Highlighted
Tutor

Nighthawk R7800 keeps dropping Ethernet devices

Every device connected by Ethernet keeps getting dropped from connectivity every 24 hours or so. The devices are DirectTV box, accurite weather bridge and an Xbox one. The wifi keeps working fine when those devices suddenly lose connection.

I've tried a factory reset, loading and older firmware and nothing seems to be working. The three devices are all blinking together instead of on there own on the router.

I'm currently running firmware: Router Firmware Version
V1.0.2.28 which is the newest. any help would be greatly appreciated.

My current solution is to keep rebooting the modem and it fixes the issue but the frequency is getting really annoying for a product I bought at the end of October.
Message 1 of 37
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Nighthawk R7800 keeps dropping Ethernet devices

Welcome to the community, @nryan2wc

Try to adjust the MTU setting on the router. 

How do I change the MTU size on my Nighthawk router?

Ping Test to determine Optimal MTU Size on Router

Just to verify, when you lose the connection on Ethernet your wireless connection still has internet access? 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 2 of 37
Highlighted
Tutor

Thank you for your reply @ElaineM . I appreciate the help. the MTU size seems to be adjusted properly I pinged and the max size worked out to be 1472, adding the 28 i got 1500 which is what the MTU size is currently set to. 

"Just to verify, when you lose the connection on Ethernet your wireless connection still has internet access? " that is correct everything on the wifi still has access so I don't usually notice until i go to use one of my ethernet connected devices.

Message 3 of 37
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I suggest that you contact support. Sounds like a hardware failure. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 37
Highlighted
Tutor

I'm having the same issue.  dropping ethernet devices but wireless connections are fine.  Any new information on this issue?

Message 5 of 37
Highlighted
Tutor

They replaced my router after a few attempts at fixing it with support, but the new router has the same issue. Tried rolling back all the way to firmware version v1.0.2.04 based on this thread: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7800-Loses-wired-internet-connection-but-wi... without much luck. 

If i was smarter i'd try to figure out how the voxel's modfied firmware worked, but I don't have a clue how to do that part. Wish it would work though its annoying having to reboot daily (sometimes multiple times). It seems worse when my xbox goes into sleep mode.

Message 6 of 37
Highlighted
Master

Hi nryan2wc,

If the same issue with the replacement unit, I would suggest to report back to them.

Message 7 of 37
Highlighted
Tutor

I worked with support and found out that if you update the bios you need to reset the router after the update and setup the router again.  You can save your configuration  after the bios update before you reset which makes it simpler.  So far no disconnects for the last couple of days.

Message 8 of 37
Highlighted
Master

Hi Bill721,

Thank you for the update.

Message 9 of 37
Highlighted
Tutor

I just failed again and dropped ethernet devices... All WIFI devices fine.   I have an open ticket can you please check it and see if they trapped it.

Message 10 of 37
Highlighted
Tutor

Just dropped again

Message 11 of 37
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Bill721 From our record, it seems that you have an RMA number. Did you get an email about the RMA procedure?

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 12 of 37
Highlighted
Tutor

Yes I filled it out and waiting for replacement.

Message 13 of 37
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Great. If you want to make a follow-up on the case, provide your case number or your RMA number to our customer care team at customer.service@netgear.com.

Use your name and the case number/RMA number in the subject line.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 14 of 37
Highlighted
Aspirant

I was having the same issue with the ethernet ports dropping (daily) but my wireless connection would be working great? I did a ping test to determine my optimal mtu settings which is 1444+28=1472 not 1500 which is the default setting. I am happy to say since changing the mtu I haven't had a problem with my ports dropping connection!!! Its been about 2 1/2weeks and counting!!
Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 15 of 37
Highlighted
Aspirant

Having the same issue... wired (ethernet) links drop while all else remains same. Happening daily now.

What is the current solution?

Message 16 of 37
Highlighted
Tutor

I'm have this same issue. Did changing the mtu work? Mine drops the connection every single day
Message 17 of 37
Highlighted
Tutor

No, it didn't fix it for me.   They replaced mine and I haven't had any issues since.

Bill

Message 18 of 37
Highlighted
Aspirant

Best to try to see if it works for you...
Message 19 of 37
Highlighted
Aspirant

My router has been doing this since day one. Is there a solution yet? I just reset mine when it drops. It's about 2 years old now. I have a PS4, Netgear gigabit switch and Xbox one connected to the Ethernet ports. I do not have this problem with my Asus or lynksis.
Message 20 of 37
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue and have tried everything from changing the MTU and factory resets and port monitoring and nothing will fix the problem. I somehow don't even have access to email support through my portal but its funny that it was working fine right up until the year hardware warranty expired! WiFi stays fine the whole time just all ethernet ports drop and lights all start blinking together. This is a major problem with an expensive router and I really hope someone at Netgear can get a solution to fix this! I wanted to buy a new model this next year but not a chance if this is happening in only a year. I am a big nighthawk fan since they came out and this is a real bummer. (How can a router mess up LAN connections only...? ). Also, I'm running newest firmware and reset after to make sure its a problem with the router for sure!

Message 21 of 37
Highlighted
Tutor

Try rebooting from the settings after you make your changes to the MTU and what not. That's what I did and it fixed it. It's been working fine for months now.
Message 22 of 37
Highlighted
Aspirant

Who is your isp? Mine is spectrum and i ended up having to disabling Ipv6 and haven't had any issues since. I would also recommend installing voxels firmware if you havent done this already. NG's FW is and always has been buggy...Voxel actually updates his FW....
Message 23 of 37
Highlighted
Aspirant

I changed my MTU to 1472 even though the math of adding 28 would mean it should be at 1500. I tried this the other day and did a manual reboot but it still dropped connection after about 24 hours. I just set it again and rebooted from the setting panel. Thanks for the help I will keep posting on how it goes!

Message 24 of 37
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hey, thanks for responding! I have Comcast here and average around 300mbs speed and this problem just started coming up a couple months ago even though the router has been fine for over a year. Not sure if it is something Comcast may have changed but I disabled ipv6 and also changed my MTU settings to 1472 for the time being. I think I will try the voxel firmware and hope that works a lot better its too bad NG has such bad support on their end for helping solve these issues and bad FW. Thanks for the help I will try the voxel FW and post after!

Message 25 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements