Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7000 wifi dropping

StaticFX
Tutor

Nighthawk R7000 wifi dropping

Yeah, its getting old.. but really I have had no issues until recently. I upgraded firmware to the latest... and now it just randomly stops the wifi signal. You can see the SID, hit connect and it wont connect... I can still use wired just fine. I have to reboot, then its good for a day or two...

I have NO clue what the last Firware I had was... is there a way to find out? and how to I downgrade?

Thanks!

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

downgrading is pretty easy. 

the version I'd recommend would be version 1.0.9.42

I'd install it over a hardwired connection (not wifi/app). 

to do so, download the firmware, extract it, and then just follow the manual firmware update process. Just use the firmware you downloaded. 

here's where to get the firmware: 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r7000.aspx

manual firmware update process: 

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11

All Replies
plemans
Guru

downgrading is pretty easy. 

the version I'd recommend would be version 1.0.9.42

I'd install it over a hardwired connection (not wifi/app). 

to do so, download the firmware, extract it, and then just follow the manual firmware update process. Just use the firmware you downloaded. 

here's where to get the firmware: 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r7000.aspx

manual firmware update process: 

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 2 of 11
StaticFX
Tutor

any reason that release?

it sounds old enough to be the right one lol... i didnt update often.

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

@StaticFX wrote:

any reason that release?----Because from my time on the forums, its been the most solid, reliable, fastest performing version of the firmware. Its seemed like the newer version had more issues. If you read through the forums, you'll see many issues with newer firmware on the r7000

Message 4 of 11
Andrew_G_
Aspirant

I purchased this Nighthawk R7000 router on 10/23/2020. It will work fine for a random period of time (this last stint, it worked for about 10 1/2 days). What happens is all wired and wireless connections can't reach the internet, so it's not specific to wireless connections. However, if I disconnect a wireless connection and try to reconnect, it fails to connect. On iOS, it says the password is incorrect. The only way to fix it is to reboot the router, this fixes it every time. For wired connections, I still can't connect to the router to change any settings (even using IP address).

At the time, support instructed me to manually update the firmware, (which required me to reboot the router and everything started working again as expected) because I couldn't reach the admin screen. I don't recall the exact version of firmware I had at that time, but it was 1.0.9 something and I upgraded to the latest available (V1.0.11.110_10.2.100). It has made no difference.

I opened my support ticket on 12/4/2020, all 4 of the people I talked to assured me my ticket would stay open until this was resolved - it was closed on 12/11/2020. I did enter a new one today (12/15/2020) referencing my original case number, waiting to hear back.

I've read lots of posts, the potential fixes I've come across are these (which I haven't tried):

a corrupt device being connected: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-Internet-Dropping-Consistantly/td-p/18... Is this likely? I do have a netgear wifi extender that I'm using to connect my garage door opener and a doorbell camera.

Power supply: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Router-Dropping-Internet-Connection/m-p/1635... I imagine this isn't it because I wouldn't think a reboot would fix that.

factory reset (I haven't tried), and going back to firmware version 1.0.9.42.

Question: is 1.0.9.42 still the most stable firmware version? What would be my best bet to fix this router? I'm pretty frustrated with both this issue and the fact that support stops after 90 days and I'm fairly inclined to just take this back to Best Buy. What do you recommend?

Message 5 of 11
StaticFX
Tutor

Ever since I downgraded to the V1.0.9.42_10.2.44 version I have had much better luck. once in a while I get a web page that says "not connected" but after a second, it loads. I have not had a drop since the downgrade.

I would say first disconnect the extender.. see if that changes anything.. Then try the reset/firmware 1.0.9.42 and connect a few things at atime...? 

or go exchange it 😉 try a fresh one

Message 6 of 11
Andrew_G_
Aspirant

Thanks for the feedback! Do you think it's very likely that the extender is the problem? The downside is since I just had to reboot the router, it will probably work for another week and a half to 2 weeks before an issue shows up and I'd prefer not to disconnect my doorbell camera and garage door for that long - but if I need to I can. If it turns out that the extender is the issue, is there a fix for it? Without it my signal isn't strong enough to support those devices. I figured the 2 would play nice together since they are both netgear products so I hope it's not the issue.

Message 7 of 11
StaticFX
Tutor

Can you move the router close enough so that they dont need the extender?

Message 8 of 11
Andrew_G_
Aspirant

@StaticFX I can probably move it about 15 feet closer but I suspect the main problem is my property layout. My garage is attached (pretty much in front of my house) and is solid brick. Even then the signal would still need to go through the house wall and 2 layers of brick (the back garage wall and the front garage wall). If I had to guess total distance, I'd say it would be about 30 away feet at that point.The only way I could get it any closer would be placing it in the garage, but then I probably wouldn't have connectivity inside the house.

I forgot to mention, I've seen other posts that mention disabling smart connect and the 20/40 MHz Coexistence. I previously turned off smart connect which didn't help (still off), and just today disabled the 20/40. I've also seen posts about turning off QoS which has also always been off.

Message 9 of 11
Andrew_G_
Aspirant

@plemans/@StaticFX  - are there any known security vulnerabilities with downgrading to that really old firmware? I feel like it would be more susceptible.

Message 10 of 11
plemans
Guru

there's always that chance using older firmware. 

the thing with netgear is this device was released in 2013 and has gotten numerous updates. 

Out of all consumer networking gear I recieved, this has gotten more updates than all my other devices combined. 

Netgear updates firmware/security a lot more than other. Half of the devices I have from other companies haven't gotten a single firmware upgrade. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7