Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000 vpn connected but no internet access

McDoogie
Tutor

Nighthawk R7000 vpn connected but no internet access

Alright, so I'm on vacation at the mountains. I tried getting on my vpn via openvpn that I setup a while ago. The vpn connection use to work on my laptop everytime I used it. Yesterday I arrived at the mountain house,turned on my laptop, ran openvpn gui as admin, and connected successfully, however when I highlight my Wi-Fi it says unidentified network, no internet access. Very strange because my vpn has always worked and all of a sudden it's not. So I got on my phone (htc 10), and tried openvpn, and I can connect to my home network and view my local devices. So Android works, but windows isn't getting internet access. So I updated openvpn to the latest version, restarted my computer, logged into my router via remote connection,  downloaded the windows vpn files, extracted them and put them in the config folder, and renamed tap to NETGEAR-VPN. Ran openvpn guo as admin, and again I get connected successfully, but no internet access. Any help on this would be amazing, thank you!

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
McDoogie
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk R7000 vpn connected but no internet access

I fixed it, maybe it was just something at the mountain house. But I got back into, went to my girlfriend's house , and it has the same problem. I uninstalled openvpn, restarted my computer, reinstalled openvpn with the same windows client files, and it worked. I didn't do anything differently. So problem solved, glad it's working again!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
storm1985
Prodigy

access the router UI and check if the TUN and TAP port numbers 

if same port change the port number 

ex

TUN mode - 12973 (for smartphone)
TAP mode – 12974 (for PC)

Message 2 of 3
McDoogie
Tutor

I fixed it, maybe it was just something at the mountain house. But I got back into, went to my girlfriend's house , and it has the same problem. I uninstalled openvpn, restarted my computer, reinstalled openvpn with the same windows client files, and it worked. I didn't do anything differently. So problem solved, glad it's working again!
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7