Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000P 5G Drops During Downloads

shearier
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000P 5G Drops During Downloads

Whenver I try to download something over my 5GHz network it sometimes shuts off, but the 2.4GHz is unaffected . This isn't always an issue. I've downloaded 50+ GB games before on the 5GHz without an issue, but other times my downloads will get to only a few hundred MB before the connection drops and my 5GHz network is out of commision for 10-15+ min. This issue seems to be happening more and more frequently. From what I've seen on similar topics, it sounds like this may be a firmware issue. I'm on v1.3.2.134. I recently downloaded this trying to fix this issue but it did not help. Prior to that I was just on whatever the router defaulted to. Is there a firmware update that is considered the best for my router or one that I could roll back to that could potentially fix this issue? 

For the record I'm not a big tech guy but I thought this might be helpful:

- My internet plan is up to 100MB/s

- It feels like when the download really starts to pick up speed is when the issue happens, almost like it throttles itself off. Would there be a setting that would help with this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R7000P 5G Drops During Downloads

Have you tried a factory reset? sometimes old firmware can cause issues. 

the firmware I usually recommend is the 1.3.0.20

It was the version prior to netgear armor. It seems like a few routers have had issues with armor. Those, I tend to recommend to people to downgrade to the version prior to armor

Message 2 of 9
shearier
Aspirant

Thanks for the help! Unfortunately, the factory reset and the 1.3.0.20 install did not work. I made it about 500mb into a download before it dropped again. 

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

what modem is it connected to? 

Does it have the same issue hardwired into the modem?

Message 4 of 9
shearier
Aspirant

My modem is a Netgear CM 1000v2. Hardwiring into the modem had no issues. 

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

Is it just when downloading games? 

Have you tried it downloading on a pc for a large file or windows update?

Message 6 of 9
shearier
Aspirant

It's only happened when I try to download games. Large Windows updates and other installs have had no issues that I've seen. Thanks again for continuing to help! 

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

Weird that it only happens with games. the router doesn't care what the data is. usually if its a large download issue, it happens with all large downloads. 

Message 8 of 9
shearier
Aspirant

I tried to test this morning by downloading some movies off of Netflix. Roughly 5GB - had no issues. Then immediately tried to download a 30GB game - also had no issues. Unfortunately, I don't know how much that helps since the issue isn't popping up today. However, I did take my smart TV off the 5G network. I'm wondering if having too many devices on the 5G would crash it when trying to download something? For instance, my partner would be streaming Netflix on the TV and then I tried to download a game.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7