Rselling
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000p intermittent connection drops

Router is dropping connection for small amounts of time, 30 seconds to a minute. If I bypass the router completely and just run modem to my Xbox then there are no connection problems. This is on a wired connection not WiFi.

Are there any fixes for this. I have updated firmware and rebooted router. There doesn’t seem to anything I can do within my router admin that fixes the issue.
Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 19

Re: Nighthawk R7000p intermittent connection drops

@Rselling wrote:
If I bypass the router completely and just run modem to my Xbox then there are no connection problems.

What is this modem?

What firmware version do you have on the R7000P?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 19
Rselling
Aspirant

Modem is from the cable company, no brand except for Spectrum written on it. Modem is clearly not the problem as it works just fine when the router is taken out of the mix.

R7000P dual bandwidth router. Firmware V1.3.1.64_10.1.36
Message 3 of 19

@Rselling wrote:
Modem is clearly not the problem as it works just fine when the router is taken out of the mix.

That is a fundamental misunderstanding of the interaction between a modem and a router. Why do you think that they make separate modems, routers and modem/routers?

I suggest a bit more research.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 19
Rselling
Aspirant

I called my ISP, the modem that I have from them is only a modem, not a modem/router.
Message 5 of 19
Rselling
Aspirant

I called my ISP, the modem that I have from them is only a modem, not a modem/router.
Message 6 of 19
Rudella
Aspirant

I have the same issue! Modem works (spectrum ). But router does not receive any signal
Message 7 of 19

@Rudella wrote:
I have the same issue!

Possibly, possibly not.

You have joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you do want help with your problem, check previous stuff that may be related then start your own discussion.

If you do decide to ask a question, you should provide more details and your own version of the information that the forum suggests that you provide. For example, as this is a router, it helps to know what modem you are using and the various things that you have tried to fix the problem.

By all means follow what but please do not hijack the discussion started by @Rselling.

The community rules don't like "hijacking".

NETGEAR Community Terms Of Service | Answer | NETGEAR Support

• Behave with civility and mutual respect. Flaming or name calling will not be tolerated. Similarly, any message containing the following will be removed at the discretion of either a Community moderator or administrator:
    • Off-Topic posting
    • Thread hi-jacking

Just another user.

Message 8 of 19

@Rselling wrote:

This would not be the first time that an ISP has handed out bad information.

Do the logs for your R7000P give any clues? The LEDs on the front?

The Xbox is famous for causing clashes, which is why it makes regular appearances here.

These might offer some clues:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – xbox

Just another user.

Message 9 of 19
Rselling
Aspirant

Led lights are typically all white during the connection issues. I’m guessing the router log is in the admin page for the router, never used it before so I didn’t know that was a thing. Where in the menus is that found?

In the meantime I’m going to checkout the Xbox thread you suggested.
Message 10 of 19

@Rselling wrote:

In the meantime I’m going to checkout the Xbox thread you suggested.

Not a thread, a pile of discussions with some of them marked SOLVED.

Xbox devices are known to do things with "NAT" and to have problems with routers. The solution is usually outside the router.

Just another user.

Message 11 of 19
Rselling
Aspirant

So I have confirmed 3 times over the modem is a modem and not a modem/router.

I have heard from multiple sources about making sure to set the channels on the router are not constantly changing.

Is that a thing, and can you recommend a source to get some direction in fixing that.
Message 12 of 19

@Rselling wrote:
So I have confirmed 3 times over the modem is a modem and not a modem/router.

I'm afraid I don't understand how that follows on from reading previous discussions about the Xbox.

@Rselling wrote:

I have heard from multiple sources about making sure to set the channels on the router are not constantly changing.

Without some explanation of what that means and where you read it, knowing how to reply is difficult.

If you are talking about wifi channels, then read the manual for your device.

Quite what that has to do with your circumstances escapes me. Your first message said that you were using a wired connection.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find all the documentation for your hardware.

Just another user.

Message 13 of 19
Rselling
Aspirant

You just answered my question actually. It didnt make since that I would have to change a channel when I had a wired connection.

I did a full factory reset a couple a days ago and the problem seems to have gone away. Hopefully it doesn’t happen again.
Message 14 of 19
Saif1
Tutor

Hi,

I am having this exact same problem of connection drops on both wired and wifi and exact same router and firmware version as yourself. Let me know if you find a solution please pm me.

Thanks,

Message 15 of 19

@Saif1 wrote:

I am having this exact same problem ...

Possibly. Possibly note.

You have joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

If you do want help with your problem, check previous stuff that may be related then start your own discussion.

If you do decide to ask a question, you should provide more details and your own version of the information that the forum suggests that you provide. For example, as this is a router, it helps to know what modem you are using and the various things that you have tried to fix the problem.

Just another user.

Message 16 of 19
Rselling
Aspirant

Ok so I am really at a loss here. This is starting to affect my work as I often work from home.

Hardware R7000P
Firmware V1.3.1.64_10.1.36

I am still having intermittent connection losses.
LEDs on router when it happens are white across the board, no red or flashing red.
LEDs on modem, not modem/router, are solid blue showing no loss of internet from ISP.
Xbox is losing connection, and everything else in my house drops connection as well, not just Xbox. So it’s not an Xbox exclusive. (Not many things are these days!!! Gamer joke sorry)
The only thing that has worked is doing a factory reset and that was temporary.
At what point do I need to appeal to netgear and find out what I need to do. Need a working router or someone to point me in the direction of a working firmware or something, I have trouble-shot the death outta this thing all signs point to the router.
Message 17 of 19

Sorry, but I am still not convinced that your modem is not involved.

That your ISP says it is "modem only" may well mean that they are, like many tech people at ISPs, unaware of what they are talking about.

We can get more clues if you bring up a CMD prompt and type ipconfig.

Grab the output and post it here. Maybe a network expert will be able to decipher the result.

Just another user.

Message 18 of 19
Saif1
Tutor

Hi RSelling,

Don't worry lots of us had random connection drops including myself - I solved this by flashing dd-wrt (another firmware instead of the rubbish netgear firware) https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000p-Nighthawk-constant-connection-drop-wi...- Good luck.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements