthawk R7000 power led orange is blinking after firmware update but internet is still operational

khyuga
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 power led orange is blinking after firmware update but internet is still operational

Hello everyone,

I have a Nighthawk R7000 which i use as an access point for my wifi, it never had a problem.

Yesterday i thought of updating the firmware which i haven’t updated since a long time. My firmware version was V1.0.9.18 and the last is 1.0.11.100.

I did the procedure via routerlogin.net, i launched the update, i waited, it was in progress and at some point the site said there was no more response and then the site became unavailable, routerlogin.net doesn’t authorize the connexion.

Now the power led is blinking in orange but internet works as usual on all my device conntected to the wifi’s router.

I m affraid to brick the router if i reboot it or maybe it’s already bricked ? Power button blinks since now 15 hours, internet works fine but i can’t access routerlogin.net

I read all the solutions to unbrick the R7000, reset, tftp... but i hope i won't have to use these.

What do you think will happen if i shut down and reboot the router ?

Thanks

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6
Portwey84
Virtuoso

Re: Nighthawk R7000 power led orange is blinking after firmware update but internet is still operati

@khyuga  Not sure if you've progressed any further since your post, so wondering if you've taken any action yet?

I notice that the firmware you plan on updating from is no less than 9 updates behind the latest firmware. Netgear must have implemented a lot of fixes over a period of 3 years!

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 2 of 6
khyuga
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R7000 power led orange is blinking after firmware update but internet is still operati

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes that's what i thought, many updates since the one i had so i thought maybe it was normal for the update to take time but now it's more than 24 hours. Since yesterday i can't stop reading all the procedures in case it is bricked so i ll be prepared.

I wanted to reboot but i m affraid of loosing the wifi connexion, it works just fine, i don't want to take the risk and loose the wifi right now.

What is sure is i can't access routerlogin.net and the power led is still blinking in orange.

I ve downloaded the firmware and tftp2.exe and bookmarked the tutorials just in case.

Maybe a reset or reboot will be just fine, i will see if the wifi disconnects, then i ll do that.

Power led blinks but wifi network still works is normal ? I mean, after an update if the firmware is corrupt or the router bricked, i wouldn't be able to connect to the wifi as usual right ?

Thanks

Message 3 of 6
antinode
Guru

> I ve downloaded the firmware and tftp2.exe and bookmarked the
> tutorials just in case.

You shouldn't need any third-party TFTP client program; the "tftp"
program which comes with your (unspecified) computer OS should be fine
(and probably gives better error messages).

One more for your reading list:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1622096#M102004

> [...] after an update if the firmware is corrupt or the router
> bricked, i wouldn't be able to connect to the wifi as usual right ?

"bricked" is not a well-defined technical term, but, by most
definitions, a brick does nothing useful (electronically).  But that LED
behavior is still abnormal, as is "can't access routerlogin.net".

Of course, "can't" is not a useful problem description.  It does not
say what you did. It does not say what happened when you did it.  As
usual, showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results
(error messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

I'd try a settings reset (and manual reconfiguration), and then, if
that doesn't clear the problems, I'd start exploring TFTP.

> [...] Netgear must have implemented a lot of fixes over a period of 3
> years!

Not to mention the new bugs and other "enhancements" (like the
removed features).  I'd consult the release notes, and search the Web or
these forums for problem reports, before selecting a firmware version to
load.  Or, at least, be prepared to load something other than the latest
one.

Message 4 of 6
khyuga
Aspirant

Thanks for the link, i ve already read it. I v download both the new firmware and the one it was before trying to update. If i have to, i will flash with the old firmware.

Just wanted to know if it happend to someone else, everything works except the page routerlogin and the abnormal blinking.

It says "Blinking amber. Your router’s firmware is upgrading or the Reset button was pressed." I guess it's not upgrading for 24h hours, by safety and until i stay connected, i will not touch anything. I rarely used the page routerlogin.net so it's not a too big problem as long as the connexion works. It's just psychological, the led never blinked before, so i was worried. All i did is launch the firmware update from routerlogin.net nothing more.

Thanks for your contribution.

Message 5 of 6
khyuga
Aspirant

Hello, i m back almost 1 month after my post, i haven't do any operation (not even a reboot) as the connexion still worked even though the power led was still blinking orange until yesterday.

Yesterday internet stopped in my city the entire day, to check if it came back, i rebooted multiple times all the equipement, the power led of the router became solid white.

Today internet is fixed, the router works as usual and routerlogin.net is available again, so all is ok. On routerlogin it says the version is the same as before, so the update didn't work but at least there is no brick, i ll keep this version, have it for many time and had no problem.

Thanks for the help.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E