Nighthawk R7000

Mlz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000

I’ve got a nighthawk R7000. I’ve done a factory reset, I’ve upgrade the firmware. 

Ive looked on line and still can’t solve my problem.

My problem: the router uses only the 2.4ghz network! For the life of me I can’t figure out how to get at least some of my devices on the 5ghz network.

im not a techy.

im wondering if I should just go head and purchase a new router?

any ideas out there are appreciat3...and please keep your ideas at a remedial level for my sake.

thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 4
Portwey84
Virtuoso

Re: Nighthawk R7000

@Mlz  The standard response you'll get here, is downgrade to v.42.

The latest firmware, v.1.0.11.100, appears to be getting numerous complaints about 5ghz WiFi dropping constantly. Meanwhile, some of us aren't having any issues with that firmware at all and no one seems to know exactly why this is. Therefore the standard response you'll find reading through the threads is, rollback to v.42. The choice really is up to you on that one.

What firmware were you using before you upgraded?

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 2 of 4
Mlz
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have no idea what I was using but it didn’t work for 5 ghz either. How do you downgrade to what you said?

Message 3 of 4
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@Mlz  As far as downgrading firmware is concerned, I personally can't advise you to do that. I mentioned it purely because some forum members might advise you to downgrade and there are plenty of threads to evidence it. It is very much the default standard response to issues concerning newer firmwares, because allegedly, v.42 is the most stable version to date. Personally, I can't vouch for v.42 because I've never used it on my router. I'm one of the 'lucky' ones for whom v.1.0.11.100 works without any problems. I upgraded from v.64.

Flashing new firmware is quite straightforward but if you get it wrong, you could end up bricking your router. But you said in your first post that you've already upgraded, so downgrading is exactly the same procedure, just flash to an older firmware from the Netgear R7000 AC1900 downloads page under previous downloads, if that is what you decide to do.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r7000.aspx#download

Remember, there's a reason why Netgear bring out newer firmware, it's generally to fix bugs and plug security holes, so downgrading even if it actually makes your router work properly, using an older firmware could leave your router vulnerable. The risk at the end of the day may well be negligible but it has to be your choice, so think carefully before you follow anyone's advice on downgrading.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E