Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7000 stopped working after 4 months

Bemanmac
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 stopped working after 4 months

My Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi model R5700 stopped working suddenly after only four months. I went through all of the troubleshooting steps in the manual, but I still get the Amber lights that according to the manual indicate that the router is not functioning properly. It was working just fine prior to yesterday. This is quite frustrating as all of our devices including our printer and TV and programs such as Netflix Etc rely on the wireless. And unless I want to use up all of my data on my phone our household is pretty much dead in the water. My old modem lasted over 4 years, this is simply unacceptable. Has anyone else had major problems with this model? And did you have to replace it or was there some sort of fix
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Bemanmac
Aspirant

Ya'll missed the point on the 4 year issue- that was the modem being replaced, but it lasted 4 years. Commenting on it is totally not helpful. What was helpful was taking to my son - an IT director for a school system in MN. He diagnosed and repaired it - working fine...to the first two answers, thanks!

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 12

All Replies

@Bemanmac wrote:
I went through all of the troubleshooting steps in the manual....

Did that include a "factory reset"?

They'll ask you to do that before you can begin the warranty process.

Oh, and is the firmware up to date?

Message 2 of 12
Bemanmac
Aspirant

Yes to both! That's the frustration. I am pretty tech savvy and I am at a loss. Even our Nest system is down and I have to manually set. Bought this router because it was supposed to be "dependable "
Message 3 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

contact support for a exchange.....mine is over 3 years old and working fine.

Message 4 of 12

" My old modem lasted over 4 years, this is simply unacceptable." somewhat I can understand but if you compare to ISP crap it's only every year with less more features and capabilities.

4 y/o stuff in this world is obsolete!

Message 5 of 12

@aalexandrebeta wrote:
4 y/o stuff in this world is obsolete!

If it still works and does what you want, there is no reason to stay on the upgrade treadmill.

@aalexandrebeta wrote:

it's only every year with less more features and capabilities.

This is meaningless.

Message 6 of 12
Bemanmac
Aspirant

Ya'll missed the point on the 4 year issue- that was the modem being replaced, but it lasted 4 years. Commenting on it is totally not helpful. What was helpful was taking to my son - an IT director for a school system in MN. He diagnosed and repaired it - working fine...to the first two answers, thanks!
Message 7 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Please share the fix..Taking to son is No Solution.

Message 8 of 12
Bemanmac
Aspirant

On the Nighthawk Routers, if you do a factory reset more than just once in say, less than an hour, it confuses the router - essentially, it is trying to reset itself and in the middle of the reset, you interrupt the process with another factory reset and "confuse" the OS and once the router stops working - no matter what you try (ie. re-login, changing browser settings - pretty much anything in the troubleshooting discussions, it won't work.  I cannot tell you the intricate details of the exact steps he took ( I just happen to be fortunate to have him, perhaps there is a local "techie" that doesn't charge too much that could get the same results), but when I walked in his office he had the Genie page up and all was well.  He uses only Netgear wireless equipment in his entire school system, he says they are, in hs experience the most consistantly dependable. The biggest take-away is that if you push that factory reset button, give the router a good hour (err on the side of caution) before you attempt any "fixes".  This was "my bad", because when a person gets frustrated, you just start pressing buttons (common, according to son)  So patience with the factory reset. 

Message 9 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

What I have found is after a reset to defaults the PC needs to be rebooted to connect to it before you login into router setup. I will say this was not always the case and changed about 2 years.  

I finally dumped NG FW and wished I had years ago.

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/asuswrt-merlin-on-netgear-r7000.71108/

Message 10 of 12
dpou
Aspirant

Same problem!!!  I am angry that after only 4 months, this unit stopped working out of the blue.  I was watching the Olympics - suddenly nothing.   I missed the closing ceremonies too.  I called Netgear and they wanted $50 to answer my question!!!  I had never called their customer service and was appalled they wanted so much money to find out why their product stopped working after owning it for such a short time.  Customers do not get even 1 service call????????   I will throw this unit in the trash and NEVER EVER BUY NETGEAR MERCHANDISE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Model: R7500|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi Router
Message 11 of 12

@dpou wrote:

I called Netgear and they wanted $50 to answer my question!!!

That's the brainless and scripted response from people who don't know what they are doing. It upsets the Netgear people here as much as it upsets customers.

If you have a warranty issue, don't ring the support online. (I know, that sounds mad, but this is Netgear.) Go visit the warranty bit of the website. Or ask to be put through to the warranty people.

I assume that you are in the USA. Unfortunately, consumer protection is not as good there as it is here in Europe, for example, where 4 months would be seen as a joke. In the EU four years would be more like it. But you should still have at least a year's warranty support.

First, though, ask around here for help. Someone may be able to help you to rescue your R7000. For a start, have you reset the thing to its factory defaults?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7