Nighthawk R7800 Router not working after Firmware Update 12/14/2016

Nighthawk R7800 Router not working after Firmware Update 12/14/2016

So, tonight I opened up Netgear Genie, go to Router Settings and Update and there's a new Firmware version.

I click it, it downloads and installs, does the 200 second countdown thingy and then won't let me log back into the Netgear Genie program with the default login and password.

BUT I had internet and could see all my devices. I just couldn't log back into the router itself.

So, after another 5 minutes I figure I'd just reboot the laptop. Again, had internet but couldn't log into the router itself with Netgear Genie. It said something about possibly not being supported.

So, this time, I power off the PC, power off the Router and power off the cable modem.

I waited about 60 seconds and rebooted the Cable modem.

All lights go on, working fine. So then I power up the Nighthawk Router.

Power light is red for a couple seconds, then goes off. The connection lights go on solid white for a couple seconds, then they go off too.

Now, all that happens is the Power light just blinks white repeatedly.

I can't connect to the router with any devices remotely and none of them can see the router's WIFI SSID when scanning.

I tried rebooting again and pressing the reset button, but nothing changes. The modem does show the link light while connected to the router and all the other lights are showing normal status too.

Any ideas? It was working perfectly fine until I ran the firmware updater. All I have at the moment is a blinking white power light on the router.

Thanks.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 6

Re: Nighthawk R7800 Router not working after Firmware Update 12/14/2016

So, I tried using the TFTP2 method over a direct wired connection to manually reinstall the firmware, but it's still not working.

It starts showing "Upgrading Flash" progress indicator, the white power light stays solid while it's happening and then it fails and goes back to blinking white again.

I tried starting it while pushing the Reset Button and when the power button is still amber during router bootup, but it just won't complete.

I set it to retry 10 times, but still no luck.

So frustrating... I can ping the router fine and get the proper responses with a ping test. But it's just not working otherwise.

Any other ides? Anyone?

Message 2 of 6
VE6CGX
Master

Reset the router after f/w upgrade finished? Press and hot it down for couple minutes until lights flash then let it go.

Wait unitl it reboots and see what happens. Also clear the browser cache.

Message 3 of 6

The reset button doesn't do anything at all.

I held it down while powering the router on and kept holding it for a minute - nothing changed with LED routine.

I held it down while router was already on and kept holding it for over 3 minutes - nothing changed with LED routine.

The power light just keeps blinking white after it boots up. It only stays solid white for a few seconds when I try to TFTP flash it. But then it fails and goes back to blinking again.

EDIT: when the TFTP fails, it says "Unable to get a reponse from the server". I'm using the standard 192.168.1.10 IP and I set 192.168.1.1 as the gateway server on the ethernet adapter settings. It looks like it's trying to do it but doesn't get a response for some reason. I run it in Administrator mode too. Still nothing.

Message 4 of 6
JamesGL
Master

Hi Netherscourge,

Check with support team for the warranty of your device. Ask for replacement if it is within the Hardware warranty.

Message 5 of 6
VE6CGX
Master

Can you ping the router? What do you see when you try  command 'ipconfig /all' ? If ping responds what is TTL value.

tftp only works when pre requisite condition is met. It is not cure all method.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E