Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000 won't recognize network devices connected through switches

stevedude
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000 won't recognize network devices connected through switches

Nighthawk R7000
Windows 10 Pro

latest firmware update on 3/22/2019  V1.0.9.64_10.2.64

Router recognizes about half of my network.  Doesn't recognize switches or devices that would be connected to network through switches.  This was never a problem with previous routers which saw everything.  Anybody else encounter this problem?  If so, what was the fix?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
stevedude
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R7000 won't recognize network devices connected through switches

Solved.  Got a buddy to help me sort it out.  The internet provider company had installed not just a gateway to the fiber optic system but a modem router combo as well.  I told them that the router part needed to be off as I was using my own.  They may or may not have done so but their piece of equipiment was still setting up its own subnet which is where the non-recognition problem lay.   Removing that piece of equipment and hooking my router directly to their "gateway" {their term}, which apparently functions as a modem even though they don't call it that, fixed all my problems.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> Router recognizes about half of my network. [...]

What, exactly, does "recognize" mean to you in this context?  As
usual, showing actual actions with their actual results (error messages,
LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague descriptions or
interpretations.

> [...] Doesn't recognize switches or devices that would be connected to
> network through switches. [...]

"switches"?  "devices"?  Details?  What's connected to what, how?

> [...] This was never a problem with previous routers [...]

Is this a new router, or a new firmware version, or what?  If your
R7000 replaced some other (unspecified) "previous routers", did all your
IP addresses stay the same, or did some (or all) change?

> latest firmware update on 3/22/2019 V1.0.9.64_10.2.64

Complaints about ".60" and ".64" abound in these forums.  Subject to
clarification of all the remaining mysteries, you might want to consider
falling back to, say, ".42".

Message 2 of 6
stevedude
Aspirant

"recognize" means both does not connect to AND does not show up (is not visible) on Windows 10 Pro network diagram or on 10-Strike Network Scanner as being part of the network.  with an older Asus router that died, everything showed up and connected even if it was connected to the network by a switch such as the Trendnet switches i used then and continue to use.  only those devices connected directly to the Nighthawk router are visible now to each other now.  oddly everything, even device and computers connected to the network by the Trendnet switches, has internet connection though even when they are not visible to each other on the network.

Message 3 of 6
stevedude
Aspirant

>"switches"? "devices"? Details? What's connected to what, how?

1.    3 computers & 2 Roku are connected to the network through Trendnet switches.  each of the computers and Roku just mentioned has access to the internet and so must pass a signal through the router even though thay are not directly connected to the router by lan port.   none of them are visible on Windows 10 Pro network diagram or on 10-Strike Network Scanner as being part of the network as stated above.  there is a Tablo device (an OTA TV tuner) on the router that should be acessible by both of those Roku devices.  it was able to connect with the Roku devices with the now dead Asus router.  there is a third Roku device connected directly to one of the lan ports on the router which can connect to the Tablo device.

>Is this a new router, or a new firmware version, or what? If your
R7000 replaced some other (unspecified) "previous routers", did all your
IP addresses stay the same, or did some (or all) change?

New router with the latest firmware.  I imagine that some of the IP addresses on the network itself have been reallocated by the new router.  I have no way to determine that at this time.

Message 4 of 6
stevedude
Aspirant

Well, guess I'll look at other communities and forums for help.  The one response I got was just criticism and not at all helpful.

Message 5 of 6
stevedude
Aspirant

Solved.  Got a buddy to help me sort it out.  The internet provider company had installed not just a gateway to the fiber optic system but a modem router combo as well.  I told them that the router part needed to be off as I was using my own.  They may or may not have done so but their piece of equipiment was still setting up its own subnet which is where the non-recognition problem lay.   Removing that piece of equipment and hooking my router directly to their "gateway" {their term}, which apparently functions as a modem even though they don't call it that, fixed all my problems.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7