Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000 still constantly dropping internet

Axsimulate
Tutor

Nighthawk R7000 still constantly dropping internet

Nighthawk R7000
Firmware Version
V1.0.11.116_10.2.100

My router is still constantly dropping internet multiple times a day. I've updated the firmware to the latest and reset it to factory defaults and it still drops constantly. Does anybody have any other ideas whatsoever?
I'm just on the edge of buying a new router and it WILL NOT BE A NETGEAR! This is the 2nd Netgear router that has done this crap to me. I am beyond frustrated with this thing. And this thing wasn't cheap.

I am a IT professional with decades of experience and people come to me every single day to get my opinion on all things computer. I will definitely will tell them do not buy a Netgear router under any circumstances!
I know someone else that hes this exact same router and it did the exact thing to him so he hacked it and installed a open source firmware on it and it works perfectly now. So we know without a doubt it's with the firmware Netgear supplies. Almost like Netgear is purposely making the router act up forcing us to go buy a new router. He gave me all the info to do the same with mine. The only thing holding me up is the UI is very cryptic.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 6
Portwey84
Virtuoso

Re: Nighthawk R7000 still constantly dropping internet

Ok, appreciate you're clearly not happy, but just to point out a couple of things:

Your footer states you have a R7000P AC2300 router, yet the firmware you've quoted is for the R7000 AC1900. So which router do you have?

If you do have the R7000 AC1900 model, then the firmware you have quoted is not the latest firmware. The firmware is now on v.1.0.11.126:

https://kb.netgear.com/000063843/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-11-126

If you do decide you need to update the firmware, I suggest you don't update over WiFi, do it via ethernet.

For every router owner that complains, there are those of us who just don't have any issues whatsoever.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 2 of 6
Axsimulate
Tutor

I have the R7000 AC1900.

I’ve been dealing with this issue for at least 6 months or more. I had another ticket open for this and I got the same thing, update the firmware. Reset to factory defaults. Build it back up without loading a configuration save. I did. At least twice. The firmware I quoted was from the latest that the time I opened a ticket. I didn’t help. I’ll try this one, but this thing is about ready to be thrown in the trash and I’ll never buy a Netgear again. And as I said, this isn’t the only Netgear router I’ve had that behaved EXACTLY THE SAME WAY. Rebooting the router 2, 3 or 5 times a day is not acceptable. I’m sick of it.

Thanks for the link because the stupid router shows no new updates...again.

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 3 of 6
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@Axsimulate  You don't state which country you're in, but after frequenting this forum for over 12 months now, many complaints seem to come out of the US, but then this is a very US centric forum. I'm in the U.K and I just don't get any of the issues consistently complained about on this forum. Never get dropped WiFi, I don't have any issues with reboots, not that I have to ever reboot the router anyway. For me, it's been rock solid.

So firmware, well Netgear it seems don't seem to be held in high regard if you read through this firmware. It doesn't help when the auto update feature didn't work and so folks thought they were on the latest firmware only to discover they were often 2 or 3 or even more firmware updates behind. That aside, I check the Netgear firmware page for this particular model at least once a month but as it happened, with the last firmware update for the very first time, the Netgear Nighthawk app alerted me that there was a newer firmware.

There are several 'tweaks' that you might find useful carrying out on your own router, but then just because certain settings work for one router, they might not be optimal for another router of the same model. So for instance, I don't have QoS enabled. I have Guest networks set up on 2.4 and 5ghz bands. I've disabled UPnP, disabled auto update, ensured the router is using the correct settings for my ISP etc. I also no longer have to use a separate modem with the AC1900 because I'm now on full fibre optic into the home, so the router just plugs into an ethernet outlet in the wall upstairs and comes out of the wall downstairs straight into an Optical Network Terminal.

Honestly though, if you're having the issues you state you're having, I wouldn't put up with it, I'd have junked it by now and bought something else. I have no doubt that Netgear could probably do much better when it comes to their firmware.

Message 4 of 6
Axsimulate
Tutor

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm in the U.S. and my internet is through Charter Spectrum. I've called them many times and they keep telling me it's on my end. Twice they sent out service techs that completely rewired from the pole all the way to the cable modem. Unfortunately we don't have fiber around here. I suppose that's another thing the U.S. is behind on.
Yesterday I had to reboot the router 5 times because it just decided it wasn't going to route traffic anymore. I checked with Charter Spectrum and they said there were no problems on their end. Each and everything I logged in, the status said it was connected to the internet. It might have, but it wasn't routing traffic. After a re-boot all was good again...for a few hours. Then down it went again. I had a WNDR4500 prior to the Nighthawk and after a while it started doing the exact same thing. That's why I replaced it. And now here I am back to rebooting every single day. I would have replaced it already, but I have a mendacious ex-wife who keeps dragging me back to court so all my money is going to a laywer at the moment. I'm thinkgg of digging up my old WNDR4500 and hacking it with that open source software I heard about. https://dd-wrt.com/

Message 5 of 6
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@Axsimulate  It might be worth doing a full factory reset on the router prior to upgrading to the very latest firmware.

Hope you get it sorted.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7