Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7500 Slow WebUI

dualsweat
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7500 Slow WebUI

Hi All,

I recently purchased "2" Nighthawk x4 R7500 Routers to replace "2" WNDR3700's. I upgraded both of the R7500's with the latest firmware (1.0.0.94), and also performed the hard reset as noted in the release notes to ensure the new drivers install correctly. From this point on I will refer to the new Nighthawks as "Router1" and "Router2".

I installed Router1 as my primary Router which is connected to my cable modem. Router1 has a static IP of 192.168.1.1. I installed Router2 as an access point and configured Router2 with a static IP of 192.168.1.2. All devices can successfully connect via wired and wireless to the internet and other local devices on the network. No issues.

The Problem:

When I access the WebUi of Router1, I get the typical home page (Internet status, attached devices, etc.). However, if I click on any of the links from the homepage I get the standard "please wait" loading screen which never loads anything. Even after waiting for up to 30 minutes.

When I access the same screen on Router2, the pages all load successfully within 15-30 seconds. How can I troubleshoot the WebUI of Router1? What is causing the pages not to load? I cannot make any configuration changes if I cannot access the webui!

Thank You,

M--------

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Nighthawk R7500 Slow WebUI

Can I ask what the DHCP range of router 1 is set to? This would normally start at 192.168.1.2?

Personally, I set all my static IPs at the end of the DHCP range, e.g. I set DHCP to end at address 99, and then set static IPs at easy to remember numbers – say increments of 10.

It might be worthwhile setting the static IP of Router 2 to a much higher number, using the method that TheEther has suggested (which may also need a factory reset or a static IP at the PC since Router 2 is not configured as a DHCP server).

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 11

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Maybe it’s a web browser caching issue have you tried accessing just Router1 from a different PC or using a different web browser?

Message 2 of 11
dualsweat
Aspirant

Thank you for the response. I have tried two differnet browsers on two different PCs. The problem remains the same. The home screen on Router1 loads the home screen within 10 seconds. If I click on any link on the Webui it just says "Please wait a momnet..." and spins indefinitely.

Router2 has no issue.

What can I do? I cannot make any configuration changes to Router1.

Thank You,

Matt M.---------

Message 3 of 11
TheEther
Guru

Try disconnecting Router1 from everything and connect a single computer to the one of the router's LAN ports. Then log in and configure it as desired. Reconnect everything after you are done.
Message 4 of 11
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can I ask what the DHCP range of router 1 is set to? This would normally start at 192.168.1.2?

Personally, I set all my static IPs at the end of the DHCP range, e.g. I set DHCP to end at address 99, and then set static IPs at easy to remember numbers – say increments of 10.

It might be worthwhile setting the static IP of Router 2 to a much higher number, using the method that TheEther has suggested (which may also need a factory reset or a static IP at the PC since Router 2 is not configured as a DHCP server).

Message 5 of 11
dualsweat
Aspirant

Hi All,

Thank you for the tips. I will try unplugging everything from the router to see if I can access the WebUI from the LAN port. However, I would consider this a work-around and not a resolution.

DHCP is only enabled on Router1 (as Router2 is just an Access Point). My IP Range on Router1 for the DHCP Pool is '192.168.1.21 - 192.168.1.99'.

Note: I have static IPs set for Printer, Server, and NAS below that range.

192.168.1.3 = Media Server

192.168.1.4 = Network Printer

192.168.1.5 = NAS

192.168.1.6 = NAS (Redundant Link).

Thank You,

Matt M.------

Message 6 of 11
TheEther
Guru

Matt, I agree that this is, at best, a workaround. I don't really expect it to work by itself. A factory reset is probably needed to unwedge the router UI, in which case you'll need to disconnect the router from everything except one PC to keep anything else from interfering with first time setup. Once you have everything up and running, subsequent logins should work with the router in situ.
Message 7 of 11
dualsweat
Aspirant

Hi The Ether,

I think I may actually prefer to do the factory reset. Given that I am already running the latest firmware (1.0.0.94), and no upgrade is necessary, it may be the best option. Is there a way to backup the current config and reload it after reset? I am guessing 'no' since I have no access to the UI. But, I thought I would ask anyhow.

Thank You,

Matt M.------

Message 8 of 11
TheEther
Guru

Yes, there's a way to save config, but I would not recommend it. It's believed that config files can sometimes contain undesirable bits that can lead to flaky behaviour. Just write down the settings, or save screenshots, and reenter the settings by hand after performing a factory reset.
Message 9 of 11
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I don’t think Matt has access to the UI (Post 8), so can't get to the UI page where the save settings option lives.

Matt, if you set a static IP address at the PC on the same subnet as your LAN e.g. 192.168.1.111 Subnet mask 255.255.255.0, all other IPs don’t care – leave blank. Then connect by Ethernet to Router1 with nothing else connected i.e. off your LAN, can you access the router at http://192.168.1.1 ?

If that still fails try changing the PC IP to 10.0.0.111, I’m thinking that possibly the router has automatically changed its LAN subnet to avoid a conflict, depending on how you initially set it up.

Message 10 of 11
dualsweat
Aspirant

Hi All,

Thank you for all the tips. Before I did the reset I tried using the power button on the back of the router and powercycled router1. This had no impact and the WebUI still didnt work completely. I let the router sit for a couple hours (because I was working and couldnt do the reset right at that moment). A couple hours later I decided to completely unplug the router from the wall and try again. And, success! I dont know what the difference is between using the power button and completely unplugging the router, but it seems something got "unstuck" by doing it that way.

Problem solved - case closed!

Thanks Again,

Matt M.--------

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7