Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7500 Wired connection slow

Dcolewizard
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7500 Wired connection slow

I recently upgraded my internet from Charter Spectrum 60Mbps to 100Mbps. I noticed that my internet has bee spotty and dropping connection frequently and had them reprovision my modem. Hook up my cable to it and get 96mbps down. All good. However as soon as I plug my computer into the Lan port on my router it drops to 26-29. I can connect my phone to the wifi and get 35+. I have reset, rolled back firmware and even disabled wifi broadcast and can not bring up my lan port speeds. I know it's not the cable as I get around 90+ straight through the modem and when I check the QOS speeds it is registering my bandwidth at 112. What can I do?
Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
duckware
Prodigy

Re: Nighthawk R7500 Wired connection slow

My best guess now, after some more testing, is that the 128k buffer in the switch in the router is where the issue is at.  Going from >100Mbps to 100Mbps, the buffer in the switch is a choke point.

So the fix: (1) get your computer to operate at 1Gbps ethernet, or (2) if you need to operate your computer at 100Mbps ethernet, try putting a switch with a much larger internal buffer (like the GS116) between you and the router and hopefully that eliminates the problem.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 16

All Replies

@Dcolewizard wrote:
....when I check the QOS speeds it is registering my bandwidth at 112. What can I do?

Have you tried turning off QoS?

Also the traffic meter if it is turned on.

Message 2 of 16
Dcolewizard
Aspirant

Yes QOS is indeed off. I even turned it on, then back off. Traffic monitoring on and off. I have factory reset the router. Rolled back firmware, re updated the firmware. Tried different cables, tried different ports. I am still at a loss.
Message 3 of 16

One thought, unlikely I know, but are there any 100 Mbps LAN ports on any of these devices?

Message 4 of 16
Dcolewizard
Aspirant

Well for some reason my 1Gbps nic in my computer is registering its full speed in the network control, However on the Netgear interface it is showing as 100Mbps.

Message 5 of 16

wrote:

Well for some reason my 1Gbps nic in my computer is registering its full speed in the network control

Where's that? Something in Windows?

wrote:

However on the Netgear interface it is showing as 100Mbps.

Again, where's that? I see no speed indicators in the desktop genie or the browser interface.

Sorry for the useless questions, but there are so many different places where these things show their information that it can be hard to keep track.

Then again, I'm not confident that this is the issue here. It was just a wild guess.

I have, though, come across modems that have only 100 Mbps LAN support. Plug a Gbps router into that and bang goes a lot of speed.

Message 6 of 16
Dcolewizard
Aspirant

Alright I actually borrowed another router from a friend and plugged it in. It is an R7000 so pretty much a model down and here is the results from a speed test.

Message 7 of 16
Dcolewizard
Aspirant

I just factory rest my r7500, flashed the firmware to inital release and still am getting around 25-30 no matter what port I plug the cable into. So I have no idea other than the router being defective.

Message 8 of 16
duckware
Prodigy

The problem might be: there is some ethernet connection operating at 100Mbps but your Internet speed is faster than that (112Mbps) -- and then things can back up and packets get dropped on the floor, causing retries, and what looks to be horrible connection speed.

Just make sure everything in your ethernet network is 1Gbps capable.

Message 9 of 16
Dcolewizard
Aspirant

Thanks Duckware for your input however I hooked up the R7000 and used the same setup as the R7500 and find that it is providing faster WLAN Speed tests and giving me near my full LAN speeds.

Message 10 of 16
duckware
Prodigy

The two router models are likely buffering differently (different queue depths).  With a LAN speed of 100Mbps, you will see dropped packet and retry issues on a 112Mbps Internet connection.  Use WireShark to see this.

The big clue is you are saying your comptuer says 1Gbps, but the router says 100Mbps.  Both must show as 1Gbps.

Message 11 of 16
duckware
Prodigy

When your 'problem computer' is plugged directly in the router, do you see a white light or amber light for that LAN port?

Message 12 of 16
duckware
Prodigy

I have the same Charter speed (111Mbps).  When I force my ethernet port to 100Mbps, connecting to the R7800, I see lost packets with Wireshark and slow speeds.  When ethernet port is 1Gbps, I see full internet speeds.

With Charter 100Mbps speeds (provisioned to around 10% more), you actually need 1Gbps ethernet for your LAN.

Message 13 of 16
Dcolewizard
Aspirant

Thank you duckware. Yes the light is showing up amber on both models. Bless you for reminding me of my long forgotten knowledge of Wireshark haha so I reinstalled it and dont see really any dropped packets or re-acknowledgement TCP packets coming in.

Message 14 of 16
duckware
Prodigy

My best guess now, after some more testing, is that the 128k buffer in the switch in the router is where the issue is at.  Going from >100Mbps to 100Mbps, the buffer in the switch is a choke point.

So the fix: (1) get your computer to operate at 1Gbps ethernet, or (2) if you need to operate your computer at 100Mbps ethernet, try putting a switch with a much larger internal buffer (like the GS116) between you and the router and hopefully that eliminates the problem.

Message 15 of 16
Dcolewizard
Aspirant

That was the case. I ended up connecting to a 1gb port and low and behold my entier network is back up and running like it should. Now this gives me more faith to upgrade my router from netgear! Thanks a whole lot!

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7