Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000 - throttling internet connection

cabwav
Tutor

Nighthawk R7000 - throttling internet connection

Internet download speed is substantially lower that what I am getting from my ISP. When I connect my computer directly to the modem with a CAT7 certified cable, I get the full 400mbps that I pay for, but when I connect the same cable to the R7000 (WAN connected to the modem) I get much less (Ookla says ping 13ms, download 181 mbps, upload 41 mbps). Online gaming suffers from low and fluctuating frame rates and lag. 
What could be wrong? Any suggestions on how to solve this are much appreciated.

R7000 firmware version: V1.0.11.123_10.2.100
QOS = off, guest network = not enabled, no parental controls, A-security not enabled

modem: ARRIS TG2492LG (bridge mode)  

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
cabwav
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk R7000 - throttling internet connection

The problem is solved. It turned out that I had to reset the router to factory settings. This didn't work the first time with the router lights going crazy in various repeating configurations, but after a couple of tries including resetting the modem, I finally got Ookla to report the correct download speed.
Thank you for your help

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

If you put the arris back in router mode (disable its wifi) and connect the R7000 in access point mode, does it hit full speeds? 

it wouldn't be the first device I seen not function properly in bridge mode. 

Message 2 of 5
cabwav
Tutor

Thank you for your reply. I cannot revert my modem back to 'normal' mode myself since this has to be done by my ISP. I am going to ask them to cancel the bridge mode, and I will let you know if this makes any difference. 

It still puzzles me though, since I tried connecting to the modem directly to my PC and this seemed to work perfectly with the expected speed of 400mbps. So my conclusion was that the R7000 was the culprit, and not the modem. But maybe there are other considerations that I am not aware of.

Message 3 of 5
cabwav
Tutor

The problem is solved. It turned out that I had to reset the router to factory settings. This didn't work the first time with the router lights going crazy in various repeating configurations, but after a couple of tries including resetting the modem, I finally got Ookla to report the correct download speed.
Thank you for your help

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

Eitherway, glad its working again

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation