Nighthawk R7800 WiFi lights are out

sdemiere
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7800 WiFi lights are out

Hello and good morning everybody.

I woke up this morning to find my WiFi lights are OFF (and subsequently, WiFi is unavailable). I have been operating with v1.0.2.04 for the last 6 months because the .56 firmware kept dropping my WiFi connection every few minutes and wrecking my VPN connection to work and I've found this was the only stable version.  I have tried versions .12 .44 .46 .52 and .58 (never tried it with .62 to see if they actually addressed the stability of the WiFi or not as the .04 was rock solid).

I have tried the following over the last 2 hours:

* Upgrade firmware

* Downgrade firmware

* Reboot

* Factory reset

* The WiFi button on the right (2nd button from the left)

* Disable and re-enable via the GUI interface

* Disable the schedule to turn WiFi off and on

So far, nothing has worked the lights are still out, yet, the WiFi shows Green on the homescreen of the GUI.  Does anybody have any suggestions on what I can try or do to make this start working again?

I do appreciate any assistance that anybody can provide.

Steve

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 6

Re: Nighthawk R7800 WiFi lights are out

@sdemiere 

Greetings,

The only ways to control wireless broadcast are the Wi-Fi button (on the device).  The Checkbox on wireless settings Advances tab > Set up > Wireless set up > "Enable SSID Broadcast" checkbox or the Turn Wifi Off On Schedule (Scheduler feature).

A full reset of the device should enable default wireless broadcasts.  However, I have read posts  where the Wifi on/off button actually caused the broadcast to remain off even after a reset or flash.  This is uncommon and rare.

The scheduler feature is not what I call intuitive.  It starts with Days to Block, yet you select "Everyday" to keep the broadcast on 24/7 and 0 : 0 for start and end in a 24hr time period.  So be sure this is on and not actually set to turn it off.   

Now ensure both broadcasts are turned on in wireless settings.  Save and reboot the router.  Let it fully restart and log back in from a device connected directly via ethernet.

Now press and hold the Wifi on/off button (on the outside) for about 3-4 sec, then release.  What's the result?

If this doesn't work, I would reset the device using the "Erase" option, then reflash the desired FW manually from the machine connected via ethernet.  Right from the GUI, not using Genie, or the auto-check and update feature.

If this doesn't restore functionality the router had suffered some level of hardware failure or is corrupt to a point you cannot probably recover from.

I know you have tried much of this already.  Good Luck!

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 2 of 6
sdemiere
Aspirant

Hello and good morning shadowsports, thank you for the response, I do appreciate your time.

I do all my firmware changes manually, I don't ever use OTA, call me old fashioned.

The scheduling is intuitive enough for me and as I said, everything was working fine when I went to bed and when I woke up every computer on my LAN (Wired and WiFi were crashed/frozen and needed a hard reset).  The WiFi button on the router (and the one next to it) is lit.  When I hold it for 3 seconds it goes out.  I waited some time, then 3 seconds again and the light came back on however the WiFi radio's did not.

I did try all your suggestions and nothing has changed unfortunately so I am suspecting that maybe the wireless radios have died or somehow become inoperable.

I do operate everything here on a battery backup/UPS system so I am confident there wasn't any sort of power spike, lightning, etc.

I will have to contact support and see about an RMA.  In the interim, I've put my old router back in place.

Thanks again for your time.

Steve

Message 3 of 6
ablatt
Apprentice

LED on/off switch on the back of the unit.

Message 4 of 6
sdemiere
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for your reply.

No, it wasn't that.

I finally got a support case opened so I could proceed with a hardware RMA and I have to say it's the biggest scam I've ever seen.  Get this.

So, I am beyond the 90 days tech support on the phone as my unit is 6 months old.  It has a 1 year hardware warranty.  So, they wanted me to pay $90 for the 6 month phone support so they could troubleshoot the device before they issued an RMA.  Now, in what universe does it make sense to pay for an RMA so they can troubleshoot to verify it needs a replacement under the 1 year warranty?  What a scam.

I did complain enough and they did the troubleshooting for free and they did determine that it needs replaced so I did get my RMA, but man, 6 hours of my life wasted on that yesterday.

This will be my last Netgear item.  I may very well just sell this router once I get the replacement and buy an ASUS which I should have done in the first place.

Steve

Message 5 of 6
myersw
Master

@sdemiere wrote:

This will be my last Netgear item.  I may very well just sell this router once I get the replacement and buy an ASUS which I should have done in the first place.

Steve

Sounds like a good plan. Just make sure the Asus model you pick supports RMerlin. 

https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/

The about lists supported routers.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements