Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk R7900 2.4 ghz

capperrice
Star

Nighthawk R7900 2.4 ghz

Running the latest V1.0.4.46_10.0.53 on R7900 Nighthawk. Recently my 2.4ghz (both guest and main SSID) won't connect to Internet. All devices that are connected to it (printer, smart bulbs etc) lose connection. These devices can connect ONLY to 2.4ghz. I did a factory reset but after a day or two, I again lost internet connection AND devices cannot connect.

I figured out that if I remove the password all devices connect perfectly, internet connection works too.

Channel 1 (was recommended by the Nighthawk App), Upto 54 Mbps (I changed this to different values - Upto 217 Mbps, Upto 450 Mpbs but they didn't have any effect). Enable Smart Connect is OFF (Unchecked).

I would like to have the password security back and still have 2.4 Ghz work. Any workarounds used by others that I can try?

Message 1 of 22
plemans
Guru

You could try downgrading the firmware a version. 

Message 2 of 22
capperrice
Star

I was in the older version and its older version and its older version and this was a persistent problem. I rebooted the router several times to make it temporarily work. Thought there may be better workarounds than this.

Message 3 of 22
plemans
Guru

are you using any special characters/spaces in the ssid/password?

Message 4 of 22
capperrice
Star

The Main SSID does not have any special characters - just one straight word. However, the guest SSID has underscore. Let me try to turn off the guest and reboot and will post again here.

Lost the connection twice this morning already - lol - it looks like the router knows I am seeking help 😀

Message 5 of 22
capperrice
Star

Turned off all guest network (2.4 and 5) and still lost 2.4 connection to Internet and the devices again.

Message 6 of 22
plemans
Guru

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

Message 7 of 22
capperrice
Star

It is connected to a FIOS Modem of Frontier. It has its own 2.4 and 5 but it has a different name and has been switched off. Even though I cannot connect to the wireless of Frontier Cable Modem, both SSDs do show up as available. I am planning to reset this FIOS modem as well.

I am uploading a older version of firmware 1.0.3.18_10.0.42 (20191024 Release notes) as I do remember that this problem was not there about 2 years ago.I will reenter my settings manually after the downgrade instead of uploading a configuration file.

Will post results.

Message 8 of 22
plemans
Guru

turning off the wifi doesn't disable the frontiers router functions. it leaves you in a double nat. It normally doesn't cause much issues but occasionally it does. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 9 of 22
capperrice
Star

I removed the Frontier Router completely. When I talked to them, apparently I didn't need it at all. So I connected R7900 directly to the wall and backdated the firmware to R7900-V1.0.3.18_10.0.42.chk.

Rebooted the modem - all works fine. Two 5ghz, One 2.4ghz wifi doing great - for a couple of days. 2.4ghz is again behaving weird. Sometimes it allows new connections but without internet OR doesn't allow new connections at all.

I changed settings to different security levels for the 2.4ghz (SSID is one word - Kaplan) - no success!

During this process, both 5ghz channels work great!

Hardware issue perhaps?

Message 10 of 22
plemans
Guru

how many devices are on 2.4gh?

Message 11 of 22
capperrice
Star

About 25 to 50 max on 2.4ghz. Another about 20 on 5ghz

UPDATE - When I removed password from 2.4ghz, all devices work great. I put a password and happiness is only for couple or so days.

Message 12 of 22
plemans
Guru

25-50? that router only supports 32 per channel. 

If you've got up to 50 on a channel, its why you're getting issues on some devices. 

Message 13 of 22
capperrice
Star

Ah! I think as soon as I reach more than 32 on 2.4ghz, it starts behaving crazy! No new connections, existing connections drop etc!!

This is mainly because I have a bunch of Feit Ceiling Smart fixtures that ONLY works on 2.4 ghz (about 20 of them - large house - about 4700 sqft).

I am ready to upgrade!!!!!

Any recommendations of Netgear product for a larger size home (Mesh is absolutely ok) that can satisfy more than 32 devices? Wifi 6 or 6E? I really prefer a mesh as I can have my Ring cameras (moved them out from 2.4ghz to Chime Pro Network. Chime pro itself is connected to 5ghz) connect directly to home wifi instead of to Chime Pro Network.

Message 14 of 22
plemans
Guru

If its mainly on the 2.4ghz (not high bandwidth) a simple basic access point that has 2.4ghz would work. Even if you have an old router sitting around. They don't require much speed/bandwidth so even old equipment will work as well. (just make sure if its a router, you put it in AP mode). I haven't ran into the issue in a while because I've been on a mesh system for quite a while but its just to add something so you can split the load so you're not maxing out that 32 devices. 

with a 4700sqft home, if you upgrade, a mesh system would be a good option. Plenty more coverage and works great. If you have the option of hardwiring in access points, I'd even look at the business grade stuff like the SXK30 or SXK50 (support more connected devices than consumer). They're dual band but can run off a hardwired backhaul to preserve speeds. If you don't have that option, then I'd look at the triband stuff. 

You potentially won't get the same peak speeds but much higher speeds at the peripheral. 

Message 15 of 22
capperrice
Star

Please let me know if I understood the concept correctly here.

I saw SXK30B3 - 3 satellite extender at Amazon. Gives me 6000 sqft, 40 devices. If I use my existing R7900 as an AP (wired into the SXK30B3), I will have a bunch of wifi devices connect into R7900 AP (32 max). The wifi extenders (2) will be strategically located to cater to 2.4 and 2 other 5ghz channels. I cannot connect through wired for the extenders (I believe you used the term backhaul). They will connect wirelessly with the main router.

Who does the DHCP? R7900 or SXK30B3 or both?

What I like about the above is I can potentially get 2 more extenders at a later date to increase coverage to 10,000 sq ft - if I move to a bigger home.

PS: I am also looking at Costco website and they have quite expensive Netgear Routers. $850 can handle 100 devices! The above setup if it works - is much cheaper- I can reuse R7900. Not sure in what way the more expensive routers would be better. I have 1gbps upload/download FIOS.

Message 16 of 22
plemans
Guru

The SXK system isn't extenders. Its a router and 2 satellites (SXR30=router, SXS30=satellites). And its a dual band system. Again, its not an extender its own router/satellite ecosystem. Just want to make that clear so you're not trying to add satellites to the r7900 as it won't work. The satellites (SXS30) have to connect to the router (SXR30)

The biggest downfall to dual band mesh systems is that they have to share the bandwidth between front haul/backhaul. That means they only have roughly half the available bandwidth. If you're not needing the peak speeds at the peripheral of your home, they'll work great. But if you're wanting the best possible, then either hardwiring them in or going with a triband (and its dedicated backhaul) will make a difference. 

You can go R7900--->SXK30---->Satellites

You'd want the SXK30 system in access point mode to prevent a double nat. 

the R7900 wouldn't work as a satellite but it could be its own wifi. You'd just want to make sure it was using a different ssid and on different wifi channels to prevent interference. 

Message 17 of 22
capperrice
Star

@plemans, you are more than just a GURU - you are a GOD in this!  😀

Till then, thinking of the following setup temporarily. Trying to follow on the cues that I understood. It won't get me the best reach but right now I am not having any problems with wifi dead spots in the home. Please let me know if I am on the right track here.

Wall -> R7900 -> Frontier Router (dual band - ARRIS NVG468MQ - want to use only a modem) to be set up as AP. Since this is near Kitchen, Living Room, Walkway etc, I can connect many of the Smartlights to ARRIS 2.4ghz and the remaining to R7900 2.4ghz.

Next project:

Message 18 of 22
capperrice
Star

If I start the Guest Wifi at 2.4ghz, will that help in adding another 32 devices OR is it a total of 32 devices spanning both the main SSID and Guest SSID?

Message 19 of 22
plemans
Guru

doesn't matter if you use guest or not, its a band limitation so if you move some over to guest, you're still limited to that 32. 

If you have the frontier gateway (that has its own wifi), simple leave it in router mode with its wifi on and put the netgear in AP (access point mode). 

Then you can put some devices on the frontier gateway's wifi and some on the netgear to share the wifi load. That should allow you to run plenty of devices. 

Message 20 of 22
capperrice
Star

Would it still be Wall -> R7900 -> Frontier Modem? If so, can you please share the reason why not as AP for frontier modem?

Message 21 of 22
plemans
Guru

I'm not sure exactly is coming from "the wall". 

Usually that modem is a modem/gateway device so I assumed (my bad) that it was acting as the gateway. 

If its not and running in router only mode, then you could use either device as the AP. Then its more of what features either router offers as AP mode disables some features. (and some routers have better built in features)

https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7