Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7000 slow download speeds Firmware v 1.0.7.2

saiz66
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 slow download speeds

Hi,

My nighthawk R7000 has been working fine for about 10 months. But recently the download speed has been very slow. I did a speed test and only getting about 5 Mbps when regularly I would get 130 Mbps. I am using a wired connection. When I plug the ethernet directly into my isp's modem I get the correct speed. 

Here are some of the troubleshooting steps I tried so far:

• Factory Resetting router and modem
  • Changing MTU to 1400
  • Switching cables and ports
  • Firmware is already the newest version [V1.0.7.2_1.1.93]

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
saiz66
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R7000 slow download speeds

Thanks for the reply everybody.

@thamesmeister wrote:

Have you recently added a VPN.  I tried StrongVPN and I went from 55mbps to 5mbps evertime I hooked up to the VPN.  Check it out....

Max

I am not sure if its the VPN but your post gave me some idea. I tested the router with my work laptop and was able to consistently get ~160 Mbps. So I knew the issue was with my desktop computer. I did a reset on my pc and was able to get the correct download speed now. I am not sure which software caused the issue. At least now I now the problem isn't with my router. 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

try V1.0.4.30.....still bad?  If you registered it contact support via MyNetgear and select contact support/replace my defective product

Message 2 of 8
thamesmeister
Aspirant

Have you recently added a VPN.  I tried StrongVPN and I went from 55mbps to 5mbps evertime I hooked up to the VPN.  Check it out....

Max

Message 3 of 8
kyan
Aspirant

i am getting the same problem i use to get 300+mbps down and now im getting 8mpbs and i tried all does and more but still no luck

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 8
saiz66
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply everybody.

@thamesmeister wrote:

Max

I am not sure if its the VPN but your post gave me some idea. I tested the router with my work laptop and was able to consistently get ~160 Mbps. So I knew the issue was with my desktop computer. I did a reset on my pc and was able to get the correct download speed now. I am not sure which software caused the issue. At least now I now the problem isn't with my router. 🙂

Message 5 of 8
saiz66
Aspirant

@kyan wrote:

i am getting the same problem i use to get 300+mbps down and now im getting 8mpbs and i tried all does and more but still no luck

Hi kyan,

I would try to isolate if the issue is on the router or your pc. I was able to isolate it to my pc by running a speed test on my work laptop and see that it was able to get the full speed. 

Message 6 of 8
JamesGL
Master

Hi kyan,

If you have tried steps done by saiz66, please try to load the previous firmware and check the connection speed. Reset the router after reloading the previous firmware.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30766?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 7 of 8
douggiese
Apprentice

Re: Nighthawk R7000 slow download speeds Firmware v 1.0.7.2

I have my R7000 configured as an access point.  I've been having speed issues periodically with the latest firmware (1.0.7.2). Network speed is 20Mb (at modem) but speed test showed 2Mb from my R7000.   A reboot would fix for a few days at most.  Tried rolling back to v 1.0.4.30 but then had connection troubles with different devices. Some worked some didn't.  Went to v 1.0.5.70 this morning.  So far so  good. (If Netgear engineers are reading this, It would be nice if the parental controls were available in AP mode.)

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7