Highlighted
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000P constant wifi drops

I'm not sure when this started, or if it's happened since I've purchased the router which was about 3 months ago.  The wifi constantly drops / disconnects on all wifi devices for about a minute.  I'm trying to figure out why.  I have many google home devices and I read that there was an issue with these a while back but it seems to have been resolved on google's end and all my devices seem to be up to date.  

There doesn't seem to be a pattern of when devices disconnect, it seems kind of random. Wired ethernet devices stay online so I know it's not internet going out.  

I looked at the logs in the admin panel but they don't show anything related to disconnects or wifi drops.  Is there any way to troubleshoot these or does anyone have any ideas on why this may be happening?  I'm on the latest firmware for the device: Firmware Version 
V1.3.1.44_10.1.23

My wife and I both work from home so this is a huge inconvenience and I'll probably be buying a new router brand soon.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 7
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Nighthawk R7000P constant wifi drops

Do you know if wired connections drop at the same time or just the wifi? Have you tried to adjust the wireless channels on the router? Have you tried to disable smart connect?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

No, as stated above my wired devices stayed online.  I've never had smart connect enabled but didn't try changing the wireless channel. I actually solved my problem by getting an Asus router.  I haven't had a drop since so it would appear that the problem was with the netgear device as nothing else in my network has changed.  

Message 3 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

so i am having this exact same problem and cant figure out why its happening. constant disconnects and failings to authenticate on all wifi devices. im going to try a factory reset tonight and see if that helps.

Message 4 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

So factory reset the router yesterday with the latest firmware version. everything came back to normal, no wifi drops no device list drops. i restarted the router tonight after some latency issues, and viola back to square one. no wifi disconnects yet but the device list has dissapeared.

Message 5 of 7
Highlighted
Master

@ripstopper2020 wrote:

No, as stated above my wired devices stayed online.  I've never had smart connect enabled but didn't try changing the wireless channel. I actually solved my problem by getting an Asus router.  I haven't had a drop since so it would appear that the problem was with the netgear device as nothing else in my network has changed.  

Good way to fix as Netgear does not seem to be able to provide desent firmware any more. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
Aspirant

I am having the exact same issue.  Except in the logs, every time it happens there is the following entry:

[Self2WAN ICMP type b Detected!] To prevent from revealing router's activity, this packet is drop Saturday, Dec 01,2018 19:03:58

I get this error every time and the WiFi goes down, but ethernet continues to work just fine.

I'm on the latest firmware and I've tried several configurations as well as a factory reset.  The problem comes and goes - the router works fine for a couple of weeks but then the WiFi disconnects every 15-30 minutes for an entire day.

I haven't been able to find any solution so I will probably just have to fork out for a different router.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements