Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000 requires constant rebooting to maintain download speeds

Stuart44
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 requires constant rebooting to maintain download speeds

I have read all the posts re this router and they are not good. 

I have had mine since 2014 but recently it has constantly dropped speeds from 51mbps to 0,12mbps ( Yes, that's right 0.12)

I reboot the router and I then get 51mbps for a short while and then it drops again. I thought it was the new firmware update so I reverted back to early firmwares. Made no difference. I have reset but no difference.

I am using a wired connection. I compalained initially to my ISP but tests done on using the BT modem show that 51mbps is the true speed I should get. Connect back to the nighthawk and speeds are 51mbps  and then they drop alarmingly until I reboot again.

I paid well over £100 for this and it looks like I have got about 2 years use.

I cannot go on like this, so what I want to know is:

1. Is there any solution to cure this, OR 

2. Is the nighthawk going into the bin. If so you can rest assured that the replacement will not be a netgear

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Stuart44
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R7000 requires constant rebooting to maintain download speeds

In response to all the replies above.

I would not have posted if I had not worked through all the many suggestions in all previous posts. I have reset, rebooted, talked to it nicely but nothing has worked.

Before posting this I did a speedtest and it was 0.28 on a 51 mbps line.

I was hoping that those nice people at netgear would have figured out that there may be a problem with this router and offered some solution. Clearly not.

I have dedided on the second option in my original post ie it is going in the bin. I have bought a new router and you will not be surprised that it is not a netgear.

Thank you for all the replies. Yjis post is now ended

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

There's not enough information to determine the cause.  

What's the down and up speed of your Internet connection?

Do you have one device or multiple devices connected to the R7000?  If you have multiple devices, do you know whether one or more of them are congesting the link?  Perhaps a large download (e.g. Windows update) or upload (e.g. iPhone backup to iCloud) is occurring.

Look at Show Statistics on the router.  IIRC, it will provide the data transmission rate for all interfaces.  It's an average, not instantaneous, rate, so you may have to reset the statistics to get something that reflects the current rate.

Turn off the modem for a few minutes, then turn it back up.  This may reset the Internet connection to properly interface with the router.

Message 2 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

2 cents

Connect to modem and use for several hours. Running a speedtest proves one thing at the time of test it worked it doesn't eliminate a possible ISP problem unless you actually use it for awhile.

Message 3 of 5
Stuart44
Aspirant

In response to all the replies above.

I would not have posted if I had not worked through all the many suggestions in all previous posts. I have reset, rebooted, talked to it nicely but nothing has worked.

Before posting this I did a speedtest and it was 0.28 on a 51 mbps line.

I was hoping that those nice people at netgear would have figured out that there may be a problem with this router and offered some solution. Clearly not.

I have dedided on the second option in my original post ie it is going in the bin. I have bought a new router and you will not be surprised that it is not a netgear.

Thank you for all the replies. Yjis post is now ended

Message 4 of 5

@Stuart44 wrote:

You didn't give anyone a chance to help you.

They asked questions because they are not mind readers and had no idea that you had done exhaustive troubleshooting. (Most people turn up here without having tried anything.)

If you want official support from Netgear you should have gone through the official support channels. This place is mostly user-to-user self support by people who give up their spare time trying to use their experience to help other users who have problems.

By the way, if you are on BT, a quick visit to its forums will show you that people sometimes report this sort of issue, and it turns out to be a BT problem.There have been recent reports of BT overselling connections, causing speeds to fall dramatically at some times of the day.

Still, your impatience means that you now have a shiny new modem and doubtless will have no more problems.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7