Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000 reboots when my computer is restarted

RCCrosier
Tutor

Nighthawk R7000 reboots when my computer is restarted

Hi,

Recently (about a month or two ago), my Netgear R7000 started to reboot itself every time my desktop PC is restarted.  I've tried new firmware, gone back to older firmware (which worked fine previously), gone to factory and reloaded firmware, and tried a different network card in my desktop PC.  I'm about to upgrade to the most recent release firmware (again).

It's very odd.  Every time I restart my PC, the router reboots, therefore, everything in my home and office goes offline until it's restarted.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?  I suspect it's my PC causing it, but have NO idea what to check next.  Spent many hours diagnosing this one.  I've googled it 50 different ways, but have found nothing online either.

Thanks!

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
RCCrosier
Tutor

SOLVED!! Re: Nighthawk R7000 reboots when my computer is restarted

OMG, after WEEKS of diagnostics, I finally figured this one out!

I have an AVAYA IP phone in my office, for my work desk phone.  I know it goes offline every time this happens, so I hit the speakerphone button while my PC was restarting, to get a dial tone and just listen to it.  (had to keep pressing button, as it would time out after 30 or 60 seconds).

After I got to a log-in, the phone was still fine.  I logged in and everything was fine until I noticed the X-Lite VOIP softphone that I had installed months ago for testing a FreePBX setup at the stores I work for.  As soon as X-Lite started to load, my IP phone lost dial tone!

I then disabled the X-Lite and restarted... NO REBOOT of Netgear R7000!

I wonder what the X-Lite is doing that it would reboot my R7000?  Either way, SOLVED, and I'm uninstalling X-Lite next.

I don't recommend anyone try that VOIP software at this moment!

View solution in original post

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 8

All Replies
tarund
Apprentice

Re: Nighthawk R7000 reboots when my computer is restarted

Have you tried using a laptop with an Ethernet adapter and plug-in the wire in each port? Just to check if it's actually your desktop's network card, or the ethernet ports on the router. Also, which firmware versions have you tried? The latest revision, .60, is not great; I actually had to downgrade to .34 before my router finally stabilized.

Message 2 of 8
RCCrosier
Tutor

No, I have not, however, my computer is not plugged directly into that router, it's into a switch in my office, which goes to that router.  I have tried to bypass the switch already, no difference.  I do have a laptop in my office on wireless, so I'll try wiring that in and restart, see what happens., I believe I also moved the switch's CAT5 from one port to another on the R7000, but just in case I did not, I'll move it today, see what happens.  Thanks.  BTW, I have also already tried going back to an old Firmware, too, which was working OK months ago, no change.

Message 3 of 8

@RCCrosier,

This is quite interesting.  There is no mechanism or functionality which would initate a router restart when a connected device (wired or wireless) is shut down.

So we can have a complete picture, please provide / describe your configuration and set up.  What is in front of the R7000?  What is providing DHCP?  Is the R7000 running in Router Mode, AP Mode??

Modem (brand / model & operate mode if applicable) > R7000 (operate mode) > connected to switch (brand / model?) > connected to computer 1 (ethernet) and other laptop Computer 2 connected via (wireless)

Thanks,

Message 4 of 8
RCCrosier
Tutor

Trust me, "very interesting" is an understatement!  I've been doing this stuff since the early 1980's for a living, and never encountered this one.

My setup is:

Netgear R7000 is connect directly to cable modem, Arris Surfboard SB6190, purchased Jan 2018.

It's in Router mode.

Netgear R7000 is providing DHCP, however, MY computer is on static IP.  NOTE: that when this happened originally, I would let Win 10 "diagnose" and it would ALWAYS set the PC back to DHCP.  I would then set it to static, and it would work fine again, but I believe at the time, I did not realize that my R7000 was ALSO restarting at the same time.  Right now, my PC is static, and has been fine since I removed and reinstalled my NIC drivers.  R7000 still reboots though when I restart PC.

I have several switches connected to Netgear, for offices/areas in home, and cameras, etc. (I am going to disconnect them all today and try restarting my PC, to see what happens)

R7000 is connected to a TPLink TL-SG1008D, then to my PC.  I have a couple TPlink switches in my home office, for equipment on both sides (phone, MFP, testing/setting up other equipment & laptop).

I have another older Netgear FS116 connected to R7000 in another part of home, with separate SMC A/P for that area, and a couple computers there (packing/shipping), wired into it.  Nothing there causes R7000 to reboot when restarted.

Everything else is on WIFI via R7000 (phones, TVs, Chromecasts, Roku TV, Firesticks.)  Nothing causes reboot.

My PC has VPN software on it "VPNArea", but it is disabled and unused for 11 months, as is the NIC adapter in network settings... I did not like the speed after a month of a one-year subscription.  I do not believe it ever caused any issues when I first set it up.  This problem just popped up about a month ago or so.

I really think this is something on my desktop causing this, but have never seen this, ever.  I figured changing the NIC in my PC would resolve it, but it did not.  The second NIC is still in it, fwiw.

Message 5 of 8
RCCrosier
Tutor

SOLVED!! Re: Nighthawk R7000 reboots when my computer is restarted

OMG, after WEEKS of diagnostics, I finally figured this one out!

I have an AVAYA IP phone in my office, for my work desk phone.  I know it goes offline every time this happens, so I hit the speakerphone button while my PC was restarting, to get a dial tone and just listen to it.  (had to keep pressing button, as it would time out after 30 or 60 seconds).

After I got to a log-in, the phone was still fine.  I logged in and everything was fine until I noticed the X-Lite VOIP softphone that I had installed months ago for testing a FreePBX setup at the stores I work for.  As soon as X-Lite started to load, my IP phone lost dial tone!

I then disabled the X-Lite and restarted... NO REBOOT of Netgear R7000!

I wonder what the X-Lite is doing that it would reboot my R7000?  Either way, SOLVED, and I'm uninstalling X-Lite next.

I don't recommend anyone try that VOIP software at this moment!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 8

Re: SOLVED!! Re: Nighthawk R7000 reboots when my computer is restarted

Funny, I ran a near identical set up for years.  Arris 6190, R7000 (now 8000P) to a FS116.  Had a Cisco VOIP phone connected to my switch.  Got annoying after a while as folks on the outside trying to hit open ports could make my phone ring.  Finally had to start unplugging it except when I was working.  That was many moons ago now. 

So the X-Lite SIP application was sending a "reboot" command to the R7000, probably via telnet.  Thats sort of scary (LoL).  Glad you figured it out.    

Message 7 of 8
RCCrosier
Tutor

Re: SOLVED!! Re: Nighthawk R7000 reboots when my computer is restarted

That's odd.  I've never had problems with my AVAYA IP phone ringing.

I emailed CounterPath software (makers of X-Lite), just to let them know it was happening, and what the resolution was, and they said that nothing they're doing should cause the router to reboot, and that it must be something wrong with the Netgear, and that I should contact Netgear.  In their defense, however, they DID say that they run Netgear R7000's at their offices, and could not reproduce the problem  I told them that everything is fine if I uninstall my X-Lite, and since I don't really need it, I just did that.

They seemed pretty adamant that the problem is on the Netgear, and that "It should take anything it's given and handle it without rebooting.  That's what they're supposed to do."

I suspect it's some crazy oddity about my NIC or desktop, Windows 10 update or something that has to be "just so" to do this.  Changing NICs didn't solve it though.

If I could, I'd get someone from Netgear to look at it, but don't really NEED to.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7