Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000P Connecting to only some devices

ksNGacct
Guide

Nighthawk R7000P Connecting to only some devices

I've had issues the past month with dropping internet on devices in our home network. This has normally been remedied by rebooting the Nighthawk R7000P router. The past couple days some devices such as iPhones, iPads, and a PC based laptop will connect, but not other desktop computers, fire stick, and other misc devices. The routerlogin shows internet connectivity. The failing devices see the router for no internet connection. The ISP is Comcast and the router is Netgear CM1000. I've adjusted channels and restarted both modem and router several times. Could use a lifeline!

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready, R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R7000P Connecting to only some devices

what firmware version are you on? 

Have you tried a simple factory reset

Message 2 of 10
ksNGacct
Guide

Firmware says it is up to date and lists v1.3.2.134_10.1.66

oddly, I have tried to to the factory reset a few times by depressing the button, holding for 15 seconds and the LED lights patterns don't change and the settings are not returned to defaults.

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

you can reset through the browser. login and go to advanced--->administration---->backup settings---->erase

Message 4 of 10
ksNGacct
Guide

Thanks for the link to reset the router to factory defaults. I went through the process and the result is pretty much the same. I have some devices (iphone, ipad) that are connecting fine with wireless. I have a desktop that will connect with an ethernet from the router to the desktop, but the wireless won't connect. Also have separate laptop that was getting wireless before the reset but is not now.

Message 5 of 10
ksNGacct
Guide

Correction: as of now all devices appear to be connected. May have needed some time to cycle the changes? Thanks

Message 6 of 10
ksNGacct
Guide

Sadly, the reset to factory defaults last about two days before the wifi went down again. Since, then it has been once a day that I have had to reboot the router. When the wifi stops working, all LED lights on the front of the router look normal. I'm not touching the modem to get it restarted so it appears I can rule any issue with the modem (NG CM1000) or ISP. I've double checked the firmware is up to date.

Not sure if there are any other suggestions. The 2.4 is band is called NameX and the 5 band is called NameX-5G. I think those are the right format. I've only had this router about a year and a half and it wasn't inexpensive. I now see it was introduced several years earlier. Could it be time for another router?

Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

some of the r7000p's stuggled with netgear armor. 

Try version 1.3.0.20 of the firmware. After the install do a factory reset and then disable automatic updates. 

Try that version and see how it works

Message 8 of 10
ksNGacct
Guide

Excellent. Just completed the rollback of the firmware. We'll see if it holds. 

Truly appreciate your responses!

Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

Good luck!

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation