Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7800 Router Change IP address

Firefly23
Tutor

Nighthawk R7800 Router Change IP address

Hi

Am installing a Nighthawk R7800 X4S. I would like to change IP addresses that the router has allocated to two wired devices to a different IP address so that they are out of the first few DHCP allocated addresses and give them addresses so that they are unlikely to be changed if the modem is reset. I would then allocate these as a type of static address. The devices are a NAS and CCTV DVR,

I cannot seem to find a reference to this in the manual or browser, but apologies if I've missed it.

Could anyone assist, please?

Thank you.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R7800 Router Change IP address

@Firefly23 wrote:

To example, I have a CCTV DVR that the Nighthawk has allocated an IP address of 192.168.1.2 and I would like to change it to 192.168.1.30 is that feasible,

Yes.  You can select the device on the address reservation screen, and set the IP addess to 192.168.1.30.

Getting the device to switch over to the new address can sometimes be tricky.  One way that always works is to power down the device, reboot the router, then power it back up again.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
LeeH
Prodigy

I set up static IP's for my printers.  I went into the Advanced tab then Setup and LAN Setup under that.  I left my DHCP starting IP address at 192.168.1.2 but changed my ending IP address to 192.168.1.199 and clicked apply.  I then manually set my printers IP addresses to 192.168.1.200 and 192.168.1.201

I then turned on all my network connected devices and used the +Add button at the bottom of that page to reserve each IP address including the static IP's.  But just reserving your DHCP addresses would also keep your IP addresses the same.

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

I just leave the DHCP starting/ending address alone, and reserve addresses within its range.  

I do use a simple system for reserving addresses (switches between .1 and .9, NAS between .10 and .20 kind of thing).

Message 3 of 6
Firefly23
Tutor

Hi LeeH and StephenB.

Thank you most kindly for your reply.

I fear I may not have explained the situation correctly. Am not particularly digital savvy.

To example, I have a CCTV DVR that the Nighthawk has allocated an IP address of 192.168.1.2 and I would like to change it to 192.168.1.30 is that feasible, please?

Thank you very much

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Firefly23 wrote:

To example, I have a CCTV DVR that the Nighthawk has allocated an IP address of 192.168.1.2 and I would like to change it to 192.168.1.30 is that feasible,

Yes.  You can select the device on the address reservation screen, and set the IP addess to 192.168.1.30.

Getting the device to switch over to the new address can sometimes be tricky.  One way that always works is to power down the device, reboot the router, then power it back up again.

Message 5 of 6
Firefly23
Tutor

Thank you StephenB.

I did use the power down method anyway and it worked out just as you said.

Really appreciate your help.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7