Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000 wifi caps at 360mbs on 5ghz line?

dopalgangr
Tutor

Nighthawk R7000 wifi caps at 360mbs on 5ghz line?

Have two questions-

1.  Is the internet speed test in the Nighthawk App testing the speed to the router or the speed to your phone?

2.  All of my wifi connections that are on the 5ghz will only speed test up to 350mbps.  The connection itself shows 866.7mbps under status with full bars.  My service is 1.2gbps and if I direct connect to an ethernet port on the R7000 I get approx 980mbps on speed test.  I used to be able to get at least 600-700mbps on speed test to the systems with the 5ghz connections but not now?  Im running firmware V1.0.11.100_10.2.100

Anyone have any idea how to fix the speed to the max again?  I have reset the router to the defaults but still nothing.  Thanks for the advice.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R7000 wifi caps at 360mbs on 5ghz line?

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

1. when you test in the nighthawk app, it hosts the test off the router. so it isn't a wifi based test. And it isn't always accurate because it doesn't always pick the best server

2. thats about the speeds you can expect from that router. it was released in 2013 and those speeds were amazing at the time. I'd recommend reading a few tested reviews of it. https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/search/1234-netgear-r7000-nighthawk

FYI, link speeds aren't the same as throughput speeds. 

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

sorry here's the tested review.
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32239-ac1900-first-look-netgear-r7000-a-as...

Also the latest firmware is 1.0.11.126
Message 3 of 7
dopalgangr
Tutor

Thanks for the quick reply, actually the latest I just downloaded firmware wise is R7000-V1.0.11.128.  I read those articles, interesting stuff but kinda false advertising if you ask me but thats how everything works nowadays.  So my question back to you is would you just keep the R7000 and stick with the 250-300mbps per wifi-connection or should I replace it with a newer one?  My service is Xfinity 1.2gbps but realistically 950mbps and my modem (just purchased) is the Arris S33.  If I should replace the Netgear what model would you personally recommend that would give the best throughput to a 3200sqft residence. (doesnt have to be a Netgear model either).  Three tvs that stream via Firesticks and one gaming system that all connect via wifi.  My old modem was an Arris SBG7400AC2 and the wifi was faster but the modem was capped at 600mbps from the provider.  I respect and appreciate your opinion.  Thanks

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

I guess a lot depends on if the R7000 is doing what its supposed to be doing. Most streaming doesn't need more than 40mbps. So if its achieving your needs, I'd probably hold off for 2nd generation AX products. 

Reason I say that is have have several AX routers and while they're much better than when they came out, they all have had some issues. 

And I can't say on an average day that I notice a difference from them to my RBK53 kit I was using. 

I've got the same 1.2gig service and might hit 1 gig over my AX210 wireless card but thats only if I'm close to my AX router. Do I need those speeds? Nope. I rarely using more than 100mbps even with a couple devices streaming. 

Message 5 of 7
dopalgangr
Tutor

Ok, thats good to know!  My house is three stories (two above ground and a basement below),  ideally to get the best coverage would you recommend the R7000 be on the third floor, second or in the basement?

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

Centrally located. so put it on the middle floor. Most routers are omnidirectional and basically broadcast in a sphere. And speed falls off quickly with 5ghz so if its centrally located, it should cover fine. 

My home doesn' thave an option for centrally locating so I'm using a mesh system for roughly the same square footage. My old RBK53 setup would max out around 250-300mbps but it was in all areas of the home. It served my needs but upgrading to AX was needed just so I'd know what I was doing for helping people out. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7