Nighthawk R7800 Broadcasting a phantom WiFi

JMackXIII
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7800 Broadcasting a phantom WiFi

So my router is pumping out three networks. My 2.4 and 5 g as I have configured but also one marked Netgear97 and no my guest networks are off. I’ve changed my current WiFi to to update the device. It’s has current firmware and according to the MAC address on the side the coming from my Netgear router. I tried looking at an exported cfg file but it’s garbled some it appears to be encrypted. Anyone see anything like this at all or thoughts on where to look ?
Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
ROK5TAR
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R7800 Broadcasting a phantom WiFi

I know smart connect creats 2 5ghz networks. Make sure thats off. If it is id just do a factory reset
Message 2 of 10
JMackXIII
Aspirant

Smart connect is off and so is 20/40 coexistence .. the issues also I'd persistent after a factory reset (had go do one today for an unrelated issue and the phantom ssid persisted)
Message 3 of 10
IrvSp
Master

That router, unlike the R8000 is not a TRI-BAND router... it only has 2.

A picture might help here. Using something like ACRYLIC might help 'us' see it, the if on Windows the possible connections? See my screen capture on the right (it also will show the MAC Address). In my case my adapter is set to see ONLY AC signals BTW.

Just how do you KNOW it is coming from your router? 

Message 4 of 10
JMackXIII
Aspirant

It's coming from the router because I've powered off all other devices that broadcast a WiFi and it's still there.. when I power off the router it's gone. And the Mac address is a Netgear Mac.. it's 100% coming from that device.
Message 5 of 10
JMackXIII
Aspirant

Top one is my 2.4. Bottom is 5...The Netgear97 is the one in question.
Message 6 of 10
IrvSp
Master

Did you make sure BOTH Guest networks are NOT on?

On the Advanced tab in Genie you'll see all 4 SSID's and the names. Does any have that SSID name?

Message 7 of 10
JMackXIII
Aspirant

Both guest networks are off. And neither have that name anyway.
Message 8 of 10
IrvSp
Master

Is that capture from a phone? If so are you using Genie or Nighthawk? Have you tried any sort of Network Analysers?

I assume selecting the "!" will show you the MAC address?

If this is a LAPTOP running Windows, well, it's network occasionally (at least for me) had phantom devices connected to it (known problem due to some services). Speaking of which, if a phone, could you have a HOTSPOT turned on or connected to the router?

Message 9 of 10
JMackXIII
Aspirant

I've used a network analyzer to get the MAC address of they wifi... I cannot connect to it as I don't have the password. It's 100000% coming from the router and not from anouter device. When I shut it off it goes away. I checked in the mobile geinie app and the only networks I see are mine and the two guests that are off and named something else
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E