Nighthawk R7500 Slow over wireless

MtnXfreeride
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7500 Slow over wireless

Ive just switched out my dead R7000 for a R7500 and am having a lot of issues.

Initially the back end of the router was SLOW and taking 20-40 seconds to load each page of settings. Upgrading to latest firmware didnt fix that issue, however it randomly went away and the back end works only a little sluggish now. At that same time my wired computers were working on the internet but any wireless device couldnt load a website and would redirect to the 192.168.1.1 router homepage. Weird?

So now that the internet is working, Ive been doing some speed tests and my wired desktop can max out my 30/5 internet connection but my phones/tablets/wireless desktops/laptops are not able to and seem to only get 13-17down and 5up. My laptop in particular I see has excellent 2.4ghz signal and is connected at 150megabits. Im noticing even in-network transfers are slow as well.. I used the "Wifi Speed Test" android app and it managed 12megabits down and 13 megabits up to my wired home server. Using Lan Speed Test on the laptop I can only get 12 down and 13 up to my home server.

I think I just have a dud, Ive setup at least 10 routers in my life and never had issues like this. But, I was wondering if anyone else had input or a similar issue?

Message 1 of 10
Puffnstuff
Guide

Re: Nighthawk R7500 Slow over wireless

Do not run the 1.0.0.82 firmware as it will cause problems. I rolled back to 1.0.0.76 and it works without issue and fixed that choppy stream when loading web pages and watching videos as well as with the wireless side dropping clients.
Message 2 of 10
MtnXfreeride
Aspirant

I had the issues on the router with the stock firmware 1.0.0.46 as well though. I exchanged the router at best buy today and the replacement is having the exact same issues and I havent updated the firmware yet.

I can only transfer a few megabits a second from my laptop, and only 1 megabit via galaxy s4.

Message 3 of 10
MtnXfreeride
Aspirant

Puffnstuff, I will try the exact firmware you recommend. It would be strange though for the stock firmware on this to be defective along with the latest firmware, but this one in the middle works.
Message 4 of 10
MtnXfreeride
Aspirant

1.0.0.76 has the same issues for me.. slow over wireless 2.4ghz mostly, but also 5ghz band. The back end router settings pages load snappier though. Lan speed test:12 down 5 upload Speedtest results on my 30/5 connection. Speedtest.net on laptop: 55ms ping 15 down 4 up Speedtest.net on cellphone: 190ms ping 5 down 3up Speedtest.net from wired home server: Ping:51ms 29down 5up
Message 5 of 10
MtnXfreeride
Aspirant

I reset it again and now it wont connect to the internet at all and the routers homepage wont fully load Where it shows connection status or devices attached. Think im just going to get the asus.
Message 6 of 10
Puffnstuff
Guide

Yes if you can still return it do so and get the asus router.
Message 7 of 10
trueshot
Aspirant

I've been running 82 for months with no issues. Extremely high stability compared to the previous routers I've owned (usually provided from ISP). I have noticed that my bandwidth is throttled with QoS on- and maybe you've noticed it too- have you been running your speed tests with QoS? It is sorta the point of QoS to prevent a single device from sucking up all the bandwidth.

I do want to point out that older devices have a lot of issues with 5ghz, most likely due to wireless drivers. Phones and laptops in the house that are older than 2 years old just don't seem to work with 5ghz, and I noticed this with a good D-Link router which I returned thinking it was the router. You can literally google any recent router + iphone / galaxy / ipad and see issues. And nearly every time it will be an older generation device. I keep all such devices on 2.4.

With that said, wireless speed tests are never guaranteed to max out. Depends especially on what client device you are testing with. You might want to try no beamforming, no QoS and doing the test right next to your router if you want more accurate results. The real test of wireless, nowadays, is when you have a ton of competing devices at varying locations and varying signal strengths running applications with high bandwidth and/or low latency & jitter requirements. And I've had this router in multiple such tests, each time passing an occasional hiccup.
Message 8 of 10
Puffnstuff
Guide

MtnXfreeride wrote:
Puffnstuff,

I will try the exact firmware you recommend. It would be strange though for the stock firmware on this to be defective along with the latest firmware, but this one in the middle works.

Have you set the signal strength to maximum?
Message 9 of 10
Fairytail
Virtuoso

If you update firmware, please do a reset to factory default after the update.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E