Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7450 Router losing Internet connection daily

Chris011887
Guide

Nighthawk R7450 Router losing Internet connection daily

Within the past month ive been having issues with my Nighthawk R7450 Router Disconnecting from the internet daily and I have to reboot. I bought this router last year black friday and have not had any issues for a year. Now all of the sudden this issue will not stop. I had the most up to date firmware since it came out 1.2.0.62 and I thought that might be the issue so I went back to 1.2.0.50 and the same issue keeps happening. My Modem does not seem to lose internet all the lights stay on . Modem is a Arris Surfboard SB6141. The Internet Light on the router goes to Amber and thats when I lose internet. I tried multiple diffrent Ethernet Cables and same issue. I ordered a Cat7 cable and it improved the speed but still cuts out daily. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Its over a year so no support from Netgear.

Model: R7450|Nighthawk AC2600 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Chris011887
Guide

So the tech came out and checked the lines. There was a lot of noise in the lines and they replaced all the lines to the house and I have been problem free since. Lines were the problem. Thanks for your replys guys.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The question comes does to is it a modem issue or a router issue?

Even if all the modem lights stay on, doesn't mean its working properly. 

How frequently is it happening?

If its happening quite frequently,  you can hardwiring into your modem and monitor it. See if the modem does drop or if it is indeed the router. 

You can also log into your modem and get a screen snip of your modem connections page. Many times this shows a snap shot in time of your connection to the modem.

You do have the most recent firmware. Have you tried a factory reset? occassionally after firmware updates, there's issues caused from changes. Usually a factory reset and re-install can resolve these. 

Message 2 of 11
Chris011887
Guide

I have Factory reset both Router and Modem and the same problem keeps happening every couple of days. The Router doesnt detect any Internet connectivity (The second light from the left is amber instead of white). I believe I may have figured out an issue. It seems to happen whenever the Lease expires from the modem. I do not know much about that but the time frame is around the time it expires. When I physically Release it from the Web Page interface for the router That light turns Amber and hit renew it comes back after a few moments. Im thinking this may be the issue but im not an expert. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

Whatt modem is it?

Can you take a screen snip of its modem connections page? It'll show connection strengths, errors, etc. This can help determine if its a signal issue. 

Message 4 of 11
Chris011887
Guide

Its a Arris Surfboard SB6141

Capture.PNG2.PNG3.PNG

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

A couple things you could try.

There is some errors in your line. Signal strength and snr look good but there are erros. Try removing any splitters, amplifiers, attenuators from your line. Also check your cable for damage, poor connections, loose connections, kinks, or moisture. 

You can call your isp and have them check the line. 

do you have your internet settings setup to get a dynamic IP address from your isp?
If its your lease expiring from the ISP, you could call them and see if they'd set you up with a static ip address. Then you could plug that in so you wouldn't have to worry about the lease expiring. 

Message 6 of 11
labatt
Mentor

I agree with @plemans  there are some errors on the line. Have never seen a line run without errors and I have seen lots, but the number you are having I would not expect to cause losing connection or performance when you look at ratio of errors to total traffic. 

Have seen some folks here think that the DHCP process between the modem and the router causes issues. Properly working DHCP should not cause any outage. You are experiencing DHCP lease renewals on your clients all the time, probably every 12 hours, and am guessing you never noticed. Most Netgear routers have a lease time of 24 hours. Lease renewal occurs at 1/2 the lease time and it is just the connected client saying I have this IP address is that OK? DHCP server responds yup. Never a drop in connection on the client and that is how the modem and router should work as well. When I had AT&T UVerse the lease time was 30 minutes so renew was every 15 minutes. Was running a Linksys WRT3200 with OpenWRT on it and never had a drop. 

Message 7 of 11
Chris011887
Guide

Youre right before this I never knew anything about lease time and how all that works just noticed when it expired one night is when I had the problem. I have a tech coming out tommorow to look at the line so I will update after that. I also incresed my speed today I was running at 100 down and 10 up now running 250 down and 20 up. Hopefully this problem gets solved its annoying to have to reset the modem and router daily because it disconnects from the internet. Thanks for the replys.

Message 8 of 11
Chris011887
Guide

So the tech came out and checked the lines. There was a lot of noise in the lines and they replaced all the lines to the house and I have been problem free since. Lines were the problem. Thanks for your replys guys.

Message 9 of 11
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear you got it resolved. it stinks when its something not in your control thats causing issues. And the hard part is many times it takes more than a single visit. 

Message 10 of 11
labatt
Mentor

Glad to hear the ISP tech did his due diligence and got you working. Can be frustrating getting things fixed you have no control over other the calling someone. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7