Nighthawk R7000 wireless issue

JayBS
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 wireless issue

MY R7000 AC1900 was installed 10 months ago.  Last week the 2.4g WiFi connections became unstable, and are now disconnecting more than connecting (the 5g connections maintain connectivity).  There are a lot of wireless devices in the house, however this started when my 2 kids were both out of town, with their laptops, cell phones, games, etc. etc.  So in fact, the router was handling (for 10 months) a much higher degree of traffic than when the problem started.  

Looking at the Attached Devices Tab, and refreshing over time, I see many of the household devices MAC addresses appear (and disapear) in the list with no IP Address and no Device Name. Occasionally a device or two will get an IP Address, but it won't keep for more than a minute, and even less frequently will I see the Device Name appear with an IP Address.  

Wired devices 100% functional.

I have tried the following pretty much in this order with some steps repeated later in the list:

• reboot router
  • upgrade to current firmware (V1.0.7.2_1.1.93) w/power cycle
  • change from auto channel to fixed channel (10)
  • use NetGear's Android app to verify that I'm the only wireless broadcast on my chosen channel
  • change channels (to 9, also the only local broadcast on that channel)
  • factory reset, manual reload of settings, power cycle.
  • disable guest networks & smart connect & change 5G network SSID (leaving only 2.4G on original SSID)
  • re-enable the smart connect (so that at least the 5G devices can work!)

Have I missed something or is it time to call for an RMA?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
netwrks
Master

Re: Nighthawk R7000 wireless issue

Use  channel 1, 6, or 11  - these are non-overlapping channels, which are meant to co-exist in a busy wifi environment (pick the least populated of the three).. Channels 9 and 10 are overlapping channels and cause issues for your home wifi network, but also for your neighbours. Aslo, try with smart connect disabled.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

Message 2 of 9
JayBS
Aspirant

I disabled Smart Connect and switched to Ch. 11 and a few devices connected right away.  Then I grabbed my cell phone and found that I was sharing Ch. 11 with another SSID.  Ch. 6 was empty (Ch. 1 has several SSIDs) so I switched to Ch.6.  A few more devices connected, leaving just 2 lesser used devices showing MAC address w/o IP Address.  It was looking like that was stable (far more than when I wrote the earlier post), and I came to reply.  In the time it took to write this, several of the devices lost connection, and now either don't appear, or have no IP address.  Upon further review, basically no change using Ch. 6 with Smart Connect disabled.   

Message 3 of 9
JayBS
Aspirant

I just tried Ch. 11, same results - devices connect, then over the next 5 - 10 minutes, they disconnect and then can't establish long-term stable connections after that.

Message 4 of 9
JamesGL
Master

Hi JayBS,

Try resetting the router to factory default and reconfigure it manually. Check again the connection if the same problem.

JamesGL

Community Team

Message 5 of 9
JayBS
Aspirant

James,

Thans for the suggestion, already tried that.  Since my last update,

• I found our two Logitech Squeezeboxes had over the years both moved to locations next to CAT5 jacks so I transferred them to wired connections.
  • All 5G capable devices have been reconfigured to use the 5G SSID (everything was previously using smart connect).

The remaining 2.4G devices still do not have stable connections, however they have improved significantly.  Something isn't right because everything was working just fine with more devices & smart connect prior to 8/10.  

Message 6 of 9
JamesGL
Master

Hi JayBS,

If you revert back to the previous firmware, will you get stable connection or the same problem?

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 7 of 9
JamesGL
Master

Hi JayBS,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

JamesGL
Community Team

Message 8 of 9
JayBS
Aspirant

James,

I haven't had time to try reverting the firmware version.  The problem started with the old version, but I'll try anything to try to get back to some sense of normal.  Hopefully this weekend...

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements