Re: Nighthawk R7000P AC2300 Not Listing All Connected Devices

andyrblank
Tutor

I get the same emails and every time I check the latest firmware version only to be met with disappointment. If I find a new version I will definitely post here unless someone else beats me to it.
Message 76 of 128
Fredley
Guide

I also received an email from Netgear today [3/20/2019] stating, "We've Enhanced Your Product's Security. Please Update to the Latest Firmware. Your products have the following updates available: R7000P. Latest firmware version: v1.3.1.44." And this is confusing because I've been running that version since August. (The full version name is V1.3.1.44_10.1.23, and that's what I've been on since August.) I have the 'Router Auto Firmware Update' setting configured to 'Enable', and no new firmware has been made available. I just manually conducted a 
Firmware Version Check, and was told "No new firmware version available." At this point, I'm wondering if Netgear accidentally resent an old email?

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 77 of 128
troyj
Tutor

I've been waiting on an update to fix this issue since August...that's seven months and still no fix for this. I feel like a sucker for buying this...oh well live and learn. 

Message 78 of 128
mike406
Apprentice

@troyj wrote:

I've been waiting on an update to fix this issue since August...that's seven months and still no fix for this. I feel like a sucker for buying this...oh well live and learn. 

Same. It's become pretty clear to me to not buy Netgear products anymore.

Message 79 of 128
joejoeinc
Apprentice

I recently bought this router and I am seeing the same issues as everyone in this thread. 

19+ devices connected.. and only 10 show up in the devices tab. 

V1.3.1.44_10.1.23

Message 80 of 128
joejoeinc
Apprentice

I spoke too soon now I have 0 devices connected appearing even though I have about 15 devices connected.

router.JPG

Message 81 of 128
GrumpyOldGamer
Aspirant

I may have fixed this particular issue. I downgraded my firmware and I can now see all of my attached devices. Fingers crossed it doesn't revert back to form and start showing me nothing again.

Message 82 of 128
petersonny
Guide

Hello, I've also downgraded the firmware and can now see my connected devices.  But this is not really a good solution.  We're not benefiting from any positive changes in the latest version of the firmware, whatever they might be.  (I suspect the firmware upgrade was primarilly intended to entice customers to pay for Netgear Armor.)  Netgear owes its customers updated and secure firmware for this expensive router.

Message 83 of 128
Issachar
Apprentice

@mike406 wrote:

@troyj wrote:

Same. It's become pretty clear to me to not buy Netgear products anymore.

Same, will go for Asus.

Message 84 of 128
Geraldc
Guide

On my side and after several months waiting for possible update from Netgear, I definitely fixed the problem: I moved to Synology RT2600AC... Those guys know how to develop software and support is way better. I am really disappointed by Netgear. 

Message 85 of 128
joejoeinc
Apprentice

I ended up doing a factory reset on the router tonight and the devices have now come back (but for how long). The reason I did a factory reset was the WiFi dropped all connections from the router (wired still worked fine). This is week 2 after purchase for me for this router, if I get any more issues I'm taking it back for a refund. 

Message 86 of 128
Issachar
Apprentice

I suggest you just go get your refund and give up this brand.
Message 87 of 128
AndreiMR
Aspirant

I purchased an R7000p to replace an R7000 that malfunctioned after five years.   With this new one, I keep having same troubles that all mentioned: none of the attached devices show in the advanced mode.  As a matter of fact the attached devices disappeared gradualy with any reboot of the router until none shows.   I can trace them with the Genie.  However, I noticed that now the DHCP assignes more than one device to same IP.  Is the router disfunctional or I missed something in the setup?

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 88 of 128
joejoeinc
Apprentice

Unfortunatly my conclusion so far is this router might have good hardware but is let down by very crappy software.. 

my device count it now limited to 10.  I also see constant wifi droputs. 

Message 89 of 128
andyrblank
Tutor

So far the only "solution" is to go back to firmware version 1.3.1.26 found here: https://kb.netgear.com/000055569/R7000P-Firmware-Version-1-3-1-26

This firmware is working for me (and others) without issue but there are known security vulnerabilities that were fixed in the latest firmware as detailed here: https://kb.netgear.com/000059546/R7000P-Firmware-Version-1-3-1-44

So you'll be reverting at your own risk but in my opinion at the moment it's better than having a buggy router with better security.

It's sad because the hardware seems to be of good quality. The firmware is just lacking at the moment. Still hoping a fix is around the corner...

Message 90 of 128
mike406
Apprentice

It’s because Netgear seems to allocate their budget toward marketing their gaming line than paying for more developers/more experienced developers. Their latest gaming routers were outsourced to Netduma for the UI. So it just goes to show that they’re more for marketing and constantly releasing new half baked products than actually supporting existing products long term. It also explains why Netgear warranty for routers is 90 days and not a year. They would just love everyone to keep buying the newest model every year. It’s a shame really.
Message 91 of 128
petersonny
Guide

It is very hard to understand why Netgear doesn't offer any solution to this serious issue with their product.  Textbook bad customer relations.

Message 92 of 128
andyrblank
Tutor

Just to be clear phone and email support is 90 days. Hardware warranty is a full year.
Message 93 of 128
mike406
Apprentice

Yes I should’ve specified that. However, once the 90 days runs out your options are either post here which none of the technical staff respond to, or try and convince Netgear your unit is defective and hope they don’t just tell you “Sorry your 90 days went out we can’t talk to you anymore. Our script tells us to tell you that you should update to the latest firmware.”
Message 94 of 128
AndreiMR
Aspirant

I just submitted a ticket and Netggear suggested again to reset the router, after spanding lot of time to set it with appropriate security.  I already did that before without success.   This is incomprehensible after so many indicate that this is not a solution.    I like the hardware, but I may not have an alternative to apply any remedies.   Is there a BBB that can help? Or should I return the router?

Message 95 of 128
andyrblank
Tutor

@mike406 wrote:
Yes I should’ve specified that. However, once the 90 days runs out your options are either post here which none of the technical staff respond to, or try and convince Netgear your unit is defective and hope they don’t just tell you “Sorry your 90 days went out we can’t talk to you anymore. Our script tells us to tell you that you should update to the latest firmware.”

I agree that they should have a contact (email or phone) for RMA/Warranty purposes.

I looked it up and there's only the mailing address for the US

For standard NETGEAR warranty support in Australia please call: 1 300 361 254. If you have a return authorization number given to you by NETGEAR technical support, please send your product to the following address:

BRIGHTSTAR LOGISTICS PTY LTD.

Att: Netgear Returns

Door 7, 11-13 ASH ROAD,

PRESTONS,

NSW 2170

For standard NETGEAR warranty support in the United States, please contact:

NETGEAR, Inc.

350 E. Plumeria Dr.

San Jose, CA. 95134

https://www.netgear.com/about/warranty/

Message 96 of 128
andyrblank
Tutor

I have switched to DDWRT. So far so good but the Wifi speeds are slightly slower. Probably a setting I have to tweak and there are a lot of settings in DDWRT. It's not for the faint of heart but it works.

I followed these instructions:

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_R7000P

and used these files:

dd-wrt.K3_R7000P.chk

dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_ARM_R7000P.bin

From this url:

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/TEST/

Message 97 of 128
andyrblank
Tutor

Solved my speed issues. I'm getting 450-500Mbps transfers on my local network again from wired to wireless which is what I was getting before going to DDWRT.

FileTransferSpeed.png

Message 98 of 128
AndreiMR
Aspirant

I just updated to a new Firmware V1.3.1.64_10.1.36 which was published today and the "attached devices" problem was solved.   

Message 99 of 128
maxplanar2
Guide

Well this is good news.   I've updated, and seem to be back up and running OK, but now I can't log in to the router via routerlogin.net or 192.168.1.1, so I have no idea if it's working or not, other than that I can access the internet seemingly fine.   SIgh.

EDIT: typo

Message 100 of 128
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E