Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7100LG downstream slow especially in VOIP

Japande
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7100LG downstream slow especially in VOIP

Hi,

I am running my Nighthawk R7100LG router connected to WAN (fiberoptics connection with 100mb/s and I only get a very slow downstream when connected to the LAN ports of the Nighhawk. When connecting the same cable directly to my modem, I easily get 95mb/s but using the same cable with the Nighthawk I only get around 5. This is really bad, especially as we are relying on VOIP.  When running the speedtest on the Nighhawk, it also shows the full downstream speed but it seems to not provide the speed to me when I am connected via LAN - even when I am the only one connected to the device. This looks like a QOS problem to me, but I can't find any optn to disable QOS completely (only dynamic QOS). 

Best,

Jan

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Japande
Aspirant

OK, solved the issue - it wasn't the router - it was the Dell network driver Smartbyte service - as we only use Dell notebooks of the same generation, this took some time to discover. Thanks again for your help!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Japande

All Qos settings are on page 83

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R7100LG/R7100LG_UM_EN.pdf

Also are you on the latest firmware? And was it always this slow or did you change something in your network and then you started to see the slow speeds?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
Japande
Aspirant

Hi Darren,

Thank you for your reply. We originally used the 4G network connection of the Nighthawk and are now using it as a router for our fiberoptics internet connection. We found the downstream to be this slow as soon as we connected the Nighthawk for the first time. What I did find out in the meantime was this:

I had connected several managed switches to one LAN port on the Nighthawk as a daisy chain. Once I connected some of these switches to other LAN ports of the Nighthawk, the downstream on our main switch went up to ~40 mps (with QOS enables). I still do not really understand why this happened and we are still not getting the full downstream on any LAN port of the router even if I disable all other clients.

Thanks and best wishes,

Jan

Message 3 of 4
Japande
Aspirant

OK, solved the issue - it wasn't the router - it was the Dell network driver Smartbyte service - as we only use Dell notebooks of the same generation, this took some time to discover. Thanks again for your help!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7