Nighthawk R7000P - 5G wifi signal drops

timdugan19
Tutor

Nighthawk R7000P - 5G wifi signal drops

Hello - I have the Nighthawk R7000P - AC2300 Smart Wifi Router. I have noticed that almost daily, the 5G internet connection drops and only the non-5G is available. I have rebooted the router at least 4 times. Please help!

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R7000P - 5G wifi signal drops

what firmware are you on?

have you tried factory resetting? push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while its powered on. 

If that doesn't work try downgrading the firmware. Potentially the firmware is corrupt and reset only removes the settings. it doesn't overwrite firmware. so try re-installing the firmware, factory resetting, and manually reinstalling. 

If that doesn't work, you can try downgrading the firmware. 

Current Setup: CM2000-> RBK750-> GS716v2-> RAXE500-> Pi-hole->
Message 2 of 9
timdugan19
Tutor

I have not done factory reset, as the router is brand new. 

How do I get the old firmware to downgrade to?

Also what about changing the Channel of the Wifi 5G network? Mine is currently set to Channel 153 but i see other options to potentially change to?

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

try the factory reset first. 

usually when you get a new router, it has to catch up on all the updates released after it was manufactured. So it does a bunch of updates. 

Try resetting it first.

If that doesn't work, you can find the older firmware when you go to your devices support site. click download and then its under +view previous versions.

support is at:  netgear.com/support/    type in the model number. 

Message 4 of 9

same issue with my r7200 - it is factory defects

dont buy any of netgear products anymore

Message 5 of 9
moey08
Aspirant

I'm having the issue with my R7000.  I have the latest firmware, and have re-set many times.  The 5G signal keeps dropping, many times throughout the day, the 2.4G does not.  I had to change every item in my house to the 2.4 to maintain a signal.  This is very annoying during these COVID times, trying to work from home with an inconsistent signal.  I've read that the only way to solve is through downloading an older firmware version.  I should not have to do this to get my router to work.  I have no baby monitors, no cordless house phones, etc. that would interupt the signal.  Please fix - very unreliable. Using firmware 1.0.10.90_10.2.90

Message 6 of 9
moey08
Aspirant

Does anyone from Netgear actually monitor these forums, or is this just going out into space?

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

@moey08 wrote:

I'm having the issue with my R7000.  I have the latest firmware, and have re-set many times.  The 5G signal keeps dropping, many times throughout the day, the 2.4G does not.  I had to change every item in my house to the 2.4 to maintain a signal.  This is very annoying during these COVID times, trying to work from home with an inconsistent signal.  I've read that the only way to solve is through downloading an older firmware version.  I should not have to do this to get my router to work.  I have no baby monitors, no cordless house phones, etc. that would interupt the signal.  Please fix - very unreliable. Using firmware 1.0.10.90_10.2.90

1. the R7000 you listed is different than the R7000P the OP listed. 

2.. Please don't thread jump. start your own thread if you have issues. 

3. netgear doesn't really moderate these. its the public forum where members of the public help out. there's the random moderator. 

Message 8 of 9
timdugan19
Tutor

I changed the channel on mine to 161 on the 5G network and that worked.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E