Re: Nighthawk R7800 Access Control - how to block wireless network connection

lcotton
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7800 Access Control - how to block wireless network connection

Hi

I recently posted asking about how to block connection access to a device on the Nighthawk R7800, but have not had any feedback. For some reason I am unable to add to that post, so I've repeated it below.

Does anyone have any information on this ?

Does the Nightgear R7800 access control support blocking connection by MAC address (or by any other means) ?

----------------------------

I have recently purchased a netgear router - Nighthawk R7800 - and was playing with device access control (Under Security -> Access Control) when I realised it was not doing what I wanted.

It seems when I 'block' a device it can. in fact. still connect to the local network. The only thing that is blocked is internet access.

I thought this was not working correctly, but then came accross this link in the netgear communities:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Access-Control-doesn-t-Control-Access/td-p/1...

which ended with the comment:

I eventually contacted Netgear's security support email, and got the reply that this is as expected. Apparently this is a feature, and not going to be fixed.
Netgear should be ashamed.

Is that really still the case ?

Does anyone know how I can block connection access to a device on the Nighthawk R7800 ?

(My old Belkin allows me to do this per mac address.)

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Yes, this just blocks internet access. You would need to change your wireless password if you didn't want the device on the network at all.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
lcotton
Aspirant

OK. Thank you for the information.

Was hoping to block certain devices from within the home.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E